Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you spar in your Kung Fu class?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    Mr. Patterson, that's an interesting summary of your "tiered" legals. Glad you shared that. I'll keep some of that in mind for our school.
    You are quite welcome. It worked for me as one of the many steps that become necessary when you try to balance realism with modern legal issues, student motivation/retention, student desire/interest, etc.

It is hard sometimes nowadays balancing your desire to run a realistic and effective program in your school with the desire to have a successful school in which to run thta realistic and effective program.
    One of these days the world is going to become so politically correct that it will scare itself out of existence.

MP 2007

We tend to do light free sparring. The nature of some of the strikes we do, doesn't really lend itself to donning cumbersome pads and gloves. We wear mitts that leave the fingers free.

Some of our strikes use the fingers; like crane feathers to the eyes or the fingers immitate the beak of the crane or strike with the edge of the hand (yik) or with the wrist. We also employ a lot of subtle spins that you just couldn't do with gloves on. We spin the fist on the way to the target and then some of the strikes spin as they hit aswell.

I sometimes wish we could do more sparring, as I think it's really important to build up the reactions. Occasionally we get a bit carried away and the Sifus stop us and say 'light free sparring!'. Inevitably we get tagged occasionally but that helps keep your evasion and defense sharp.
    This is my Dad, he works in an abattoir...

well im not in a cma school at this point in time, im focused on judo right now, but i'll share a few ways we spar.

1. upper ranks (this depends on how many people are there) line one side of the gym, lower ranks line up to a partner, spar for 1-2 min, after time, move one man to your right. depends on how many people are there as to how many times you spar each person...say 6 sparring matches at once, you would spar 12 times then, roughly you spar each guy 2 times. if you gas you can break if you really need. 'full contact'

2. everyone in a circle, one guy in middle, everyone takes turns sparring with him for 1-2 min. spar until your done, then keep sparring. this is game face, this is how its going to be in competion. time to get serious. no breaks. 'full contact'

with these two you will be sparring people heavier, lighter, more skilled and less skilled (unless you're a noob like me ) upper ranks will 'adjust' their skill level to lower ranks.

3. find someone with your similar weight and spar. if they are similar rank, even better. this is much more casual. 'full contact'
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Some of our strikes use the fingers; like crane feathers to the eyes or the fingers immitate the beak of the crane or strike with the edge of the hand (yik) or with the wrist. We also employ a lot of subtle spins that you just couldn't do with gloves on. We spin the fist on the way to the target and then some of the strikes spin as they hit aswell.

Do you find that this kind of sparring takes away from power generation or builds bad habits? Not downing on what your doing. Just asking.

I remember starting in KF and we did a lot of intricate striking with hand postures. Cranes beak, phonix eye, dragons head, etc. Later on when I started training in differeing styles and systems (boxing, MT, etc.) I noted the bad habits I had aquired in pulling stuff from earlier drills as stated. Just curious if you've ever experienced this.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post

Please share thoughts and ideas concerning this.
    If you have a good mattress or a stage with a ring.

You may go free will but both have to agree to some rules.

San Shou rules

Kuo Shu rules

or just some agreed rules.

punch kick throw away

most would say no elbow, no knee, no head shot etc

fine as long as both agree

what ever you want basically.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    Do you find that this kind of sparring takes away from power generation or builds bad habits? Not downing on what your doing. Just asking.

I remember starting in KF and we did a lot of intricate striking with hand postures. Cranes beak, phonix eye, dragons head, etc. Later on when I started training in differeing styles and systems (boxing, MT, etc.) I noted the bad habits I had aquired in pulling stuff from earlier drills as stated. Just curious if you've ever experienced this.
    No I don't think so. I think they are just another possible strike in you're arsenal. These techniques are difficult to use in sparring, the reason for this I think is that if you use them then you have to use them properly, which you just can't do in a friendly sparring match. They always target vunerable areas or pressure points.

We do quite a bit of work conditioning the fingers & wrists. Which is neccesary in order to make these techniques effective. The punches we use are very direct, no pulling back or winnding up the punch, everything moves straight towards the target as fast as possible.

I'd like to try another style at some point. I think some of the techniques we do combined with some of the Wing Chun close quarter stuff would be quite effective.
    This is my Dad, he works in an abattoir...

Quote Originally Posted by KJW View Post
    No I don't think so. I think they are just another possible strike in you're arsenal. These techniques are difficult to use in sparring, the reason for this I think is that if you use them then you have to use them properly, which you just can't do in a friendly sparring match. They always target vunerable areas or pressure points.

We do quite a bit of work conditioning the fingers & wrists. Which is neccesary in order to make these techniques effective. The punches we use are very direct, no pulling back or winnding up the punch, everything moves straight towards the target as fast as possible.

I'd like to try another style at some point. I think some of the techniques we do combined with some of the Wing Chun close quarter stuff would be quite effective.
    In Pai Lum some of the finger and wrist conditioning include:

Tiger Claw Pushups- All fingers curled into Tiger Claw and held while performing pushups.

Mantis Wrist Pushups- Push ups done on the wrists to condition and strenghten.

Finger and Serpent Fang Conditioning- Best done on a makiwara, spearhand, single, and two pronged finger strikes to condition this area.

Grip Ball- Strengthens the hands and fingers, essential for having strong Tiger Claw, Dragon Claw, and Eagle Claw.

Also if you have a canvas bag practicing Tiger Tear is useful, palm strike followed by Tiger Claw. This will strenghten both hand and fingers as well as practice timing and give you a target.

One thing to consider when using some of the more exotic animal techniques and pressure points is that using these while clinching and controlling your opponent using Shuai is much more effective than while trying to strike a moving opponent.
    Small, particulary soft areas that finger and wrist strikes are meant to hit are difficult on a moving opponent due to the small window you are trying to apply.

Threading the needle.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato