Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Telling it like it is may have cost me a student

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    In my neighborhood, there are two to three people getting killed EVERYDAY.
    what? that puts the San Fran murder count (just using your area) at over 1,000 per annum. in reality its about 10% of that city wide

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    Sh1t, recently a Chef of a new restaurant stepped outside at midnight for a smoke after the restaurant closed when some Norteno's stepped to him asking "are you a scrap?" in other words "are you a Sureno?" and killed him right there.
    How do they know, if he's dead?
    When it does happen, it's fast and hard and over quick. Either I'm standing or he's standing. That's Real.
    nospam

You type because you have fingers. Not because you have logic.
    Phil Redmond

Blog Entries
    How do they know, if he's dead?
    You're not funny. weak attempt.

https://www.baycitizen.org/blogs/pul...urder-hog-and/

Last night, two more were shot dead in San Francisco.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 11-03-2011 at 08:17 AM.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    I disagree. These are essential skills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    This is the difficulty here. TCMA posters are so insecure they always feel like they need to respond to criticism and in return expose more of their ignorance.

How do you converse with a martial artist who doesn't feel its critical to know how to escape mount or side control?

That's exactly like saying one doesn't need to know how to deal with the jab and hook. Basic fundamentals. The most basic.
    Lets break down the anatomy of street fight or self defense situation. The fights I have been in:

#1 A guy sucker punched me, I punched back closed the distance then picked him up and slammed him on the ground then I started punching the back of his head. Immediately someone started breaking us up. This all took place in under 60 seconds.

#2 A guy was beating his woman, I stepped in and he punched at me with his right hand. I grabbed his incoming punch with my left claw and immediately applied a right claw to his throat. At that point he backed down ending the confrontation. All under 30 seconds.

One of the fights went to the ground one did not.

Most street fights or self defense situations are not going to last long. Even if it does go to ground, you are not going to have time to ride your opponent, setting up your side mount etc etc.

These are sports martial art skills and if you read my post fully:

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    Sorry Ray but, NO you do not need escape mount, side control, Having your back taken Etc.

Wake up and smell the weed you been smokin. Ground figting is a good set of skills but not everyone needs or wants to have them. Most all street fights that go the ground are over in under 60 seconds. Not every street fight ends up on the ground and the ones you posted from youtube all were over quite quickly after they hit the ground.

While most of us here realize that the ground game is just another type of skill people can learn, however some of you MMA guys think it's the only game in town. You guys need to step back and take a look at what you are doing.

ginosifu
    you would have seen that I stated that ground fighting are good skills to have, but not everyone needs or wants to have them. If you only teach young men filled with testosterone, yes you have all of them who are willing to practice ground fighting.

However, I teach everyone young and old big and small and not everyone is ready to learn ground fighting.

Example #1: Joanne is 40 and out of shape but she wants to get into shape and learn how to defend herself. She never does Shuai Chiao or any ground stuff I teach. All she wants is the kung fu class that has exercise and situational stand up self defense.

Example 2: Dave is 54 and about 50 pounds over weight. He does the kung fu class, he does light contact sparring, but never Shuai Chiao or ground fighting. he probably get hurt in any grappling class just because he is too old and over weight.

Example: #3 Nigel is 16, we do Shaui Chiao, San Shou and ground fighting. He loves it all and is a good beginner fighter.

Joanne is confident she feels good about the situational stand up self defense. I think she can hold her own pretty well.

Dave just cant grapple, he is to old and to over weight.

Nigel can crush most kids his age and size.

these are just the facts

ginosifu

Ground figting is a good set of skills but not everyone needs or wants to have them.
    Just because you aren't looking to go to the ground doesn't mean the other guy isn't.

Most all street fights that go the ground are over in under 60 seconds.
    That's because the guy on bottom usually gets pounded. If you know how to get up, you don't get pounded. Probably a good skillset to have then, huh?

Case in point:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNYqvbDmhBQ
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 11-03-2011 at 09:53 AM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Ginosifu, at my BJJ academy we have had guys come in in their 50 and out of shape. Some left some stayed. We have one guy in his 60s now working on his black, he rolls three times a week very Technical. Im 43; started at 40, with a bad lowerback. Im working on my purple now, hope to have it with in the next year. What I am trying to say your student can grapple, he just has to use techn, not try to keep up to the 20 year olds. Will he get subed? Of course we all do, he shouldn't get hurt though. Tap often, no biggy

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    Joanne is confident she feels good about the situational stand up self defense. I think she can hold her own pretty well.

Dave just cant grapple, he is to old and to over weight.

