Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Telling it like it is may have cost me a student

To iron eagle, the training varies at the acedmey i train at. from starting on your feet to starting on the ground with of course specific work like one guy starting with his open guard, and grips ect. We work it all. A typical class might have takedown drills, start again after takedown, then to passing guard stuff, to final rolling from the knees. Depends what the professor whant to work, what he see where lacking as a group (last few weeks its been open guard), and of course is there a tournament coming. If there is we start standing when we roll. Luckly we have a few ex and current college wrestlers, their takedowns are amazing. How quick they can change levels, and shoot, and how forceful they come in. Always with control, just another league from my takedowns.

Quote Originally Posted by maxattck View Post
    To iron eagle, the training varies at the acedmey i train at. from starting on your feet to starting on the ground with of course specific work like one guy starting with his open guard, and grips ect. We work it all. A typical class might have takedown drills, start again after takedown, then to passing guard stuff, to final rolling from the knees. Depends what the professor whant to work, what he see where lacking as a group (last few weeks its been open guard), and of course is there a tournament coming. If there is we start standing when we roll. Luckly we have a few ex and current college wrestlers, their takedowns are amazing. How quick they can change levels, and shoot, and how forceful they come in. Always with control, just another league from my takedowns.
    Sounds great, man!! If you can stuff and negate a college wrestler's takedown, you can counter **** near anyone's takedowns!!

Which brings me to another point Lucas brought up. I would add wrestling to martial arts good for Kung Fu guys to cross train in, simply for takedowns, movement on the ground, and countering. Like I said, if you can stuff a high level wrestler's takedown, you can stop most other grapplers.

@ Gino

I am fortunate in that the females in our class are very open to learning grappling, many are not as it can be seen as intimate and close quarter but myself and the other instructor stress the importance of learning it, particualry for self-defense and rape prevention for women.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

There were so many wrong generalizations made it's pointless to try and address them all but to keep things simple:

on any given training night the end of class will involve free play from either the standing, kneeling, or someone in a set position (guard, side control etc.) Just to mix it up, and to force everyone to work positions they might not like.

If we start standing and you pull guard, that's considered a loss and you restart.

Judo has a very good ground game. Similar to BJJ but with different emphasis due to their rule sets. But they have it and train it.

There's no comparison to free rolling with full resistance against class mates and doing form or line drills. If you're doing serious rounds of mit work, maybe there's a cardio comparison.

The fitness level of a mid-range, moderately competitive BJJer, say purple belt, is high. More importantly, they have learned to manage their energy expenditure under duress.

Fights start in many ways an wind up in many places. To prepare for a certain type of fight/war is like only having an air force because you don't feel like fighting at sea or on land.

Truth is, one supports the other.

Kung Fu's hands haven't done anything to distinguish them in open competition.... and there is no ground game. For Kung Fu to be competitive it needs to change the way it trains its stand up game and learn a ground game.

This will not happen because of the type people that populate the system and their fantasy-like mindset. If they wanted reality they'd join a gym, not a kwoon.

Blog Entries
    Kung Fu's hands haven't done anything to distinguish them in open competition.... and there is no ground game. For Kung Fu to be competitive it needs to change the way it trains its stand up game and learn a ground game.
    Dang man, you're like a broken record.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    Kung Fu's hands haven't done anything to distinguish them in open competition....

This will not happen because of the type people that populate the system and their fantasy-like mindset. If they wanted reality they'd join a gym, not a kwoon.
    I would save spouting that type of observation for when you have distinguished yourself with your own hands in competition.

Don't get me wrong, I hate being associated with the average "Kung Fu'er" due to how many wannabe's and fakes there are out there and I feel I likely have little in common with most on this forum. That being said, in my travels I have noticed that there are plenty of wannabe's in boxing and MMA clubs as well, with a much smaller percentage that walk the walk.
    -Golden Arms-

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Arms View Post
    I have noticed that there are plenty of wannabe's in boxing and MMA clubs as well, with a much smaller percentage that walk the walk.
    1. you elitist snob.

