Thread: 16 Da Dao Methods of Guan Yu

16 Da Dao Methods of Guan Yu

I read an description on an VCD which caught my eye. It was like "16 Da Dao Methods of Guan Yu" I believe it was on insidechina.com or so on, but I cant open it right now..
    I searched the web for this term "16 Da Dao Methods of Guan Yu" but didnt find anything.
    Has anynone maybe some infos about it ? I mean so often when you see a Guan Dao there is mentioning of Guan Yu, but never anything on how he trained, or anything he might have passed down to someone. Like other generals or famous martial artists.

Kind regards,
    Xian

Chop (large downward slash) / Rub(sawing motion) / Draw (straight cut across)/ Lift cut (rising cut from under)/ thrust/ cut and drag/ Rotate (also trap) / block (with the pole)/ pierce (like thrust, but with the pommel point)/ touch (like keeping someone at bay)/ throw (throwing it out like a spear and grabbing the end to pull it back after the hit.

+

double arm rotation, single arm rotation, over the head rotation, around the waist rotation, around the shoulder/back rotation.

these might be different depending on where the weapon was learned, who from, what they knew, the style and what it encompassed.

there are techniques that are in other styles like horse riding hops that I don't do with the weapon and other subtle things you see in one style but not another. It is a bladed long weapon so it has the principles of pole and the principles of single blade working for it.
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 10-26-2011 at 11:50 AM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Chop (large downward slash) / Rub(sawing motion) / Draw (straight cut across)/ Lift cut (rising cut from under)/ thrust/ cut and drag/ Rotate (also trap) / block (with the pole)/ pierce (like thrust, but with the pommel point)/ touch (like keeping someone at bay)/ throw (throwing it out like a spear and grabbing the end to pull it back after the hit.
    Thanks thats give me an little insight into the Guan Dao. Maybe I should add it was an description for one of Liu Zhen Hais VCDs on the Shaolin Guan Dao. There was this term "16 Da Dao Methods of Guan Yu" very shortly mentioned.

double arm rotation, single arm rotation, over the head rotation, around the waist rotation, around the shoulder/back rotation.

Yeah I saw some of the shoulder rotations in one of these videos.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vzXB...eature=related
    Very impressive especially it seems for me its no flexible blade on his weapon. Most demonstrations I saw seem to be these modern Wushu Like Guan Daos.

these might be different depending on where the weapon was learned, who from, what they knew, the style and what it encompassed.

there are techniques that are in other styles like horse riding hops that I don't do with the weapon and other subtle things you see in one style but not another. It is a bladed long weapon so it has the principles of pole and the principles of single blade working for it.
    Yeah I am aware of such differences in kind of saber and stick techniques. My primary style the Siu Lam Weng Chun which focues like the Wing Chun Families on
    on the long pole and the Butterfly Knives and we use the so called 6.5 Principles for it. Tai(raise), Lan( block), Dim(point),Kit(deflect), Got(Downcircle cut) , Wun (Circle) and Lao(flow ). One thing I have to addmit in terms of the Guan Dao is this:

It is a bladed long weapon so it has the principles of pole and the principles of single blade working for it.
    I knew that and in the same time I didnt comprehend it. Know I dit it. Special thanks for that.

Kind regards,
    Xian

That video has been sped up to make him look more vigorous. Some of the techniques are interesting. I can't figure out what the one is where he holds the back of the blade with the pommel up high..
    Kung Fu is good for you.