Thread: Kung Fu Schools in Edmonton

Kung Fu Schools in Edmonton

So, I already did a search of the forums for kung fu schools in Edmonton, Canada, and the couple of threads there are seem to be a few years old now, so I figured I'd make another inquiry.

I am already aware of the major schools here (Ging Wu, Alberta Kung Fu and Chiu Lau), but I was wondering if anyone here is aware of any alternatives here, because I think I would like to try something other than hung gar and wing chun.

Edmonton

Frank Lee has a white crane/kick boxing club. There is the Green Dragon school which is Choy Li Fut/HG/Hakka arts. There is also a Bak Mei club. There is a wu shu school downtown (they also have tai chi etc)....

What exactly are you looking for? Might help in knowing where to send you. Haven't lived in Edmonton for 15 years but I have quite a few contacts in that city.

Google also brought up at least 6 more schools.. lots of choice in the Chuk these days :' )

R
    Last edited by R; 10-24-2011 at 04:33 PM.

I was pretty much just looking for a good traditional school with a harder style, and I'm open to both northern and southern styles.

CLF would be good (but I don't know anything about Green Dragon, except that it's a chain school, with locations all over - haven't heard anything about them locally either), and I've stopped by Frank Lee's and they do exclusively Muay Thai now. Bak Mei is pretty appealing too.

So really, I'm just looking at the range of options other than what's in the Yellow Pages...

Quote Originally Posted by R View Post
    Frank Lee has a white crane/kick boxing club. There is the Green Dragon school which is Choy Li Fut/HG/Hakka arts. There is also a Bak Mei club. There is a wu shu school downtown (they also have tai chi etc)....

What exactly are you looking for? Might help in knowing where to send you. Haven't lived in Edmonton for 15 years but I have quite a few contacts in that city.

R

Gdkf

A chain store?

They have their main school in Edmonton and a few other clubs in different provinces. I wouldn't really consider them the same as chain styles like ''Tracy's Kempo'' and the like. You can see that they don't have that many clubs and the ones listed are in different cities fairly large distances apart. The ones in Winnipeg, Minneapolis and Bismark are all over 15 years old and run by long term first generation students.

I would go down and take a look at any school I was interested in and see what their classes are like. Talk to the instructor, perhaps a few other students and see what they have to say about the club.

I do know that these guys are the ones that do the demo's for the local Chinese Freemasons so they have some degree of credibility within the chinese community.

FWIW

R

Thanks for the info and advice!

I do check out whatever school I consider training at, but I usually try to get as much info as I possibly can ahead of time (like I say, I already went to Frank Lee's and found out they only do Muay Thai now). The most important thing right now if just finding out the range of styles here and if there are any schools that a google search and the phone book won't turn up.

I'll put GDKF on the short list for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by R View Post
    A chain store?

They have their main school in Edmonton and a few other clubs in different provinces. I wouldn't really consider them the same as chain styles like ''Tracy's Kempo'' and the like. You can see that they don't have that many clubs and the ones listed are in different cities fairly large distances apart. The ones in Winnipeg, Minneapolis and Bismark are all over 15 years old and run by long term first generation students.

I would go down and take a look at any school I was interested in and see what their classes are like. Talk to the instructor, perhaps a few other students and see what they have to say about the club.

I do know that these guys are the ones that do the demo's for the local Chinese Freemasons so they have some degree of credibility within the chinese community.

FWIW

R

You should check out Ji Hong Wushu & Tai Chi College. They're very good. They teach the major styles of Tai chi such as Chen, Yang and Wu/Hao. As well they teach Wushu and San Shou. Very reputable school. Their website is http://www.jihongtaichi.com/

yup

Quote Originally Posted by yoji View Post
    You should check out Ji Hong Wushu & Tai Chi College. They're very good. They teach the major styles of Tai chi such as Chen, Yang and Wu/Hao. As well they teach Wushu and San Shou. Very reputable school. Their website is http://www.jihongtaichi.com/
    These guys have been around for ages as well!

R

Chiu Chuk Kai Tai Chi Praying Mantis

Ng Tai Man (Tom Ng) teaches in Alberta. CCK TCPM is a great sytem. Shang De Tai Chi Praying Mantis Martial Arts Association has a facebook page and you can read more about Tom Ng here "Shifu Ng Tai Man's primary focus was on fighting techniques and qigong and he is one of the very few who graduated qigong studies and is qualified to teach it. Sifu Ng Tai Man became shifu Zhao Zhu Xi's [Chiu Chuk Kai's] sixth Graduate Disciple in 1972."

Address 6565 Gateway Boulevard NW (Right behind Truck Outfitters), Edmonton, AB T6H 2J1 · Get Directions
    Phone +1 780.489.0019
    Website http://shangdemantis.com/
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Thanks for all the suggestions and input. A friend of mine here just told me he trained with Shang De a couple years ago, and speaks very highly of that school.

I'll start hitting the street right away.

Quote Originally Posted by TaichiMantis View Post
    Ng Tai Man (Tom Ng) teaches in Alberta. CCK TCPM is a great sytem. Shang De Tai Chi Praying Mantis Martial Arts Association has a facebook page and you can read more about Tom Ng here "Shifu Ng Tai Man's primary focus was on fighting techniques and qigong and he is one of the very few who graduated qigong studies and is qualified to teach it. Sifu Ng Tai Man became shifu Zhao Zhu Xi's [Chiu Chuk Kai's] sixth Graduate Disciple in 1972."

Address 6565 Gateway Boulevard NW (Right behind Truck Outfitters), Edmonton, AB T6H 2J1 · Get Directions
    Phone +1 780.489.0019
    Website http://shangdemantis.com/

TC Mantis

Forgot about these guys... a mate of mine is highly into TC Mantis and has also had good things to say about the sifu in question.

R