Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bruce Lee and Hung Kuen

Bruce Lee and Hung Kuen

I never seen those pictures, I already heard that Bruce Lee had some lessons in Hung Kuen (not properly learned the style) but always wondered with whom he trained...anyone knows more ?

Wasn't it a hung gar form/varient he performed for the movie screen testers?
    There should be a video of it floating around if you havn't see it before...

EDIT: video here if it's new to u:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOvmOSqTLzY
    Last edited by 5thBrother; 10-27-2011 at 10:33 PM.
    Supporter: The Australasian Martial Arts & Self Defence Forums - http://www.OzMAForums.com

interesting comments.

That looks like a younger version of GM Frank Yee in the photo. Can anyone confirm?

As for Bruce and HG..I read somewhere that HG was one of the arts which he derided because he felt it was too traditional..

But I've heard him refer to "the classical mess" and other perjoratives..but never heard him mention Hung Kuen by name..

not for sure on this but, it may be james lee.

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Definitely not pics of GM Yee Chi-Wai.
    Those photos are of Bruce Lee and Taky Kimura, one of his original students.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I think the Frank Yee comment was referring to the partner , guy in blue, maybe?

Not sure, I think it's taky kimura also, photo from Bruce's first book ... can't recall the name at...

Btw... I just saw on this Doco where Bruce learned Gung Lek Kune and the end of this clip looks similar to what he demos in the screen test maybe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KFHedb_0mA
    Last edited by 5thBrother; 10-28-2011 at 08:04 PM.
    Supporter: The Australasian Martial Arts & Self Defence Forums - http://www.OzMAForums.com

do a google-taky kimura pics and these will be among them.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Interesting how he talks about the kung fu punch being like the "ball on the end of a chain". Sort of, but almost like a chain that is thrown out and then a ball magically appears at the end, as the chain reaches its full length.

EO

I have been researching Bruce's connection to Hung Kuen for some time with little results as far as specifics. He definitely was trained in some of the classical stances and attacking movements (such as the crane beak picture).
    Jesse Glover (first student of BL) was asked if in Bruce's first book "Chinese Gung Fu" if those were karate postures and he said no, they were from the Hung.

Also, Jesse mentions learning a Hung form from Bruce that was very long and Jesse performed this at various demonstrations.

WHO Bruce learned Hung Kuen from I have never been able to find out. He would have learned it in Hong Kong before leaving, so circa 1957-1958. Since his father was a famous man, Bruce could have trained with anybody from a beginner to a seasoned master.

Id love to hear more thoughts on this subject!

In the video I posted above about gung lek keun, 4:20min mark and again at 9:00min mark the end after the wong sheung leung wing chun stuff) You can clearly see the "reverse punch" in the form, as well as a crane like technique, as well that teacher teaches many animal techniques looks like ....

So I'm thinking he learnt these Hung like techniques from that teacher in the video or even just from that form.

Now whether or not that teahcer is a Hung Sifu, giggles :P err Hung Gar Sifu or not is a question.... but i'm assuming some kind of "shaolin" or "southern shaolin" ... Although the first form the teacher does is Northern Praying Mantis O_o .... so looks like a mix of styles at the school ...

I'm guessing Bruce either learned 1 single form of either Hung Style or had Hung Style like techniques in it rather than actually studied Hung Gar/Kuen
    Last edited by 5thBrother; 11-03-2011 at 06:26 PM.

Im curious about the picture posted of Bruce doing a Crane beak attack on Taky Kimura.....I know this technique is found in Hung Kuen Crane form, but how do you know its not a technique from White Crane gung fu? Or do both arts have that same attack?

5thBrother,
    As far as the form at the 9:43 minute mark where Shiu Hon Sang is re-enacting teaching "Bruce", I believe that is the Jeet Kune/Jie Quan form found in the Chin Woo Curriculum. There are photos and video of Bruce performing that form all over the place, it seemed to be one of his favorite forms to perform.

I'll have to look at my notes on Shiu Hon Sang....I know he learned several southern arts including Choy Lay Fut, but I'll have to double check to see if he got Hung training (Im guessing yes.)

You mention the first form he demonstrates is a Northern Mantis form! Could you tell me the name of it?
    I see Shiu Hon Sang demonstrate several movements:
    4:21-4:26
    4:27-4:30
    4:31-4:35
    I dont know how familiar you are with various forms, but if you have any ideas of the art/form name, Id love to hear more (That goes for everybody to comment, not just 5thBrother!)

Thanks so much for the posts, please continue!

Quote Originally Posted by TopCrusader View Post
    Im curious about the picture posted of Bruce doing a Crane beak attack on Taky Kimura.....I know this technique is found in Hung Kuen Crane form, but how do you know its not a technique from White Crane gung fu? Or do both arts have that same attack?
    Fukien White Crane has it, as does Tibetan White Crane. Techniques from both of those systems were absorbed into Hung-Ga, so it's all three.
    CLF also has it as well....
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I'll ask Jesse (and Taky) the next time I see them..

"but how do you know its not a technique from White Crane gung fu? Or do both arts have that same attack?"

Don't forget...that Wing Chun was based supposedly on the arts of the snake and crane..
    Last edited by LaterthanNever; 11-04-2011 at 04:45 PM.

"but i'm assuming some kind of "shaolin" or "southern shaolin" ... Although the first form the teacher does is Northern Praying Mantis O_o .... so looks like a mix of styles at the school ..."

I've been told that Bruce studied some southern mantis from GM Gin Foon Mark..but I have no way of confirming that.

I do know that Bruce learned some southern mantis and northern mantis from Master Fook Yeung(another prominent figure in Bruces' martial arts syllabus who in my opinion gets far too little credit)

Hey, the Northern Mantis form is Bung Bo Kuen ... I'll chekc the video again later