Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Observations on a shuai jiao clip

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    maybe our definitions are different.

outside to me = grab distance, the traditional wrestling posture.
    inside to me = the distance of chest to chest where you can gain leverage or your opponent can.
    Now I understand your definition. Thanks for explaining it. I prefer to divide it into 3 distance:

- wrist play distance.
    - arm control distance.
    - final clinch distance (head lock, underhook, overhook, waist hold, bear hug, ...).

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Trips are good too but you tend to end up in guard or at best half guard
    The only concern that I have by using single leg or double legs to take your opponent down is that your opponent still have 2 free arms. After you have taken your opponent down, you still have to deal with his free arms. If you control your opponent's arms before you take him down, you will have early start for the rest of your game.

It seems to me that there are 2 options.

1. Take your opponent down 1st and then control his arms.
    2. Control your opponent's arm 1st and then take him down.

Chinese wrestling prefers the 2nd option (plan ahead).

When people said that TCMA does not have ground game. The difference is that the ground game is planed during the stand up stage. In the following clip, it's easy to see that after you have taken your opponent down, you are already in the side mount position.

http://youtu.be/-YUGv13mdKE
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-29-2011 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Now I understand your definition. Thanks for explaining it. I prefer to divide it into 3 distance:

- wrist grab distance.
    - elbow grab distance.
    - head lock, underhook, overhook, waist hold, bear hug, ... distance.

The only concern that I have by using single leg or double legs to take your opponent down is that your opponent still have 2 free arms. After you have taken your opponent down, you still have to deal with his free arms. If you control your opponent's arms before you take him down, you will have early start for the rest of your game.

It seems to me that there are 2 options.

1. Take your opponent down 1st and then move into dominate position.
    2. Control your opponent's arm 1st and then take your opponent down.

Chinese wrestling prefers the 2nd method (plan ahead of the game) that you only take your opponent down after you have a complete control on at least one of your opponent's arms.
    theres a 3rd option use your double leg (or single) to secure dominate position as you land, it neglates a big problem in that in submission wrestling if you control an arm and fall into the guard you can still get sub'd, bypass the legs by landing in side control and you wont get sub'd, in submission grappling if i control the hips i win, arms are secondary passing the hips and controlling them are the primarly goal