Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu TV show film REMAKE

Kung Fu: The Movie

A little late with this one but I couldn't find an earlier thread (I'll merge it if someone can point it to me)

May 22, 2006
    Legenday Pictures to Bring Kung Fu to the Big Screen

Burbank, CA - Legendary Pictures announced today that it has acquired the feature film rights to the classic martial arts franchise, Kung Fu. The company has commenced development of a feature film version that explores the origins of the characters and the events on which the television classic was based.

"We are excited about bringing this property to the big screen. Kung Fu was a key event in the popularization of martial arts and brought the Shaolin Monks and their legend into contemporary culture" said Scott Mednick, Legendary's President of Worldwide Distribution and Marketing. "Our intention is to create a powerful rendering of these compelling characters, especially Kwai Chang Caine. We will delve into the secrets of the Shoalin and explore how Caine became Caine through his training and subsequent adventures in China."

"Much of the story of Kung Fu has not been told and we intend to tell it in a dynamic way that depicts, in a fresh, realistic manner, the very real skills that the priests of the Shoalin Temple have mastery of," said Jon Jashni, Legendary Pictures Chief Creative Officer. "This property has remained popular for decades and we look forward to adding the depth and scope that a theatrical feature can offer."

Kung Fu, made its debut as a movie of the week, starring David Carradine, in 1972, and was an instant hit. It spawned a first series produced by Warner Bros. that aired on ABC-TV from 1972-1975, along with two additional movies of the week as well as a second weekly series in 1993. Kung Fu continues as a cult classic today.

Legendary Pictures has optioned a feature screenplay from the original creator and writers of Kung Fu; Ed Spielman and Howard Friedlander.

# # #

Legendary Pictures formed a partnership with Warner Bros. Pictures in 2005 to co-produce and co-finance at least 25 pictures during an initial 5 year term, which includes a first-look distribution arrangement. The company operates from the Warner Bros. lot in Burbank, California. Legendary Pictures first film was Batman Begins, directed by Chris Nolan. Future releases include Superman Returns, directed by Bryan Singer, M Night Shyamalan's Lady in the Water and Roland Emmerich's 10,000 B.C.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thumbs up That is most excellent!

And also glad to see the original writers coming back for it.

TuG.
    Embrace your enemy, for he is not - he is just confused.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It is very hard to unleash the dragon and then put it back in the box without being devoured in the process."
    -Sifu Abel

I wonder who they will get to play the part of Caine? Maybe they'll get someone who's really Chinese-American and not some dude who squints a lot (like a certain person who also played "Bill" in Kill Bill.)

Let's also hope history doesn't repeat itself to the point that an up-and-coming Chinese Actor/Martial Artist gets turned down because of out-and-out racism- er, I mean "decline to take the part."
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

Yeah, I saw the announcement a month or two ago...think it is great they will be making the movie. I loved the first series...still do. I hope they do not ruin the movie by using any of the contemporary wu shu though. I think is imperative that the keep true to the original flavour of the series

I have reservations about who will play KCC, as DC did such a great job at it. The producers and casting sure chose right back then, and he won the part fair and square...he had what the part called for and acted it well. BTW his eye shape is natural and not due to squinting or tie backs...he is part Native and naturally has the eye shape...take a look at photos of him on his ranch back in the 80's. Hiring a man who is part Native, I do not think can be called racist...what was racist is that the Chinese actors guild or something like that, wanted the producers to fire him and to hire a Chinese person...they refused and correctly so. I am no DC fan, but what is fair is fair and he played the part with excellence.
    I wonder if the movie will have an older KCC (DC) telling the story with flash backs.
    I hope they use the same filming techniques and flavour that the old show did.
    ...ask for Kam
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Fool me once, then shame on you. Fool me twice, then shame on me"

I, too, would plead with the producers to stay away from the politically correct Modern Wushu stuff. I like an acrobatic act as much as the next guy, but not in my Kung Fu. I would hope that many historical styles would be spotlighted and used extensively.
    Figure Eight

Nnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooo......

Argh, Gene say it isn't so?

I know the argument, how it helped introduce Kung Fu (the art not only the TV seris) to the West, blah, blah, blah.... but honestly David Carrradine would have been nothing without the series and not vice versa. David Carradine is a pathetic martial artist and from all reports not much of a human being (a drunk that once hit a child on set).

Comparatively speaking to the stuff that has been out (movies & such) in the years since the Kung Fu TV series is crap. That's crap period full end of sentence.

As to the writers are we talking about the ones that did Kung Fu the Legend Continues.... please that fortune cookie stereo typical crap!

