Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu TV show film REMAKE

FP -- regarding DC's tai chi / kung fu videos -- I haven't seen them, so I can't really comment on the content or their value. My impression is that they are pretty basic workout / form type videos and there are other instructors on there demonstrating stuff as well. Personally, I can't ever see watching them myself -- I have enough material and instructors and friends who practice already and I'm content with my own progress. I'm sure part of it is him cashing in a bit on his celebrity, which I am fine with -- I'm sure some people have gotten something out of them, and it's everyone's right to make a buck

I like some of the suggestions you made for the lead role -- Russell Wong in particular has been one of my favorite Asian American actors over the years and I think he would definitely have the charisma to pull off the role. To be honest, I'm not sure why everyone is fussing so much about the racial makeup of the role -- if KCC is supposed to be half American and half Asian, then couldn't he look mostly American, mostly Asian, or a mix of the two? Does it really matter that much?

And you seem to imply that having James Hong would be a poor choice -- how so? He is a living legend in my eyes -- other than the recently departed Mako, can you think of a more recognizable Asian American actor ever? He has had over 450 movie and TV roles in his 50+ year career -- that is a truly staggering body of work -- and his role as the immortal David Lo Pan in John Carpenter's Big Trouble in Little China is enough to cement his status as a "god walking among mere mortals" in the acting world. He worked with Nicholson in 2 films -- Chinatown and The Two Jakes, with Harrison Ford in Blade Runner, has been on Seinfeld and numerous TV shows, and also is a founder of the oldest Asian American theater in Los Angeles -- the guy has literally done everything. And lets not forget that he was a frequent guest on the original Kung Fu TV series!

It seems like you are dooming this project before it even starts -- the casting hasn't even been made, and the producers have already stated that DC will not be involved. For someone who obviously dislikes DC so strongly, I am guessing that you probably didn't enjoy the series that much, and wonder why you even care about the movie? Obviously Donnie Yen or Mark Dacascos are two of my favorite actors as well, but I don't think you necessarily need a kung fu superstar for this movie -- not sure what you are expecting out of the movie, but I would hope for more of a philisophical piece of work than a balls-to-the-wall action piece. Hey -- maybe if we're lucky, they'll get Steven Seagal -- here is a preview: All I want to do is walk the stupid path of peace, but you're forcing me to walk the path of pieces
    The Eye Half-Shut:
    Part of the Truth Revealed
    http://rubesroost.blogspot.com

I hope that the Kung fu movie will be a martial art one as Jet Li described his movie Fearless, the action serving MA philosophy and the storyline not the other way around.

Looking a little this way of half or that way of half does not matter...whatever the case may be, he has to be able to play the part correctly.

MA philosophy...how would you define that? I think this is about Chan/Zen philosophy which the monks who know martial art follow. This movie has to have the flavour of the 70's series or you might as well just make it a Jet Lee movie.
    ...ask for Kam
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Fool me once, then shame on you. Fool me twice, then shame on me"

what is correctly?

i hate purest, letr me just state thatup front, and i mean purest in the movie sense. i would love to see someone play the character in their own way. as a director i never tell an actor word for word how i want them to say a line(it's hard to explain) i want to see their interpretation of the words how do they feel the character would say a line. its like when they were making kill bill an warren beatty was suppose to be bill and QT kept telling him to act like KCC, so warren finally said why don't you just get david. only DC can play KCC the way he played him know one else, if they get another actor and they will, he's gonna play it his way. and we get to see another interpretation of the character. this is strictly from a filmmakers perspective.

That is a given...DC is too old for this particular part. Naturally, whom ever plays the part will put his own into it, that's okay, as long as he keeps the persona of the character on course, otherwise it is just going to be another martial art movie. Personally, I do not expect anyone to be able to play the character as well as DC did...but you never know.
    ...ask for Kam

hmmmm........ well

well on the martial arts side I could think several dozen eight year olds that do could better then Carradine on his very best days.

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Horse Dragon View Post
    I have reservations about who will play KCC, as DC did such a great job at it. The producers and casting sure chose right back then, and he won the part fair and square...he had what the part called for and acted it well. BTW his eye shape is natural and not due to squinting or tie backs...he is part Native and naturally has the eye shape...take a look at photos of him on his ranch back in the 80's. Hiring a man who is part Native, I do not think can be called racist...what was racist is that the Chinese actors guild or something like that, wanted the producers to fire him and to hire a Chinese person...they refused and correctly so. I am no DC fan, but what is fair is fair and he played the part with excellence.
    I wonder if the movie will have an older KCC (DC) telling the story with flash backs.
    I hope they use the same filming techniques and flavour that the old show did.
    The eye shape of Native Americans is SIMILAR to that of a Chinese person, yes, due to their shared Asian ancestry. Assuming that is indeed the reason for the somewhat-but-not-quite Asian appearance in the early series, did DC have surgery to lose that eye shape later on in life? Because he sure doesn't have it any more (or during "The Legend Continues" for that matter.) These days he doesn't look any more Native or Asian than I do- granted I'm only 12% Oneida, but still.

