Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hip grinding whilst trying to do box splits, is this normal?

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    two traditional terms to describe a powerful martial artist are fists of iron , and thousand pound of strength. being able to splay your legs wide like a stripper doesnt mean anything.

instead of being vain and trying to obtain your black sash, you should do squats.
    I think that's a little disrespectful to be honest, you don't know me in the slightest, so what makes you think you are in a position to say I am vain? I qualified the statement about my desire to get my black sash by also saying that I didn't think the colour of my sash was that important.

I posted a question to get some advice, I don't think anything I said warranted an attack on my character.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by KJW View Post
    I think that's a little disrespectful to be honest, you don't know me in the slightest, so what makes you think you are in a position to say I am vain? I qualified the statement about my desire to get my black sash by also saying that I didn't think the colour of my sash was that important.

I posted a question to get some advice, I don't think anything I said warranted an attack on my character.

Kevin
    Don't take bawang seriously! He doesn't mean anything by it. You have to get to know him to know much of what he posts is tongue and cheek!

He had a picture up for years of sammo hung saying Sammo was his mother and she is strong!

He also frequently makes comments about doing squats! He is a serious martial artist, but also clowns around. He is also chinese and knows alot about chinese history and has a unique perspective on how our western culture has romanticized kung fu so that it is hardly recognizable to people from china not trying to milk money off of us ignorant round eyes!

Try to be patient and wait and watch him and you will grow to admire his hilarious schtick as he makes fun of our western romantization of chinese martial arts.

For him his comments are in good fun and not a direct insult to you, but a satirical commenary on western attitudes towards kung fu!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Don't take bawang seriously! He doesn't mean anything by it. You have to get to know him to know much of what he posts is tongue and cheek!

He had a picture up for years of sammo hung saying Sammo was his mother and she is strong!

He also frequently makes comments about doing squats! He is a serious martial artist, but also clowns around. He is also chinese and knows alot about chinese history and has a unique perspective on how our western culture has romanticized kung fu so that it is hardly recognizable to people from china not trying to milk money off of us ignorant round eyes!

Try to be patient and wait and watch him and you will grow to admire his hilarious schtick as he makes fun of our western romantization of chinese martial arts.

For him his comments are in good fun and not a direct insult to you, but a satirical commenary on western attitudes towards kung fu!
    I did wonder, but humour doesn't always come over so well in the written word, unless you are Shakespeare or ****ens..

ha ha it doesn't like ****ens - the author of Oliver Twist then..

Yeah! That is why for bawang you have to see his pattern over time. He can be blunt and offensive and even seem a bit insulting, but underneath he is just a big naked marshmallow of a man in a jock doing squats and saving the world from fantasy kung fu!

BTW the first tip off should have been his mother BOLO, she is strong!

I have tried to point out to him she's a MAN, MAN! But he lives in his own fantasy world too, just like the rest of us!

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    i dunno...i had hip popping noises from 25-35...after 35 it turned into pain...after 40 it became debilitating to the point I couldn't kick anymore. don't know what your deal is but it's probabably not 'nuthin'.

there are some knowledgable people here...not a bad place to start for advice, just don't let it be the only place you get advice about your body.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Yeah! That is why for bawang you have to see his pattern over time. He can be blunt and offensive and even seem a bit insulting, but underneath he is just a big naked marshmallow of a man in a jock doing squats and saving the world from fantasy kung fu!

BTW the first tip off should have been his mother BOLO, she is strong!

I have tried to point out to him she's a MAN, MAN! But he lives in his own fantasy world too, just like the rest of us!
    I'll have to try to learn to play him at his own game..
    This is my Dad, he works in an abattoir...

Quote Originally Posted by KJW View Post
    I'll have to try to learn to play him at his own game..
    Exactly, just do a search on him, you will find wacky and humorous posts and serious posts! He knows a great deal about Chinese history, albeit from his own perspective. Also, being Chinese, he has a unique and humorous perspective on Western (White) perspectives (stereotypes) on Chinese Martial Arts and China in general. He can appear racist in his comments from time to time, but the general consensus is that he is not!

I give him a hard time on occasion, because his handle means "garlic" in Tagalog. My wife is a Filipina!

Greetings,

Thomas Kurz and Adrian Crook both do variations of the following exercise before going into stretching. They do it with legs closer together. It is very good for the pelvic area and hips. Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3QGM4mxHFk

mickey

Just my 2 cents...

