Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What are your goals?

whats wrong with debating with dravis jemisonz?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

he is big dum dum no fun

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Really? That's pretty much whining childishness right there. Not to mention, you come across as yet another troll just out to bait Kung Fu practitioners and with a particular hard on for one of the other folk posting here.

so don't hide behind lame excuses like this.

especially when your posts go along the lines of; http://kungfumagazine.com/forum/sear...archid=3316146
    I come across as someone who has an opinion and is not afraid to voice it. I am usually jovial(in life) but have no qualms about calling out what I consider bs. 99% of Kung fu fights you say? 99% of youtube kung fu videos are not of fighting. You and your friends fight? Really? Nah. You and your friends pretend you do because you probably only have video of yourself doing forms. On the days you "spar" you conveniently forget the camera.

Your go to argument is that you can fire a gun do you do not need to enter competition or engage in hard contact training.

Here are my goals:
    1. To not become delusional that I can fight when the going gets tough even though I do not endure even light sparring(99% of Kung fu).

2. To not become a teacher that relies on forms to teach instead of really coaching.

3. To gain real skills that give me the nut sack to be able to handle online comments about my training. The way some of you react to the "mma thugs" is telling that deep down you do not have real fighting skills.

And for the record could Dave Ross please show his one san da fight video as proof that he and 99% of what is taught in tcma is useless. Show us the true Kung fu, Ross. Show us why you need to learn San da which is to not end up the way you did that day.
    Last edited by RWilson; 11-01-2011 at 04:14 PM.

the material taught in tcma is fine. there are all the punches, all the kicks, and throws (if you view through shuai jiao. Independant styles will vary). you have ducking, weaving, shielding, clinching, etc... the method by which people train these elements is often what is lacking....its obvious if you just look at the material. there is nothing in karate, tkd, muay thai, that is not found in cma. Some things are just done a bit differently.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with tcma material. there is a lot of cma guys that compete in shuai jiao and sanda/sanshou that do train well and are solid fighters. people who doubt really need to go try and find out for themselves, just like a lot of cma guys need to try mma/grappling to really know where their defeciencies lie.

i dont see many people talking crap about cma holding any sanda trophies...geez...hmmm..

the road goes both ways.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I like absurd weapons

Kung fu has some of the most absurd weapons in the world. I've always liked absurd weapons. I don't know why exactly. It's not really a self-defense thing. If I was truly paranoid about that, I'd pack heat. Some people like motorcycles or cars or guitars...all sorts of things. I like absurd weapons - the more absurd the better.

Here's a case and point: As many of you know, I used to work at American Fencer's Supply. Summer months were a little lean, so I was tasked to draw all of the merchandise we offered - jackets, masks, bags, scoring boxes, and swords - tons of swords. If you look in the Armoury section, you'll still see some of my drawings. Back then, AFS was in Soma, prior to the development, the heart of the S.F leather district. Every once in a while, we'd have to chase out some crazy street person. When I was drawing, I was up in the 'cage' which was our kitchen, our break room and where we kept our premium swords. There was this yard-tall suit of armor there, a decorative piece, not for sale. If I ever had to defend the shop, never mind all those swords. I would have grabbed that suit of armor for my weapon. It was like the kung fu bronze man - a very esoteric weapon that I've only read about but never seen.

It's totally absurd, I know, but any true kung fu man understands.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    What do you want to get out of TCMA? Why do you practice? What do you hope to achieve?
    Super Powers.
    But I am discerning.
    Only if they're really and truly Super Duper Powers.
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

Quote Originally Posted by RWilson View Post
    I come across as someone who has an opinion and is not afraid to voice it. I am usually jovial(in life) but have no qualms about calling out what I consider bs. 99% of Kung fu fights you say? 99% of youtube kung fu videos are not of fighting. You and your friends fight? Really? Nah. You and your friends pretend you do because you probably only have video of yourself doing forms. On the days you "spar" you conveniently forget the camera.

Your go to argument is that you can fire a gun do you do not need to enter competition or engage in hard contact training.

Here are my goals:
    1. To not become delusional that I can fight when the going gets tough even though I do not endure even light sparring(99% of Kung fu).

2. To not become a teacher that relies on forms to teach instead of really coaching.

3. To gain real skills that give me the nut sack to be able to handle online comments about my training. The way some of you react to the "mma thugs" is telling that deep down you do not have real fighting skills.

And for the record could Dave Ross please show his one san da fight video as proof that he and 99% of what is taught in tcma is useless. Show us the true Kung fu, Ross. Show us why you need to learn San da which is to not end up the way you did that day.

Your goals are two to one to "not" be something. And the other one is how to converse on the internet about your training. Whatever that is. Then you go on to make some loose comment about a forum member who doesn't even come here.

not to mention, you don't have a clue who I am, but you seem to feel it's ok to make whatever assumptions about me, or for that matter anyone else.

Yeah, I'd say you're a troll.
    Kung Fu is good for you.