Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reduce appetite

Reduce appetite

In the low carb & caffeine topic, Robin mentioned that people usually eat a lot more than the recommended servings of things. The example she gave was that one serving of rice or noodles should be a half cup, not a whole bowl.

I need to lose weight, but I could probably eat a half cup in two bites. Please give me suggestions for appetite reduction.

Are there foods that are more satisfying and are relatively "safe" for weight/health? (I know fruit juice is the opposite, so you don't need to tell me that one.)

Also, are there any natural appetite suppresants? (Besides smoking :D )

Thanks!

Robinf Guest
    I don't know about suppressants. I'm fortunate in that I was able to change the way I think about food--that it's fuel like gasoline. Even when I go out to eat--I look at my entree as two meals, and take the other half home for the next lunch.

The less you eat, the more your body will get used to not eating and the hunger pains will subside. This is NOT an easy process. It takes mind power and changing the way you think about food.

You mentioned that you would eat that half cup of rice or noodles in two bites. That's another key. Eat slower, smaller bites and really taste the food. I've found bulk items like rice and pasta filling, but meat is also filling (usually chicken, turkey, or fish--salmon, I feel, is the most filling of any fish I eat). Also, try using smaller plates or bowls. That might be enough to trick your mind into seeing more.

Be certain you know how many calories your body needs in a day to maintain whatever weight you want to be. This can be figured out by a nutritionist or your own doctor. If you want to got the nutritionist route, a good place to look is the American Dietetic Assocation's site http://www.eatright.org At least they're licensed so there's some control over what knowledge they have to have.

I will tell you that I lost 55 pounds and have kept it off for 7 years now. I lost the weight simply by changing the way I eat and what I eat and by going out for at least one hour walks.

The eating plan that works for me, beside ADA recommendations, is eating what I would have for lunch at breakfast, eating what I would have for dinner at lunch, and eating breakfast at dinner time. Snacks are whole fruits and veggies (I'm on a salad kick, 2 grams of fat dressing, and I stay away from juices), light yogurt (calcium and vitamin D), and nuts (everything in my diet is lowfat, so I had to add in nuts for fat). Tons of water. Crystal light adds some flavor to plain water when I'm not in the mood for just water.

I've been eating like this for a year and a half and am quite happy--much happier than any other plan I tried.

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

Thanks! That's quite an encouraging and comprehensive reply. I can use a lot of those ideas. Any more tips?

joedoe Guest
    I've also found that chewing your food more helps. It means you digest your food better and it draws out how long it takes you to eat. This means that you brain has time to register that the stomach is full. Which brings me to another point.

If you finish your meal and still feel hungry, wait 10 minutes then see if you are still hungry.

Guns don't kill people, I kill people

Robinf Guest
    Gum. Annoying, but it gives your mouth something to do. I found that some of my eating was done because of boredom, but gum seems to stave that off for my mouth--then I just have to occupy my hands/mind. I chew sugarless because it's better for the teeth and the flavor lasts longer.

Hard candy can help with those empty hunger pains in between meals and snacks. Again, it gives the mouth something to do, and tricks your mind/stomach into believing you've eaten something.

Take the stairs. At work, in malls, don't use the elevator or escalators, start hiking those stairs. I work on the 6th floor, and my cardio in my martial arts workouts has actually improved.

I'll try to think of more.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

SevenStar Guest

suppression

water - the best no calorie drink in all the world. have a few cups while/before eating, and you will get full faster. Also, I have heard that it takes 21 days for something to become a habit. I dunno if this can apply to food, but if it can, the after three weeks of drinking more water with your meals, you should be used to eating less and have no problem controlling your appetite.

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; A fool speaks because he has to say something."

joedoe Guest
    Actually, I was told not to drink too much water while eating because it dilutes the stomach acid and then you don't digest properly. Plenty of water about 10 minutes before helps though.

BIU JI Guest

A little off topic but,,,

What are the thoughts on protein drinks to help in training? I used one before and I feel it helped with general energy levels after training and helped somewhat with muscle building but haven't used for a while now . Though Ive heard some stories about they don't really work . At the time I first purchased it I described that I wasn't weight lifting but was more athletic with kung fu so the guy suggested a mix protein/carbo formula.

If anyone can give some advise on this it would be appreciated.
    PEACE

ope Guest

K Chow

i fill up on fruits before or after i have a meal to help fill me up...

SevenStar Guest

Protein Drinks

They can aid greatly with weight training. And you have heard partially right about them not wroking. Some of them pack more fat on your your frame than muscle. You have to check the ingredients and be sure to get a good brand. And some if the premixed stuf I.E. slimfast may not be as beneficial, as the protein in it dilutes over time while in liquid form. (There is a more scientific explanation about the proteins in the pre mixed stuff breaking down, but this is just a quick post.)

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; A fool speaks because he has to say something."

SevenStar Guest

Water and stomach acid

I agree, but the key is moderation. Moderate amounts of water with meals have no harmful effects. Soups, milk, beverages like tea and coffee and most of our so-called solid foods like cucumber, tomatoes and fruits like melons contain large amounts of water. No one has ever claimed that these should not be taken with meals.

joedoe Guest
    Sounds fair. :)

Don't forge that in fruits and vegetables like cucumber and watermelon there are often enzymes in the food itself that aid in digestion.

But water in moderation during the meal should be OK.

BIU JI Guest
    From what I've read from taoist health books you need to look also at food combinations . Some fruits don't work well together, not to consume foods indiscriminately.Just piling on good foods in any order doesn't help either.

joedoe Guest
    Biu Ji,

Yeah, I read that somewhere too. Also there is the seasonal factor - only eat fruits and vegetables that should be in season. You also should eat foods according to whether you need heating or cooling foods. Never tried it but it is interesting.

premier Guest

I'm no expert, but I read an article about fasting...

It said that fasting (the juice fast) reduces the appetite a lot.

However. the article also said that fasting might trigger latent diseases like Diabetes.

Go figure.