Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of YM's students fought??

How many of YM's students fought??

I ask this because a student asked me. It is an honest question.
    Actually I was glad he asked me. He's interested in fighting and like me feels that one needs to learn fighting from someone with fighting experience. I'd even ask how many WC people from any lineage fought?
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

I was told by my Sifu that the Ho Kam Ming and Fong lineage were fighters. They fought in full contact fights all over Asia. I am sure there are many others.

That's good too know. I keep getting comments on our student's fight clips saying that WC wasn't made for full contact.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    yeah, but comments from who?
    "The moon is not affected by the baying of wolves"
    There will always be people who never put in the time and proper training to make their Gung-Fu effective, whether it be in the ring or the street.
    It's funny how these are usually the ones who have the most to say.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    There will always be people who never put in the time and proper training to make their Gung-Fu effective, whether it be in the ring or the street.
    True.

"Those who know do not talk. Those who talk do not know." - Chapter 56, Tao Te Ching
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    This seems to go with the number of people, including some in this forum, who say what Alan Orr's people do is not Wing Chun.

i am one of those people. perhaps the only one, but i am open minded.

i asked if someone could please point out in the videos one instance where any WC fighting principle is used, because i see none.

and before someone says "loy lau hui sung", that means more than just being aggressive or else any unskilled fighter who just rushes in could be said to follow that principle.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    i am one of those people. perhaps the only one, but i am open minded.

i asked if someone could please point out in the videos one instance where any WC fighting principle is used, because i see none.

and before someone says "loy lau hui sung", that means more than just being aggressive or else any unskilled fighter who just rushes in could be said to follow that principle.
    how can a style that is meant to be so efficent and effective then have so little prove of it working on tape, why do you think this is?

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    how can a style that is meant to be so efficent and effective then have so little prove of it working on tape, why do you think this is?
    Why do so many WCK fights, where someone tries to show later how various WCK techniques were used, don't even have any plain old vanilla WCK (chung choi) punches in them?? Is it that hard to use WCK punches?

Beats me.. I have no trouble using those punches..
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    Why do so many WCK fights, where someone tries to show later how various WCK techniques were used, don't even have any plain old vanilla WCK (chung choi) punches in them?? Is it that hard to use WCK punches?

Beats me.. I have no trouble using those punches..
    then show us it working, or point to a clip of it working, thats all people are asking for.

its all well and good people saying that it works and they can make it work, but in this day and age surely one or two videos must be around of people using what evryone agrees is good wing chun, hell we see enough demos of good wing chun and enough videos of what people call bad wing chun in fights wheres the good stuff in action?

the lovely "mc dojo"phenomenon has ruined pretty much every martial art

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Against a skilled fighter it can work well if and when you've gained a position at very close quarters - and against a scrub it can work well from just about anywhere.

But imo, against a skilled fighter, (ie.- boxing, kickboxing, Muay Thai, some karate, wrestling, etc.) - some longer range type moves that don't really exist in wing chun, per se...are in order so as to get to close quarters without being picked off first with boxing type punches, or possibly kicks, or a shoot to the legs, or whatever.

I use boxing leads, crosses, round punches, overhands, etc. to get in close (and possibly some long range kicks)...and then drop my elbows down-and-in...and go to work with vertical fist blasts frequently when I spar with guys who are good at the kinds of arts I've mentioned.

No vids to show of this right now, as I'm in a major transition looking for a new school location, but will try to post something on this in the future.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 04-02-2010 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    the lovely "mc dojo"phenomenon has ruined pretty much every martial art
    Not really BJJ clubs, Thai clubs, boxing clubs, judo schools full contact karate schools can all point to videos of guys using there stuff in competition looking exactly like they do in training ...even if mc dojo is to blame there must be a few schools that spar and have the good stuff if not then the whole style must be brought into question surely?

Not really BJJ clubs, Thai clubs, boxing clubs, judo schools full contact karate schools can all point to videos of guys using there stuff in competition looking exactly like they do in training ...even if mc dojo is to blame there must be a few schools that spar and have the good stuff if not then the whole style must be brought into question surely?
    those are still very few

ive seen plenty of lousy boxing and thai clubs out there

and no the style shouldnt be brought under question the way its taught andf who is teaching it should

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    those are still very few

seen plenty of lousy boxing and thai clubs out there
    No actually there are lots of good thai and boxing gyms, hell i live in the middle of nowwhere and i can find three thai gyms run by proven fighters and two good boxing gyms (one of which randy turpin and his brothers trained in), and 2 judo clubs both with good competition records.......

But thats not the point the point is regardless of what you or i say about the state of thai, boxing or BJJ the fact is i can post dozens of clips of good thai guys using there art, same for boxing and judo etc, i can post hundreds of them a quick youtube search throws them up, yet there is not 1 good video of wing chun that guys on this forum can agree is good wing chun in action.... don't you find that a bit odd?