Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Reasons why Kung Fu will be endlessly debated

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    Although I wanted to dodge this entire idiotic thread...I did want to pop in on this sub-topic that is getting out of hand: technique vs. principle.

Principles of TCMA are not all poetic deep things...Some principles are fairly straight to the point, yet still encompassing a great many actual body movements and can be talked about and discussed. Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water here.
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

OK folks.......the demonstration on how to deal with Trolls has ended.

Thank you David for partcipating with a few more lame and impotent retorts. I know it wasn't that difficult for you appear impotent.

The point of this little demonstration everyone, was to show how to deal with Trolls without the need for over moderation by an adolescent Peac0ck with delusions of grandeur. One who criticizes and bans others for doing what he does himself and then flaunts himself, as if driving the forum into mediocrity is some great achievement! You all know who I mean!

You see, all the problems we had with Trollls could have been dealt with by simply NOT RESPONDING TO THEM! We didn't need over moderation if everyone would have just taken responsibility for themselves.

I mean, COME ON we train to hurt other people, which involves being hurt ourselves in training and in real life encounters, but some people here can't handle having their feelings hurt. This should be part of your training. If you can't take ridicule from internet nobodies, maybe you shouldn't be training in the martial arts in the first place. Or if you recognize your emotional weakness then use public ridicule from dimwits on the internet as a means of training. Use it to learn to not care what others think.

Personally I don't care why other people train. They can dance, they can believe in internal magic, they can think BJJ is the cats meow. If they get something out of it good for them. But if you want to be a tough guy, strong enough to fight people physically then man up a bit, because if your emotional state is so fragile you cannot ignore someone you think is harrassing you or insulting your style or sifu or lineage history, etc, you are too weak to believe you are any kind of martial artist.

In the famous words of bawang.......DO MORE SQUATS!!!

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    Judging by Scott's response, I'm guessing there were a few recent posts that turned the tide of the topic a bit and so I sounded rather silly. Sorry then :P
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

Quote Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
    Judging by Scott's response, I'm guessing there were a few recent posts that turned the tide of the topic a bit and so I sounded rather silly. Sorry then :P
    No, no, just the usual thread side bar!

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    exactly - case in point: I interrupted a ridiculous flame war on the thread about standing on the taiji forum bec u had this guy Robinhood spewing drivel about how no one understood true internal blah blah blah without offering a shred of substance to back up his broad useless statements; of course, when i dismembered his comments, he naturally stated that my speaking in specifics was long-winded and proved how I knew nothing about internals; so I asked him to answer some very specific questions about standing practice, which, of course, he couldn't, and so he promptly disappeared; subsequent to that, I posted several times regarding specific details of standing practice from a variety of viewpoints, with the goal to stimulate discussion; the outcome? so far, the sound of chirping crickets has been resounding...

why is that? simple: it's easier to flame (and lord knows, I luv a gud flame war) than to speak dispassionately about something on a technical level for a sustained period of time, bec it takes discipline of argument to stay on point and reason through things when u hav an emotional attachment to certain viewpoints; if u want to hav a productive discussion, u need to depersonalize and speak to salient facts in a measured way; otherwise, it's futile
    Actually, you are being way too modest. The fact is, once you have posted your well thought out and comprehensively explained perspective, there is frequently nothing left to say!

Like I warned Robinhood, I told him, he would be sorry, but nooOOOooo, he would just HAD to keep pushing!

Thumbs up Gas

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Maybe there should be a discussion on why anyone should care?

I personally don't care what anyone thinks about anything. I mean emotionally, I like others people's opinions when they are fascinating for some or other reason, but the debate about whether Kung Fu is this or that, or that other thing over there, is immaterial to me, because it is any or all of them according to one's person perspective.

The argument is usually boring, but information about history or theories or principles can be interesting to me.
    Yep, no further bean re-frying for me either. Burnt beans smell like **** napalm.