To the subject of who SHOULD have gotten the part (irrelevant and moot a point as it may be)- if you ignore the fact that they chose a mostly-white guy with no martial arts experience over a Chinese-American Actor and Martial Artist to play the part of a MARTIAL ARTS MASTER, then yes I guess you can say that racism was not an issue for this particular casting choice. Don't get me wrong, DC is a good actor and all, but cripes man!

While I'm not totally adverse to the idea of a non-martial artist playing the part of a martial artist, or the idea of a non-Chinese playing the part of a half-Chinese person, I am adverse to that person not developing the requisite skills to at least appear to be one (think Chow-Yun Fat and Michelle Yeoh- neither of them have extensive MA experience, but do pretty well at looking the part.) I'm no shining example of Martial Artistry myself, but I'd like to think I could do well enough if it was a major part of my job, and I had close to the amount of time that I would like to devote to it (2-4 hours or so a day, 5 days a week would be WONDERFUL!!) as well as the occasional stuntman to help me out.

In the end, I like the Kung Fu TV series for what it aspired to, rather than what it was (I own the 1st boxed set on DVD.) I think having Bruce Lee playing the part of the monk would have lent it the air of quasi-authenticity it desperately needed. And just so this doesn't come across as being biased against an American show, I feel the exact same way about 36th Chamber of Shaolin (Gordon Liu is a very good martial artist, and the story and training scenes were great, but the bare-hand fights were much too chop-pose-block-pose-punch-pose-repeat for my liking.)

I am with you guys in keeping Modern Wushu out of the movie, though. Not only does it not interest me, but there's enough BS about Shaolin being Wushu only without adding to it like that. It would be cool to see some nice traditional stuff in there... San Huang Pao Chui, Lohan, etc. Some animal styles too.
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

Quote Originally Posted by firepalm View Post
    well on the martial arts side I could think several dozen eight year olds that do could better then Carradine on his very best days.
    You should give it up already...like already said...the popularity and the ratings of the series are proof in itself of the correct actor having been chosen for the series. You have not backed up any of your opinions with facts.
    ...ask for Kam

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTravesty View Post
    The eye shape of Native Americans is SIMILAR to that of a Chinese person, yes, due to their shared Asian ancestry. Assuming that is indeed the reason for the somewhat-but-not-quite Asian appearance in the early series, did DC have surgery to lose that eye shape later on in life? Because he sure doesn't have it any more (or during "The Legend Continues" for that matter.) These days he doesn't look any more Native or Asian than I do- granted I'm only 12% Oneida, but still.
    Even with Chinese the tighness of the eyeshape diminishes in most with age, giving a more round appearance.
    To the subject of who SHOULD have gotten the part (irrelevant and moot a point as it may be)- if you ignore the fact that they chose a mostly-white guy with no martial arts experience over a Chinese-American Actor and Martial Artist to play the part of a MARTIAL ARTS MASTER, then yes I guess you can say that racism was not an issue for this particular casting choice. Don't get me wrong, DC is a good actor and all, but cripes man!
    While I'm not totally adverse to the idea of a non-martial artist playing the part of a martial artist, or the idea of a non-Chinese playing the part of a half-Chinese person, I am adverse to that person not developing the requisite skills to at least appear to be one (think Chow-Yun Fat and Michelle Yeoh- neither of them have extensive MA experience, but do pretty well at looking the part.) I'm no shining example of Martial Artistry myself, but I'd like to think I could do well enough if it was a major part of my job, and I had close to the amount of time that I would like to devote to it (2-4 hours or so a day, 5 days a week would be WONDERFUL!!) as well as the occasional stuntman to help me out.
    In the end, I like the Kung Fu TV series for what it aspired to, rather than what it was (I own the 1st boxed set on DVD.) I think having Bruce Lee playing the part of the monk would have lent it the air of quasi-authenticity it desperately needed. And just so this doesn't come across as being biased against an American show, I feel the exact same way about 36th Chamber of Shaolin (Gordon Liu is a very good martial artist, and the story and training scenes were great, but the bare-hand fights were much too chop-pose-block-pose-punch-pose-repeat for my liking.)
    I do not know why eveyone thinks that a actor in a martial art movie needs to actually be a martial artist. Look at any actor...they act a part, for example - Sylvestor Stallone is not a boxer, but makes movies where he plays the part of a boxer. DC did okay and the fight scenes were choreographed by David Chow and later by Kam Yuen Sifu...DC with his dance conditioning along with this choreography did an acceptable job.
    I am with you guys in keeping Modern Wushu out of the movie, though. Not only does it not interest me, but there's enough BS about Shaolin being Wushu only without adding to it like that. It would be cool to see some nice traditional stuff in there... San Huang Pao Chui, Lohan, etc. Some animal styles too.
    Agree.
    ...ask for Kam

