Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New students Kung Fu warm up

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    That Spicoli dude is ray? really?
    LOL, Spicoli

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    if you really valued what your Sifus taught you, you would be working on more internal, and eight pieces of brocade, rather than that kickboxing stuff.
    The drill where we punch each other's punch (stupid punching) and when we punch each other's shield (tree trunk punching) was something we did every class with my master.

When we punch each other's punch and then go right to the chin, with back hand blocking, that was a drill I developed off principles I learned from my master.

Ray, do you work in peek-a-boo style blocks along with the cross blocks in your vid? I have found the set up from a body shot to hook off the peek-a-boo block to be very effective.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    Ray, do you work in peek-a-boo style blocks along with the cross blocks in your vid? I have found the set up from a body shot to hook off the peek-a-boo block to be very effective.
    I don't know enough about "peek-a-boo" in that I've never had anything I learned in boxing or TMA called that.

What I was taught and value from my teacher is the principle that the wrists/hands should occupy the Party Line (if you place a long pole on your shoulder and the opponents) which essentially covers the line between your neck and the others. Think of a 12 inch tube going from face to face.... that's a crucial space to occupy.

The hands never go side to side or wax on wax off. The hands go out to the others neck, the elbow takes care of outside or mid-level attacks. Most times you can counter attack right away and use the same arms elbow to deflect.

I also like one hand goes out, the other goes back-hand blocking/tuck the chin for insurance. The other hand can go out too, but then the other must transform to back-hand blocking for insurance.

I used to take a heavy lead (right or left) and still do. But now with an MMA influence I also like staying more square with the hands up for quicker level changes.... from time to time.
    Last edited by Ray Pina; 10-25-2011 at 10:23 AM.

Peek-a-boo is basically a stance with the hands up in front high that rolls to the sides and counters. Often times it can intercept a punch similiar to the drills you are using. It is used by many boxers but most famously by Mike Tyson, particuarly in his younger years with Cus D'Amato.

The cross style block you and your student use is a similar notion but the hands are turned upwards towards the head, this allows for fast and devasting hooks and shovel hooks.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato