Thread: gloves help

Storme Guest

gloves help

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a good pair of gloves for sparring? The ones I use now are the foam-dipped vinyl ones. I can't grab properly with those and I've hurt my knuckles before punching with those.

I've seen some people in my class wear those opened-finger ones. I've been told that gloves that allow one to grab is better than those foam-dipped ones. Is that true? Are those any good?

Sorry if these questions are rather "newbie" but I've only been practising martial arts for 6 months. Thanks in advance for any input/comments.

TA...Storme

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Yung Ng
    stormesixx@yahoo.com
    www.happyshmoo.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    To conquer others is to have power; to conquer yourself is to know the way.

peehoo Guest

opens the way to go

I notice you do a shaolin style, we do as well and every one in class uses open finger gloves with padded knuckles and a small pad that runs on the inside below the fingers.
    They allow grabs and pak sau etc, they also let you use open hand techniques, they arn't as padded as some so they can sting if youdo catch a shot but they protect the wearer

do without doing

Fire Horse Guest

Gloves

I posted a similar question - I decided to buy the ProForce Cobra Punch Gloves. My local MA supply store carries them and they are available online at many different webstores.

The Proforce gloves are fingerless and they feel very comfortable in my hand - I tried another pair from a different company which were not as nice (the foam was a bit too stiff).

The padding on the glove is good enough to use for light contact sparring, the same way you would use a 'Macho Dynapunch'type foam glove, with the added benefit of being fingerless for grappling. When you clench a fist, the glove looks like a small boxing glove from certain angles, and the knuckles are covered by padding.

There are other companies, such as Tiger Claw, which make a similar style glove, so you have a few choices.

Good luck with your shopping

peehoo Guest

mmm change of opinion

I hurt my finger sparring on thursday so perhaps ill try some pu style gloves

do without doing