2. That is very true.

3. dang.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    I agree with your post. Many people don't want to do Grappling because it invades their personal space and comfort zone. I have grappled since the age of 12, so I am comfortable in this range.
    same, that's about the age I started wrestling. I agree you can't force people to do something they do not want to do. In our class I stress the need for it and try to explain that a rapist is not worried about going to the ground thats what he wants. I find that women have a tough time with it and understandably so. They look at it from a perspective of personal, it's hard to express that it's training and not on that level. some pick up on it pretty fast though. We have a young girl in our class that is 16ish and picks up fast on it, comes down to the person really. I rolled with a woman that is a BB in BJJ at another school once and was suprised at the tech. she demonstrated. I'm a big guy 225ish and pretty built (not blowing my horn) she countered and evaded a lot of my stuff and was able to put me in position for setups. She rolled really well.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

where on LI do u train?

I train at socas academy, www.socabjj.com. great place to train, soca real down to earth, great guy, teachs all the classes himself, and he rolls with us. His game is amazing

I told him while training after lunch, do you like eating or drinking? ..... you NEED both.

He's been quick to pick up the hands and shows too much of an interest to move the hands, but get him to shrimp out or bridge well and he becomes like a sludge.

I told him, I'm not going to kill him with cardio, but when it comes to the ground you have to move your ass. The drills alone are cardio crunchers.

He got tired of working side control and called it a day and left the boxing gloves I've been letting him borrow behind.

I showed him, how if he can't escape side control I'm going to punish him there, shoulder plant his face into the ground, tug on his hips, give him knee on belly.... just so he quits and I can take an arm and crank it. You have to fight to survive from there. You have to be comfortable with weight, pressure and you have to have the cardio and will to endure.

Its not city college either. I would love to teach him just the hands, because I would like to have someone work them with, but it's not right. It's irresponsible to built something half way.
    one step at a time.

some students are slow to pick up stuffs.

In a way, learning by mistake is the best teacher.

You can always step back a bit and just explain why.

If the student continues to slack or make mistake, when he got beat up the hard way one day.

Then you get say "I Told you so".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbycvUQzVD8&ob=av2n

It is all good.

Blog Entries
    If they wanted reality they'd join a gym, not a kwoon.
    One of my students is teaching in a MMA gym. From what he told me, in that MMA gym, there are boxing coach, MT coach, wrestling coach, and BJJ coach. He is the only TCMA instructor who teaches the integration of kick, punch, lock, throw, and ground game (he has more than 8 years of ground game experience).

If you ask a wrestling coach to cross train boxing and MT, it may still takes him many years to do his integration work. The nice thing about the TCMA is the integration is already there. All you need is to add the ground game, your TCMA will be "complete".
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-03-2011 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Arms View Post
    I would save spouting that type of observation for when you have distinguished yourself with your own hands in competition.
    When I win... I distinguish myself amongst the competition that day.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    One of my students is teaching in a MMA gym. From what he told me, in that MMA gym, there are boxing coach, MT coach, wrestling coach, and BJJ coach. He is the only TCMA instructor who teaches the integration of kick, punch, lock, throw, and ground game (he has more than 8 years of ground game experience).

If you ask a wrestling coach to cross train boxing and MT, it may still takes him many years to do his integration work. The nice thing about the TCMA is the integration is already there. All you need is to add the ground game, your TCMA will be "complete".
    Every coach will have their own unique background, you can't package them all together. I've had wrestling coaches who have won several MMA events.... I've had wrestling coaches who have stepped outside of their base area of knowledge and start talking hands. I've had sifu demonstrate complete mastery or hands, feet, throws, locks, ground-related death strikes.... against students trained to react how they're supposed to.

That is the time the student, customer, buyer needs to be aware, use their brain and even speak up after class.

I've told a coach of mine he's strictly my grappling coach, and I don't want to address stand up with him unless he has bodies, sparring partners, that he can provide at least two days a week. His guys were all good on the ground, usually take some medal in every tournament, but they didn't want to spar.... I couldn't count just on them to prepare me for a fight.

I train at socas academy, www.socabjj.com. great place to train, soca real down to earth, great guy, teachs all the classes himself, and he rolls with us. His game is amazing
    yes, I've heard very good things about him / his gym; my son studies out in Holbrook at the Vamos brothers' place - http://www.vamosjiujitsu.com/ - super nice guys (they study under D'Arce), great atmosphere, I like their approach;

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Let's just hope THIS never happens to them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svt4c...eedwll&list=WL
    not sure if that was child abuse or animal cruelty
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"