The only way this could ever be done right is to not let the same writers do it, not let an American director do it (Ang Lee would be fanastic for this, he would be able to touch on the emotional content of the story about the monk in the West and his quest to find his brother).

As to the action, choreography by Donnie Yen, or Yuen Woo Ping's crew, but put it in the hands of any American and they will screw it up.

BUT THE NO. #1 THING - Don't let David Carridine anywhere near the movie!!!

CRAP CRAP CRAP........

If you'll excuse me I think I am going to go and watch Kung Fu Hustle!

Choreography?

Say they could get Aaron Norris, brother of Chuck and responsible for a lot of really memorable fight scenes by way of Walker Texas Ranger .......

Americans make such crap martial arts movies and TV

bahahahahahahahahahahaha.....

"BUT THE NO. #1 THING - Don't let David Carridine anywhere near the movie!!!"

I couldn't agree more.

TuG.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It is very hard to unleash the dragon and then put it back in the box without being devoured in the process."
    -Sifu Abel

This might be getting a little sidetracked, but does anyone remember the 2 made-for-TV Kung Fu movies that starred Brandon Lee? I always thought that was interesting, that they snagged him to do those movies, when the lead role was originally destined to go to his father.

Not that this is official or anything, but according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kung_Fu_(TV_series), ole DC won't be in the new movie. Here is what they have said: In June of 2006, Ed Spielman and Howard Friedlander announced that a feature film (which will serve as a prequel to the original Kung Fu series and take place in China) is in development. They have also announced that David Carradine "will not be returning to the project, nor will it be an effects-laden movie". The movie will be released by Warner Bros. Pictures & Legendary Pictures.
    The Eye Half-Shut:
    Part of the Truth Revealed
    http://rubesroost.blogspot.com

[QUOTE=Li Kao;727435]This might be getting a little sidetracked, but does anyone remember the 2 made-for-TV Kung Fu movies that starred Brandon Lee? I always thought that was interesting, that they snagged him to do those movies, when the lead role was originally destined to go to his father.

Believe it or not LK, I actually own the original tv pilot, the two made for tv's and season 1 and 2 of the series.

I agree that it was very interesting using Brandon, but I also have always thought it was kind of a slap in the face to his father.

TuG.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -Sifu Abel

Greetings,

The thought of seeing "wushu" in the training sequences makes me want to go out tonight and shoot Santa, twice.

I enjoyed the pilot and enjoyed having the chance to see the traditionalists like Kam Yuen and the late Ark Wong do their thing. Not even the training sequence of Jet Li's Shaolin Temple topped it.

I have to throw up, now.

mickey

[QUOTE=tug;727514]
    Quote Originally Posted by Li Kao View Post
    This might be getting a little sidetracked, but does anyone remember the 2 made-for-TV Kung Fu movies that starred Brandon Lee? I always thought that was interesting, that they snagged him to do those movies, when the lead role was originally destined to go to his father.

Believe it or not LK, I actually own the original tv pilot, the two made for tv's and season 1 and 2 of the series.

I agree that it was very interesting using Brandon, but I also have always thought it was kind of a slap in the face to his father.

TuG.
    I have,somewhere, Brandon Lee in what I had thought was the only part he was in Kung Fu. The end was crap, flames shooting out of the elephant gun.
    However, in the original series, KCC does bed a concubine of the Emperor's and that could have resulted in him having a son which the TV show with Brandon Lee should have used as they could have done a Flash back.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

Greetings,

I thought Brandon Lee was playing Caine's son in the one where he played Mako's henchman. It seemed to be alluded to but not actually stated. My feeling was that the producers did not want to create any kind of funk by having Brandon play the son of the character, a role that should have gone to his father.

mickey

I meant to state that the TV movie could have used an earlier episode where Cain falls in love with the Emperor's concubine and has sex with her.
    She laughs at Cain when he suggests that they could have a future together and she states something about what he could do for her? And he knows the skills she would be depriving the Emperor of if she didn't go back to him.
    I don't recall how Brandon was written into script but I thought it was somehow being Cain's son.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

Being at or near the top of the ratings of the time plus the popularity of the 70's series proves they had the right formula and actor. The actor's personal life has to be separated from the series. There are many actors who have problems and difficulties of one form or another. It would be best to not be so judgemental of a person's weaknesses...it was not like he was hurting someone else...and he has taken steps to overcome this. The series and the character of KCC as portrayed by DC did just as much as BL to promote the art of KF. Doesn't matter if DC knew KF at the time the series started...it is a show...acting. Most, if not all actors portray something they are not an expert in or even know very much of anything about it. What counts is how they act and portray the character.
    ...ask for Kam
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Fool me once, then shame on you. Fool me twice, then shame on me"