Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Observations on a shuai jiao clip

Observations on a shuai jiao clip

Share three specific technical observations on this clip, observations that are useful for a kung fu player reading this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYqW67992Yw

My three:

1) I like watching SJ and judo clips, because there is a lot more use of the hooking and sweeping footworks that are common in kung fu, and so it's interesting to see how, when the grip makes the two very close, they seek to keep their legs out of range. This clip is typical in that sense.

2) It's great to see how, until someone falls, in both SJ and judo clips, the game is still on. There's a number of times in this clip that one contender has the beginning of something, but his opponent hooks his leg, hold on, and then reverses.

3) I like watching the gripwork at play in SJ, the shorter jackets makes it interesting to compare with judo. I may be mistaken, but it seems like some SJ players mess around with holding their opponent away from them before coming in.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    it seems like some SJ players mess around with holding their opponent away from them before coming in.
    That's correct observation. In SC(SJ), you try to play with your opponent's wrists first. When the chance arrive, you move into his elbow, and then move into his neck, or his waist (depend on your height). You try to move in step by step. When you feel anything unfortable, you break your opponent's grips, move out, and start all over again.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-27-2011 at 02:08 AM.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Was a nice reversal for the double leg dump the one guy did.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    Share three specific technical observations on this clip, observations that are useful for a kung fu player reading this.

My three:

1) I like watching SJ and judo clips, because there is a lot more use of the hooking and sweeping footworks that are common in kung fu, and so it's interesting to see how, when the grip makes the two very close, they seek to keep their legs out of range. This clip is typical in that sense.

2) It's great to see how, until someone falls, in both SJ and judo clips, the game is still on. There's a number of times in this clip that one contender has the beginning of something, but his opponent hooks his leg, hold on, and then reverses.

3) I like watching the gripwork at play in SJ, the shorter jackets makes it interesting to compare with judo. I may be mistaken, but it seems like some SJ players mess around with holding their opponent away from them before coming in.
    Leg hooks, donkey and stomp kicks, and reeps and sweeps are all an important part of control and upsetting your opponent's balance in CMA. It is easy to see how this was added to many Kung Fu systems that were influenced by Shuai Jiao. By the same token, Judokas do this also as you pointed out. As I said, when you upset your opponent's balance and root the set up for the throw becomes much more natural.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Blog Entries
    He used "single leg" at 0.09 and 1.27. Compare the SC "single leg" and wrestling "single leg", what's the difference between 2 different approaches do you guys think?

- The SC guy uses one hand to grab the leading leg and use the other hand to push the shoulder.
    - The wrestler uses both hands to grab the leading leg.

Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-28-2011 at 02:58 PM.

while one version gives you more control over the leg itself, and less chance of the person being able to free their leg, the other version disrupts the balance more severly but allows a greater chance for the person to free themselves. i think both methods are good, and more a matter of personal preference or training history than anything else.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    He used "single leg" at 0.09 and 1.27. Compare the SC "single leg" and wrestling "single leg", what's the difference between 2 different approaches do you guys think?

- The SC guy uses one hand to grab the leading leg and use the other hand to push the shoulder.
    - The wrestler uses both hands to grab the leading leg.

0.09 looked like a simple knee tap and run down, 1.27 looks like it would be hard to get without the jacket to hold, first one you could hit with and underhook i do it all the time

honestly in wrestling without the gi top i dont think you would be able to hit the second one unless the guys of balance and then its iffy his hands would be in defending the hit and he wuld have too much weight on the leg just to lift it with a single arm, wrestling uses a stiff arm to take down off a single, but first you have to get the leg, and then swtich see following clip at the start for how to get the leg and about 3.17 for the stiff arm
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuJF0...eature=related

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    0.09 looked like a simple knee tap and run down, 1.27 looks like it would be hard to get without the jacket to hold,...
    Agree with you 100% there. I like the word that you use, "simple knee tap and run down". That's exactly the SC "knee seize" does. Since SC doesn't have the wrestling type of "single leg", I always compare SC "knee seize" with the wrestling "single leg". SC "single leg" is to lift your opponent's body over your head and then throw him behind you, or to pick his body up horizontally and throw him in front of you. It requires a lift motion.

The jacket may change the game completely. Without jack, it's difficult to "pull". Without pulling, it's difficult to borrow your opponent's backward resistence force. This is the major problem when you change from jacket wrestling to no jacket wrestling. You just have to find a new way to "pull".
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-28-2011 at 07:15 PM.

Agree with you 100% there. I like the word that you use, "simple knee tap and run down". That's exactly the SC "knee seize" does. Since SC doesn't have the wrestling type of "single leg", I always compare SC "knee seize" with the wrestling "single leg". SC "single leg" is to lift your opponent's body over your head and then throw him behind you, or to pick his body up horizontally and throw him in front of you. It requires a lift motion.

The jacket may change the game completely. Without jack, it's difficult to "pull". Without pulling, it's difficult to borrow your opponent's backward resistence force. This is the major problem when you change from jacket wrestling to no jacket wrestling. You just have to find a new way to "pull".
    hence non jacket you have to use your whole body to get the weight off the leg, as you say you cant do it like SC because they are not wearing a jacket, you can move someone around with an underhook but you are that much closer that when you go for the legs you have to go with both arms because if you keep the underhook and try for the leg with the other arms you at that range leave yourself open to a lot of trouble you are too close to be that structurally weak

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    you can move someone around with an underhook but you are that much closer that when you go for the legs you have to go with both arms because if you keep the underhook and try for the leg with the other arms you at that range leave yourself open to a lot of trouble you are too close to be that structurally weak
    The underhook is not the best way to move your opponent around. There are better ways just for that purpose.