one common cause of chronic hip joint popping is "snapping hip syndrome"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapping_hip_syndrome

the thing is, the audible popping can be from structures around the joint or inside it: meaning it can be as relatively benign as the ITB "snapping" over the greater trochanter of the femur, or it can b indicative of a labral tear within the hip capsule;

bear in mind that the hip joint itself is designed primarily for stability, and it's very difficult therefore to dislocate a hip joint: therefore, excessive hypermobility is not really such a great thing within the joint itself, as it's contrary to the main roll of the joint (stability in weight bearing); of course, it's fine to have good flexibility of the muscles around it, but that's different;

in my personal / professional estimation as a PT, any chronic popping in the hip (or any joint for that matter), is always an issue of some concern: as it suggests either dysfunction within the joint or imbalance of the structures around it, causing abnormal myokinematics, it stands to reason that over time, this can lead to further degeneration and then symptoms of varying types;

also, remember that when u attempt splits, or any sort of movement that requires "stretching", it's more likely that the structures that are prone to hypermobiity are the ones that are going to get further lengthened, unless u r very specific at targeting the hypomobile structures, but this is very difficult (Iyengar yoga approach does a great job at this sort of relative isolation); anyway, what ends up happening at times is the stuff that doesn't move stil doesn't move, whereas the stuff around it that was already prone to excessive movement now moves even more; of course, I haven't examined u so I don't know ur specific situation, but the one thing I'd look at is where in the lumbar spine / pelvis / hips u move from a lot and where u don't move from at all; that should give some idea of what's informing the grinding / popping, which, again, suggests some dysfunction in the area;

my suggestion would b finding a PT (or other similar discipline) that looks at things in a similar way to what I've described above; or u may try to find a certified yoga instructor (I'd go with Iyengar, hands down, any day); whatever u do, I suggest u do it before pushing urself further into ur splits, as u may b doing more harm than good (or not - u may b perfectly fine, I have no idea); if u r doing something innappropriate, better to ease off bef u do more severe damage - if after getting assessed there is nothing to worry about, any loos u may temporarilly experience will b nothing compared to the time u would b on the bench if u do injure urself;

good luck
    Last edited by taai gihk yahn; 10-31-2011 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

Thomas Kurz and Adrian Crook both do variations of the following exercise before going into stretching. They do it with legs closer together. It is very good for the pelvic area and hips. Check it out.

mickey
    very good for the hips / pelvis what that guy is doing; it's pretty much what Feldenkreis called the "pelvic clock" - an it's probably easier to find a certified Feld. practitioner than and African "yoga" teacher, lol

Greetings,

mickey
    Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    very good for the hips / pelvis what that guy is doing; it's pretty much what Feldenkreis called the "pelvic clock" - an it's probably easier to find a certified Feld. practitioner than and African "yoga" teacher, lol
    Movements stolen from dance I might add!

Greetings,

mickey
    lol, i thought pron was illegal to post here
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    one common cause of chronic hip joint popping is "snapping hip syndrome"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapping_hip_syndrome

the thing is, the audible popping can be from structures around the joint or inside it: meaning it can be as relatively benign as the ITB "snapping" over the greater trochanter of the femur, or it can b indicative of a labral tear within the hip capsule;

bear in mind that the hip joint itself is designed primarily for stability, and it's very difficult therefore to dislocate a hip joint: therefore, excessive hypermobility is not really such a great thing within the joint itself, as it's contrary to the main roll of the joint (stability in weight bearing); of course, it's fine to have good flexibility of the muscles around it, but that's different;

in my personal / professional estimation as a PT, any chronic popping in the hip (or any joint for that matter), is always an issue of some concern: as it suggests either dysfunction within the joint or imbalance of the structures around it, causing abnormal myokinematics, it stands to reason that over time, this can lead to further degeneration and then symptoms of varying types;

also, remember that when u attempt splits, or any sort of movement that requires "stretching", it's more likely that the structures that are prone to hypermobiity are the ones that are going to get further lengthened, unless u r very specific at targeting the hypomobile structures, but this is very difficult (Iyengar yoga approach does a great job at this sort of relative isolation); anyway, what ends up happening at times is the stuff that doesn't move stil doesn't move, whereas the stuff around it that was already prone to excessive movement now moves even more; of course, I haven't examined u so I don't know ur specific situation, but the one thing I'd look at is where in the lumbar spine / pelvis / hips u move from a lot and where u don't move from at all; that should give some idea of what's informing the grinding / popping, which, again, suggests some dysfunction in the area;

my suggestion would b finding a PT (or other similar discipline) that looks at things in a similar way to what I've described above; or u may try to find a certified yoga instructor (I'd go with Iyengar, hands down, any day); whatever u do, I suggest u do it before pushing urself further into ur splits, as u may b doing more harm than good (or not - u may b perfectly fine, I have no idea); if u r doing something innappropriate, better to ease off bef u do more severe damage - if after getting assessed there is nothing to worry about, any loos u may temporarilly experience will b nothing compared to the time u would b on the bench if u do injure urself;

good luck
    yea...what he said.

Sometimes when we ask for advice we have to expect bluntness. Sometimes there is really no way of telling someone what you think without being a little blunt. But again, you asked for it, so take it in stride.
    My advice is to stop doing it. It shouldn't really cause you a problem until just before you go in for your first hip replacement. The human body is built a certain way, and it requires a great deal of stretching and abuse in order to get it to do certain things. These things may not hurt you for years, but realize that you grow older with each day, and eventually you will see the er of your ways.
    If you have to train hard in order to do something, it will never serve you well. You will have to continue to train at it just to be able to keep it. Then comes the days when you can not do it as well, then not at all. Then you have another problem with all the damage you have done over the years.
    My advice to you, and it is the best advice on this subject you will get, is to only do what you can do easily. Things you can do without harming yourself in the long run, and things that you can expect to do when you get old.
    Jackie Lee