Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Combat SJ Jackets...?

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    David C. K. Lin told me that he had told Omar that Omar is not allowed to lose even one round during his SC tournament era. That's a very serious assignment as long as Omar keeps competating in SC tournaments.

I had required one of my old students to do the same. later on, he told me that I had expected too much out of him, and he could not handle that much responsibility. He finally became a Judoka and left the SC community.

Any superstar in the field is hard to find and even harder to keep.
    I think I recall you saying that Chang Dong Sheng would say not to compete unless you were 100% certain you would win. I think you guys are promoting a good attitude to have if you want to be the best you can be.

I won't really start competing until next year, hopefully in the Spring if I'm ready. I've been trying to train as if I might have to fight any day, so when the time comes I'll be as prepared as I can be.

The biggest problem I have now is finding people to practice Shuai with on a frequent basis. Between the two schools I study at, I can't find many who want to consistently train outside of class time. I've learned over time that it's a rare individual that wants to push themselves hard outside of class.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by XinKuzi View Post
    I think I recall you saying that Chang Dong Sheng would say not to compete unless you were 100% certain you would win.
    When GM Chang competed on the stage, there was a famous SC master 佟忠乂(Tong Zhong-Yi) who was under the stage in the audience seat. When the referee announced that if anybody want to challenged my teacher before the referee announced him as champion, Tong's friend asked Tong if he was going to get on the stage and challenged GM Chang. Tong said, "I prefer to lose in my seat than to lose up there on the stage (you can't lose if you don't compete)".

I don't believe in "learn from failure". It's just too often that if you lose the 1st time, you may get back up and try the 2nd time. If you lose the 2nd time, you may get back up and try the 3rd time. After you have lost 3 times in a role, you may never be able to get back up again for the rest of your life.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-28-2011 at 07:45 PM.