A relevant email

I just got this in my work email, and judging by the long list of cc's, a lot of you did too.

Hello,

my name is Larkin MacKenzie-Ast and my Casting partner, Melissa Perry, and I are holding an OPEN CASTING CALL on Sunday, December 8, 2007. We are looking for Asian and part-Asian males, between the ages of 20-30, with some Martial Arts or Dance background.

Please forward this email to anyone you know who may be suitable for the role. I have attached the Open Call Memo with further details. Please visit our website: www.kungfucasting.com for further information.

If you are an instructor or School/Academy Owner, please feel free to post this notice on any Information Board that you may have, to reach all of your students.

Thank you for your time,

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    OPEN CALL - ACTORS WANTED FOR FEATURE FILM
    PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!

Legendary Pictures is producing a feature film based on the popular 1970’s television series “Kung Fu”. We are looking to cast the lead character, CAINE. In the film, Caine is male, 20-30 years old, with a Chinese mother and American Father. The story takes place in the American Old West during the 1800’s and is a Martial Arts Western. A martial arts background is not strictly necessary, but the ideal candidate for the role is physically fit with some athletic training, preferably in martial arts, gymnastics or dance.

If you think you could be the new CAINE, we invite you to come to our open call!

For the Open Call
    - Please prepare a one-minute monologue of your choosing, delivered in English
    - Please prepare a one-minute demonstration of your martial arts or athletic ability – You will be timed and stopped at the end of one minute!
    - Please bring your headshot/resume as well as CLEARLY LABELLED demo reels or publicity materials that will help us get to know you and your talents better
    - Please be prepared to wait – possibly all day
    - Candidates clearly not right for the role will be excused early
    - Call-backs will take place on the same day, at the end of the day
    - If you have already auditioned for casting it is not necessary to attend

Open call takes place as follows:
    Date: Sunday, December 2, 2007
    Time: 10:00 AM – Sign In
    Address: Shoreline Studios Inc
    33 7th Avenue East
    Vancouver, BC
    For further information please check out our website: www.kungfucasting.com
    No phone calls please!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Dance,,,Gymnastics ...this does not inspire confidence.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Ever read any of Carridine's autobiographical stuff?

Carridine attributes his ability to portray a Shaolin monk so well was his extensive dance background.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Carridine attributes his ability to portray a Shaolin monk so well was his extensive dance background.
    And he did such a great job....
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    "BUT THE NO. #1 THING - Don't let David Carridine anywhere near the movie!!!"
    Glad some other feel that way as well.

Kung Fu TV show film REMAKE

scooped ya gene!!!

Bill Paxton In Talks To Direct ‘Kung Fu’
    By MIKE FLEMING | Monday October 31, 2011 @ 6:18pm EDTTags: Bill Paxton, David Carradine, John McLaughlin, Kung Fu, Legendary East, Legendary Entertainment
    Comments (7)
    Mike Fleming

EXCLUSIVE: Bill Paxton is in talks to direct Kung Fu, a screen adaptation of the classic 1972 TV series that starred David Carradine. Paxton, who’s coming off a run in the HBO series Big Love, gets the job after helming two solid films: Frailty and The Greatest Game Ever Played. John McLaughlin will write the script. The film’s being put together under the Legendary Entertainment banner to shoot partly in China next summer. It is possible that this will come under Legendary East, the Hong Kong-based joint venture that involves Thomas Tull’s Legendary, but insiders said that hasn’t happened to this point.

The original series tracked the adventures of a Shaolin monk as he wanders the American West. The monk wants peace but usually winds up using his spectacular martial arts skills to kick some serious tail, in between flashbacks of his early life in the monastery. Below is a reminder of the show.