Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hip grinding whilst trying to do box splits, is this normal?

try a few rounds of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUKKhF-vR2E

if it doesn't work out, at least you get the consolation prize of added boner.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    try a few rounds of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUKKhF-vR2E

if it doesn't work out, at least you get the consolation prize of added boner.
    There was a tv show back in the 80's with just that very thing! I think it was on showtime or usa network or something like that. I just remember I had a buddy who watched it all the time. Since I didn't get that channel makes me think it was a pay channel or I would have watched it all the time and I would remember it better.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

Thomas Kurz and Adrian Crook both do variations of the following exercise before going into stretching. They do it with legs closer together. It is very good for the pelvic area and hips. Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3QGM4mxHFk

mickey
    All the lines of the style I do do that same exercise, and I trained a variation of Chen style in Henan that did that a lot. I used to get hip popping, largely from bad body mechanics in the approaches I was doing, and that solved it, not as an physical therapy in the healing sense, but by entraining proper motion of the entire region in relation to motion. Mind you, the version we do is not left just to circles, but applied to any motion of the hip, and has some detail work that makes the usage make sense.

The main popping I used to get in my hips was after I kicked, and as I was setting my leg down, and it was purely because the structure and the motion were at odds. The structure didn't need fixing, the motion did. Fortunately, I fixes the motion before the structure did need fixing!

Hi KJW,

"Hip popping", could be O.K.. Hip "grinding", Not O.K..
    People's hip structure varies, person to person. People who drop into splits with ease prove nothing beyond what they can do themselves. They may be set up genetically to have an easy time of it, they may be ignoring subtle or even obvious signs that they will be limited in their movement in the future.

Splits and high kicks 'cold'? Great trick for showing off at parties...value in life? Debatable skill.
    Listening to and interpreting the signals your body is giving you about what your mind is involved in?
    Priceless, individual, and non debatable skill.

Good luck.

Spiralstair