Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does WC work?

Quote Originally Posted by wtxs View Post
    Thanks for the video link ... however the video title clearly said "Wing Chun - The Ultimate Demonstration," not competition.
    You are right back to my point!!!

Would a non-wing chun mma guy be able to do well at said demonstraitions?
    Last edited by Yoshiyahu; 11-01-2011 at 12:16 PM.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

To some extent this is true, you train for what genre your in. But on the street, a punch to the face is still a punch to the face. Their ability to hit hard and take a punch can be applied on the street.
    In my opinion, why you don't see wing chun in mma is with gloves, you don't have knock out power. With gloves you need momentum based punches to have any real power. Now, I'm not saying Wing Chun can't hit hard, but all the power displayed are always without gloves. You have to start using other methods for power if you have gloves, more hard style type power generation, adding moment, hip and body movements. you can add this to your wing chun if you do MMA, but is gonna look quite different then traditional Wing Chun.
    As far as does wing chun work? depends how you train. I feel there needs to be some sparring or you'll never learn timing and how to apply your wing chun at speed.

Quote Originally Posted by mesar View Post
    To some extent this is true, you train for what genre your in. But on the street, a punch to the face is still a punch to the face. Their ability to hit hard and take a punch can be applied on the street.
    In my opinion, why you don't see wing chun in mma is with gloves, you don't have knock out power. With gloves you need momentum based punches to have any real power. Now, I'm not saying Wing Chun can't hit hard, but all the power displayed are always without gloves. You have to start using other methods for power if you have gloves, more hard style type power generation, adding moment, hip and body movements. you can add this to your wing chun if you do MMA, but is gonna look quite different then traditional Wing Chun.
    As far as does wing chun work? depends how you train. I feel there needs to be some sparring or you'll never learn timing and how to apply your wing chun at speed.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A good wing chunperson shoold have "knockout"(and worse) power with or without gloves.
    Beginners usually don't.

Not just Wing Chun, but I would love to see a Trad. Kung Fu used in high profile fights, like how Machinda ultised Shotokan in UFC.

Thats the problem, you don't see it. Good wing chun or no. look at the nuances you do to get your power, some of those you cannot do with gloves on. Using wrist for instance. The type of power transfer, at least how I punch, you punch relaxed and upon impact you stick very briefly to transfer energy. With gloves on, this is reduced.

Thats the problem, you don't see it. Good wing chun or no. look at the nuances you do to get your power, some of those you cannot do with gloves on. Using wrist for instance. The type of power transfer, at least how I punch, you punch relaxed and upon impact you stick very briefly to transfer energy. With gloves on, this is reduced.
    Do you really think a WC punch with utilization of yiu ma wouldnt do damage or knock you if it connected correctly?
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Do you really think a WC punch with utilization of yiu ma wouldnt do damage or knock you if it connected correctly?
    lol depends how you do it. Put on boxing gloves.Then hit the bag with yiu ma, played around with elbow position, distance of rotation, energy and still keeping it functional and repeatable. Not doing the one hit and I'm done. So simple answer is yes.
    Last edited by mesar; 11-04-2011 at 07:12 PM.

lol depends how you do it. Put on boxing gloves.Then hit the bag with yiu ma, played around with elbow position, distance of rotation, energy and still keeping it functional and repeatable. Not doing the one hit and I'm done. So simple answer is yes.
    I did that today!