Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should San Shou be open to all competitors and styles?

Should San Shou be open to all competitors and styles?

Do you believe that TCMA tournaments that hold San Shou events should limit participation to only TCMA practioners or should any style be allowed to compete under these rules. Personnally I think it would go a long way to allow all styles to compete under San Shou instead of trying to make it strictly for Kung Fu. Thoughts?
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

100% open to all.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Yes.

Here are some extra words because the forum requires it: purple, monkey, majesty, whirlygig, amoeba, scrabble, Lord John Whorfin
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

I know there are events that anyone can compete in San Shou but I have also heard of "closed" type events where San Shou competitors have to prove they come from a TCMA background. I think this is a negative approach and further alienates us Kung Fu practioners from the rest of the martial arts world. It also takes from us the opportunity to fight and learn by competing against competitors from other arts.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

open to all styles !

ginosifu

all styles!!!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    open to all styles !

ginosifu
    Gino, at the Great Lakes tournie are you guys having forms and continuous sparring competitions again. Last time I was there is was only San Shou and Shuai Ciao?

sure, why not? It has a rule set, so any style can enter, they just have to stay to the rule set and it's all good.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    sure, why not? It has a rule set, so any style can enter, they just have to stay to the rule set and it's all good.
    True, but why is it certain organizations try to keep other styles or competitors out. I personally feel it betters one as a martial artist to be able to test yourself against other styles.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    True, but why is it certain organizations try to keep other styles or competitors out. I personally feel it betters one as a martial artist to be able to test yourself against other styles.
    Testing oneself VS OTHER systems is the only thing that keeps a system from becoming "inbreed" and obsolete.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Blog Entries
    When you are not strong enough, sometime it's better to make youself strong first before open yourself up to face the outside challenge. When you are as strong as the US military, you can attack any country if you want to.

Gino, at the Great Lakes tournie are you guys having forms and continuous sparring competitions again. Last time I was there is was only San Shou and Shuai Ciao?
    Yes we have everything form forms, weapon, push hands, continuous, Shuai Chiao and san shou.

Although we invite everyone from all styles and areas, no one outside of CMA comes to our event for Shuai Chiao or San Shou? Now why is that? Why is it that other styles don't come? Do they feel they can not modify their technique for our competition? Are they scared they will see how bad they really are?

Any other CMA tournament promoters see this?

ginosifu

I've had this discussion before, and really if there was that big a demand for San Shou from non CMA corners there'd be a thriving shootboxing scene, which there clearly isn't.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

i think bawang has a good idea. fighting with bare knuckles on raised platform. with the world of mma, the only way to compete with that to draw a lot of attention is to up the ante so to speak. no pads at all, nice and hardcore. that will up the attention and the spectators, and when that demand for good solid NHB striking with throws is made, the people will flock to fight, just like ufc.

most people would much rather watch a couple of guys with tiny gloves beat each other bloody than some padded up guys with headgear on in a boxing ring.

get rid of the gloves, get rid of the ropes. then you will see people screaming for blood. once the masses scream for blood, you are there.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    i think bawang has a good idea. fighting with bare knuckles on raised platform. with the world of mma, the only way to compete with that to draw a lot of attention is to up the ante so to speak. no pads at all, nice and hardcore. that will up the attention and the spectators, and when that demand for good solid NHB striking with throws is made, the people will flock to fight, just like ufc.

most people would much rather watch a couple of guys with tiny gloves beat each other bloody than some padded up guys with headgear on in a boxing ring.

get rid of the gloves, get rid of the ropes. then you will see people screaming for blood. once the masses scream for blood, you are there.
    You make a valid point, Lucas.

The "problem" as the powers that be see it, is balancing realism with safety. And as a result of that, you'll probably never see bare knuckles. But maybe a minimal glove.

An amalgum pro structure, encompassing the best of SanShou, KuoShu and SanDa rule sets, with minimal safety gear and maximum utility could fit the bill. But only IF all the red tape hurdles could be cleared, enough money was thrown in to draw calibre fighters AND you could actually get those fighters to wander over and give it a try.

Imagine a structure that allowed standup technique with hand, foot, elbow and knee... grappling, throwing AND submission IF skillfully applied within, say, 5 to 10 seconds of hitting the ground.

Now THAT is something I would both pay to see and come out of retirement to be a part of!
    One of these days the world is going to become so politically correct that it will scare itself out of existence.

MP 2007