Thread: Po Pai Jeung

Po Pai Jeung

Does anyone know the Chinese characters for Po Pai Jeung? It means carrying/holding the sign board. It's a double palm strike but not the Woo Dip Jeung.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Here you go, we have this in Wuzuquan too..

抱牌手 - Bao Pai Shou

抱牌掌 - Bao Pai Zhang
    Last edited by 五祖拳; 11-10-2011 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Edited with better translation.

Quote Originally Posted by 五祖拳 View Post
    Here you go, we have this in Wuzuquan too..

抱牌手 - Bao Pai Shou

抱牌掌 - Bao Pai Zhang
    Thank you so much. I've been trying to find those characters for a while.
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 11-11-2011 at 11:26 AM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Blog Entries
    Sifu Redmond,

I always hear of native speakers complaining that trying to Translate Cantonese into English is difficult enough...especially when they see Romanized translations of thier language without the Tones.

I gather that you're query is about something different and perhaps this is not exactly what you're asking about, but:

http://naamkyun.com/forum/viewtopic....Break+Rib+hand

But it might offer some other tid bitts of info. You know, the more the knowledge the better?

Ease on,
    "O"
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

hello, the term is 泼皮掌

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    hello, the term is 泼皮掌
    My understanding is that Po Pai in Cantonese means holding a sign/placard/board. And that the phrase comes from the tradition of someone in a funeral carrying a placard with the surname of the deceased.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Hi Phil & bawang,

Originally I had posted a different translation based on a cursory viewing of the "Wing Chun Compendium" via Google Books: (I hope the image isn't too big for everyone?)

Which I believe is - 抱排掌 - if my eyes aren't deceiving me?

Remembering we have a similar move in the Wuzuquan form "Zong He Quan" I checked out a video:

..which turned up the characters - 抱牌手 - which I thought was a better translation, certainly accurate to the question Phil had posed.

I'm sure though that there are many translations out there. Meanings change as people pass stuff on orally.
    Last edited by 五祖拳; 11-11-2011 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Edited due to hotlinked image blocker

Also, I don't do Wing Chun, but those that do might be interested in this Wikipedia page with translations of terms common to the style:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wing_Chun_terms

Bao pai zhang isn't on there, but there is a lot of other good stuff.

While in Chinatown today I showed the characters I had to a few Chinese martial artists that I know including a White Crane Sifu who is well versed in other Southern Chinese martial arts. They all agreed that the characters below are the ones used for Po Pai. And they ALL said that it means carrying the sign. When I mentioned the reference to carrying the name of the deceased in a funeral he also agreed. The only difference is some of the Sifus used hand instead of palm in their systems.

抱牌掌 Po Pai Palm

抱牌手 Po Pai Hand
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr