Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Ginger Fist & Phoenix Eye

Another Yoshiyahu thread!!

Without first developing good structure throughout and good wing chun dynamics including
    footwork and timing and learning and training the details of the fist with good teacher(s)-jabberwocky
    and watching you tube can just get one into trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Hahaha, why not, just for the fun of it. Old clip.

The aim is to train alignment, balance, consolidation. Not for the purpose of hardening knuckles. And don't damage those sentivitve fingers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnLFY...0&feature=plcp
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

watching too much kung fu movies

Guys if you want to success take most of your theories and do the opposite !

Quote Originally Posted by MOSHE View Post
    Guys if you want to success take most of your theories and do the opposite !
    You don't know my theories
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    You don't know my theories
    just refering to the general picture of these recents threads

and on this particular point ,about practising push up on the phenix fist

body is not in concrete and push up is perhaps the worst exercice that a wc guy can do
    Last edited by MOSHE; 10-30-2012 at 12:51 AM.

Yoshi, do these clips reflect your views?
    IMHO clip1 - forget the phoenix eye fist, it will never land because it is hard to throw an accurate strike whilst unconcious and everything done up to it is so horribly bad that being KO'd is almost a certainty.
    clip2 - the bloke is wasting his time. If done properly this exercise will damage his hands, done the way he is doing it is actually giving his other arm a work out and is effectively a one armed push up. His wrist alignment on the arm supposedly working the phoenix eye and his weight distribution show how little work that hand is doing.
    clip3 - Does anyone else do ginger fist like that in their Biu Jee? (Genuine question to the forum) In every version of the form that I've seen, the move being shown (where its included) rises. Some perform it as a ginger fist others do not but the BS in this clip about how to form the fist and the consequences of each incorrect formation almost made me cry.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Moshe says:
    body is not in concrete and push up is perhaps the worst exercice that a wc guy can do
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Agree. Developing local musculature is a poor way to go for developing wc skills(Joy )
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

wingchunIan saysnsequences of each incorrect formation almost made me cry.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saddening.A dialog of the deaf between some who need to learn wing chun and some who laugh at wing chun because they have seen some bad wing chun posting on this forum and on youtube. Yoshiyahu's compulsive posting
    makes him a lost leader of of the first group.Responding to his posts adds to the mess.(Joy)

PS-Y's "student" may develop a strong knuckle for knuckle heads but it "ain't" the phoenix eye fist
    (joy)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    Moshe says:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Agree. Developing local musculature is a poor way to go for developing wc skills(Joy )
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

wingchunIan saysnsequences of each incorrect formation almost made me cry.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saddening.A dialog of the deaf between some who need to learn wing chun and some who laugh at wing chun because they have seen some bad wing chun posting on this forum and on youtube. Yoshiyahu's compulsive posting
    makes him a lost leader of of the first group.Responding to his posts adds to the mess.(Joy)

PS-Y's "student" may develop a strong knuckle for knuckle heads but it "ain't" the phoenix eye fist
    (joy)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Joy
    Push ups are an excellent all round exercise AND if you dont like Yosis posts..... post your own!

Not everyone wants to do push ups on the PE, fair enough.

But if you haven't done one, or can't do one, or haven't discovered what it can teach you, don't knock it because you don't know it.

The key to do a proper PE push up, is not about hardening your PE, but to teach your entire upper apparatus to find a fine alignment where your power can be expressed through a single line. Once you have taught your body to find it, whenever you punch your alignment is expressed and your power come through.

Do you need to do it regularly? No, it is not for hardening knuckles, nor for building local muscles. But every now and again, use it to check your power line if you are developing unevenness or kinks in your power line.