Nigel can crush most kids his age and size.

these are just the facts

ginosifu
    Let's just hope THIS never happens to them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svt4c...eedwll&list=WL
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Strict rolling (minus throws and overzealous individuals who try and hyper extend elbows every time they are in a dominant position) is a hell of a lot more low impact than striking or even forms for that matter. I think this makes it more suitable for older, less conditioned students.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Strict rolling (minus throws and overzealous individuals who try and hyper extend elbows every time they are in a dominant position) is a hell of a lot more low impact than striking or even forms for that matter. I think this makes it more suitable for older, less conditioned students.
    Most people are good about not hurting their partners. And when it does happen, the other person normally feels pretty guity about it. Call me an optimist.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

What drake said, most guys when they have an armbar will give you plenty of time to tap. Thats the norm. Guys go hard, but with respect for training partners. once and awhiele you have a meathead walk in, upper belts set those guys straight fast. What goes around comes around. Not to say there are never injuries, it is a martial art, Injuries happen

This question is for you guys who currently train at a BJJ Academy:

Do you feel that an adequate amount of time is spent on takedowns and throws? Of course BJJ is know for groundwork but when doing randori do you normally start standing with the takedown or start on knees, in guard, ect. Just curious?
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    I agree with the above statement. It's actually less of an injury clause when rolling compared to sparring. Easier on the body and less likely to garner injury.

Some people don't want ground work. Fine and dandy. And a lot of fights do not go to the ground and are broke up within seconds. But fights are not dictated by what a person wants. Knowing you do not want to go to the ground does not mean you will not end up there. Grappling helps to maintain your level of understanding about it and comfort level. BJJ/wrestling/judo/etc. specialize in this, they understand the ground far better than any other style, why? because thats all they do.

I think in all honesty that grappling is a fear of personal space. People do not want to go there because it's a little taboo or unpleasant. But in reality fighting is not about what you want it's protecting yourself on all levels. standup, clinch, ground. that barrier people run against with personal space is a phobia of sorts and the only way to get around that is to face it.

Grappling is not about submitting someone (but it can be) it's understanding the dynamics of momentum, leverage and positioning. being able to advance position after someone has taken you down gives you a great advantage when unexpectedly entering the ground area. Being able to get off the ground and back to your feet is essential. I think everyone here knows that you do not want to be on the ground surrounded by multi. opponents. So learn it even though you do not like it and you can dictate, a little better, your situation.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

i personally feel judo is one of the best styles for a striker with limited ground grappling experience to cross train in if they are not looking for superior in depth ground grappling as found in bjj. you dont spend most of your time training the grappling on the ground, but you spend enough to be able to understand it, and then deal with it.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Judo is more about throwing than wrestling. You really don't spend much time on the ground at all. GR wrestling has you spend more time in the struggle than judo.

Judo is often - whoop/bang/point/ NEXT!

really fast.

I go to judo comps when My wife's neph is playing. Kid's a great judoka.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

and thats why i say its a great cross train art for someone who may do something like kungfu and be moderatly equanted with throwing, and very little to none in ground work. your throwing will be worked to a very good state and you will learn how to deal with the ground.

at the dojo i belong to, ne-waza is worked 1 day every week. which i feel is a pretty good ammount of time to get what you need on the ground.

you hear a lot of kungfu guys saying they dont want to spend a lot of time there, which is fine, but you should still put in enough to be able to deal with it. we've all had those 'fish out of water' experiences in martial arts. the right judo dojo is perfect for these guys.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    I agree with the above statement. It's actually less of an injury clause when rolling compared to sparring. Easier on the body and less likely to garner injury.

Some people don't want ground work. Fine and dandy. And a lot of fights do not go to the ground and are broke up within seconds. But fights are not dictated by what a person wants. Knowing you do not want to go to the ground does not mean you will not end up there. Grappling helps to maintain your level of understanding about it and comfort level. BJJ/wrestling/judo/etc. specialize in this, they understand the ground far better than any other style, why? because thats all they do.

I think in all honesty that grappling is a fear of personal space. People do not want to go there because it's a little taboo or unpleasant. But in reality fighting is not about what you want it's protecting yourself on all levels. standup, clinch, ground. that barrier people run against with personal space is a phobia of sorts and the only way to get around that is to face it.

Grappling is not about submitting someone (but it can be) it's understanding the dynamics of momentum, leverage and positioning. being able to advance position after someone has taken you down gives you a great advantage when unexpectedly entering the ground area. Being able to get off the ground and back to your feet is essential. I think everyone here knows that you do not want to be on the ground surrounded by multi. opponents. So learn it even though you do not like it and you can dictate, a little better, your situation.
    Dragonzbane:
    I agree with your post. Many people don't want to do Grappling because it invades their personal space and comfort zone. I have grappled since the age of 12, so I am comfortable in this range. I want everyone to practice Shuai Chiao and engage in some of the ground work I teach but, it is not their bag so I leave it alone.

You know I have tried with all my students to push them towards SC, but only a few follow that path. I have another student Veronica (she is 57), I have tried to ease her into some ground work with the high school wrestling styles down position. After 1 time she said no more, it was not for her so what do I do with her? kick her out of my school cuz she does not like ground stuff. No... I do my best to give as much advise about grappling and what happens when a rapist or mugger gets in close.

ginosifu