If you can get underhook, you no longer need to move your opponent around. You are there already. When you are in underhook position, you can do a lot of throws such as hip throw, leg block, leg lift, leg twist, spring, knee seize, inner hook, outer hook, shin bite, inner heel sweep, ... You don't need to depend on your single leg any more.

You use single leg when you are facing to your opponent (non-body contact throw). When you get underhook, you can turn your back to your opponent (body contact throw). You have just entered a different door that will require different tools from your toolbox.

Most (not all) of the Chinese throws are to "use your arms to control your opponent's upper body and use your leg to attack your opponent's leg/legs". Since your leg can now reach to your opponent's leg/legs when you are in underhook position, you no longer need to use your arms to reach your opponent's leg. It's time to apply your "leg skill".

One of the "outer hook" leg move used in underhook can be seen in this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eVGBLUSHf8
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-29-2011 at 02:08 AM.

you vid. -wrestling calls it the grapvine trip or so the generic term for it.

You use single leg when you are facing to your opponent (non-body contact throw). When you get underhook, you can turn your back to your opponent (body contact throw). You have just entered a different door that will require different tools from your toolbox
    chest to chest as I presume your speaking about is the zone for line up on throw. this does require differing aspects than the outside clinch, but this is where you gain the most leverage. IMO being able to transition from outside to inside clinch (under/overhooks-chest to chest) is the hardest thing to teach people. a lot of times its a defensive measure with people, butts out and upper body leaning in, one arm plum, other on opponents hip etc. I guess it's a fear thing when it comes to getting that close to someone.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    I guess it's a fear thing when it comes to getting that close to someone.
    For a grappler, the closer you are, the safer you will feel. The fun is always at the "final body rotation - turn your back to touch your opponent's chest and then spin".

transition from outside to inside clinch (under/overhooks-chest to chest) is the hardest thing to teach people.
    Is your definition of:

- outside (non-body contact) = your chest faces to your opponent's chest?
    - inside (body contact) = your back touches on your opponent's chest?

When you get into underhook, something will happen. Either you will take your opponent down, or your opponent will take you down. It just depends on who will get better "dominate position" after that. The stand up game will end right there.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-29-2011 at 10:33 AM.

The underhook is not the best way to move your opponent around. There are better ways just for that purpose.

If you can get underhook, you no longer need to move your opponent around. You are there already. When you are in underhook position, you can do a lot of throws such as hip throw, leg block, leg lift, leg twist, spring, knee seize, inner hook, outer hook, shin bite, inner heel sweep, ... You don't need to depend on your single leg any more.

You use single leg when you are facing to your opponent (non-body contact throw). When you get underhook, you can turn your back to your opponent (body contact throw). You have just entered a different door that will require different tools from your toolbox.

Most (not all) of the Chinese throws are to "use your arms to control your opponent's upper body and use your leg to attack your opponent's leg/legs". Since your leg can now reach to your opponent's leg/legs when you are in underhook position, you no longer need to use your arms to reach your opponent's leg. It's time to apply your "leg skill".

One of the "outer hook" leg move used in underhook can be seen in this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eVGBLUSHf8
    there are other ways to move you opponent (arm dgars, 2 on 1 etc, but without a GI the underhook always for great control and ability to move

submission and pinning wrestling styles see it differently, as a submission guy i am always warily of back to chest throws even with the underhook, for me the underhook allows me access to his body but also access to his legs for takedowns that allow me to continue my game on the ground, single leg and double leg takedowns from the underhook are good for this reason IMHO

Trips are good too but you tend to end up in guard or at best half guard

you vid. -wrestling calls it the grapvine trip or so the generic term for it.

chest to chest as I presume your speaking about is the zone for line up on throw. this does require differing aspects than the outside clinch, but this is where you gain the most leverage. IMO being able to transition from outside to inside clinch (under/overhooks-chest to chest) is the hardest thing to teach people. a lot of times its a defensive measure with people, butts out and upper body leaning in, one arm plum, other on opponents hip etc. I guess it's a fear thing when it comes to getting that close to someone.
    luckily for me i love this place now if we could just make a rule to start all fights in the clinch id be happy .......

For a grappler, the closer you are, the safer you will feel. The fun is always at the "final body rotation - turn your back to touch your opponent's chest and then spin".
    I agree but i'm speaking of someone that doesn't have experience, example would be a new student. I'm very comfortable in "close" zone. I do feel safer knowing I can feel the movements of the opponent.

Is your definition of:

- outside (non-body contact) = your chest faces to your opponent's chest?
    - inside (body contact) = your back touches on your opponent's chest?
    maybe our definitions are different.

outside to me = grab distance, the traditional wrestling posture.
    inside to me = the distance of chest to chest where you can gain leverage or your opponent can.
    When you get into underhook, something will happen. Either you will take your opponent down, or your opponent will take you down. It just depends on who will get better "dominate position" after that. The stand up game will end right there.
    agree. althrough "dominate position" can also translate to the ground.