Don't mock what you don't understand.
    Last edited by imperialtaichi; 10-30-2012 at 06:22 AM.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

As with all things, doing something the wrong way is not good.
    PE fist push ups is a mainstay in almost every system that uses the PE fist as a primary fist.
    It is, however, done on a progressive basis and done with correct alignment.
    Like the "forging" of any specialty fist, it requires slow progression and correct treatment.
    I am not sure what Moshe means when he says that push ups are the worse exercise for a WC person...
    Push ups are a stable of EVERY MA ever developed because they work.
    The muscles involved are the chest, tricep, lats and back muscles, forearms, wrist, all the muscles involved in ANY forward "punching" movement.
    It is common sense that strong muscles are better than weak muscles.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Joy
    Push ups are an excellent all round exercise AND if you dont like Yosis posts..... post your own!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Glenn
    I post a fair amount from time to time but do not do video clips..not much of a techie and in passing don't do facebook, link or twitter. I have a chapter on wing chun- pak tan flow and lop da flow with photos in the Asian Martial Arts book just published by the Journal of Asian Martial Arts.It's available via kindle and nook.

Yes pushups are an all round exercise.. can help with "pushing" type of power(overhead right)-less useful for developing explosive spring power. I doubt that TST did much pushups. or IM.

Several southern fists have phoenix eye but the power train of wc IMO is quite different from chuka fist and southern mantis.

Gradual "unification" of the body via slt and ck is a prelude to good explosive power-baujajing
    and the wc biu jee level of the springy explosive phoenix eye punch

I post a fair amount from time to time but do not do video clips..not much of a techie and in passing don't do facebook, link or twitter. I have a chapter on wing chun- pak tan flow and lop da flow with photos in the Asian Martial Arts book just published by the Journal of Asian Martial Arts.It's available via kindle and nook.
    Fair enough, but why not post it here?

Yes pushups are an all round exercise.. can help with "pushing" type of power(overhead right)-less useful for developing explosive spring power. I doubt that TST did much pushups. or IM.
    Id disagree with this

Several southern fists have phoenix eye but the power train of wc IMO is quite different from chuka fist and southern mantis.
    But, id agree with that

Gradual "unification" of the body via slt and ck is a prelude to good explosive power-baujajing
    and the wc biu jee level of the springy explosive phoenix eye punch
    Im sure a push up or two wouldnt hinder this

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yes pushups are an all round exercise.. can help with "pushing" type of power(overhead right)-less useful for developing explosive spring power. I doubt that TST did much pushups.
    Oh really..... I guess you know TST quite well then?

And I guess having a strong body is detrimental to developing explosive spring power as well then?
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    As with all things, doing something the wrong way is not good.
    PE fist push ups is a mainstay in almost every system that uses the PE fist as a primary fist.
    It is, however, done on a progressive basis and done with correct alignment.
    Like the "forging" of any specialty fist, it requires slow progression and correct treatment.
    I am not sure what Moshe means when he says that push ups are the worse exercise for a WC person...
    Push ups are a stable of EVERY MA ever developed because they work.
    The muscles involved are the chest, tricep, lats and back muscles, forearms, wrist, all the muscles involved in ANY forward "punching" movement.
    It is common sense that strong muscles are better than weak muscles.
    Sorry SJR, I thought common sense was banned in this forum?
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    Oh really..... I guess you know TST quite well then?

((I have met him several times and have rolled with him in Seattle and Houston on his trip to the US. Quite well ?No. Joy))

And I guess having a strong body is detrimental to developing explosive spring power as well then?
    ((not detrimental but does not ipso facto create whipping power. Sanjuro does a good phoenix eye but it's not a wc phoenix eye.I do not recall any shot of Dun Wah(Sanjuro's sigung) doinga good wing chun phoenix eye. If so a picture would be good.
    Strength also can be function specific. Different kinds of strength for different purposes.joy))

((Glenn- JAMA's copyright requirements prevent posting shots of the pak tan and lop da examples-pictures here. But the pictures and article is available through JAMA, Amazon-kindle, Barnes Noble-Nook(the da could be turned into a phoenix eye if so chosen)Joy