Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gym routine for Kung Fu?

Gym routine for Kung Fu?

I Kung Fu train twice a week but also have access to a general gym next to my University three times a week, I have been doing a stronglifts strength routine (squats/deadlifts/bench/military press) on and off for a couple of years but I'm not sure if this fits in well with a martial art or not?

I'd like to hold the horse stance longer and do anything else to compliment my Kung Fu training

Advice appreciated!

Many thanks,

Mike

I do sets/drills/forms between sets of weights. It also provides a fascinating sense of your own body when your arms are smoked, and you are doing hand forms immediately after... or kicking after doing squats.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by mjharper View Post
    I Kung Fu train twice a week but also have access to a general gym next to my University three times a week, I have been doing a stronglifts strength routine (squats/deadlifts/bench/military press) on and off for a couple of years but I'm not sure if this fits in well with a martial art or not?

I'd like to hold the horse stance longer and do anything else to compliment my Kung Fu training

Advice appreciated!

Many thanks,

Mike
    Your workout should be fine. As a piece of advice, if you want a good horse for kung fu, I find it's better, instead of thinking of holding it longer, to train to drop into it as though you were dropping behind an opponent and throwing them, in short, make it into a dynamic stance that you go into and come out of readily. When you can throw the person who can hold the stance longer using the stance, you learn to live with the shame of not being able to hold the stance as long.

Mostly kidding.

squats/deadlifts/bench/military press
    As far as lifts go those are all you need, might want to do good mornings too, body wait stuff like push up, sit ups and planks are good on non lift days. Try stretching after you are done with your squats, my deepest stretches have been after squats

Blog Entries
    access to a general gym ...
    The weight pulley will be good. It can help you to train defense against leg shooting - press your opponent's head down to ground.

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/5606/weightpulley2.jpg
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-02-2011 at 04:44 PM.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    I do sets/drills/forms between sets of weights. It also provides a fascinating sense of your own body when your arms are smoked, and you are doing hand forms immediately after... or kicking after doing squats.
    I usually do the sets/drills/forms after i've done everything. Like you said you feel it more and get the fatigue more prominent after you've done all your weight regiment. I also throw a mile and half run in sometimes after my weights.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Cheers guys

Best ratio of pulling to pressing upper body exercises for MA = 2 to 1
    Add Chins variations
    Inverted row variations
    DB row variations
    Cable pull variations

Core anti-extension
    Core anti-rotation

Check out this site, lots of good ideas here:

http://rosstraining.com/blog/
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Something to watch out for is that training a lot of high intensity work concurrently with max strength will smoke you pretty quickly. Mind your recovery to avoid remorse for the week prior's over training.

weight lifting and kung fu training are one and the same.

weight vest/hold squat stance under smith machine until failure
    Last edited by bawang; 11-03-2011 at 12:49 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

If you can separate the lifting from the martial arts I think it's great.

My point, in lifting you resist and fight the weight. You struggle against it. In fighting you drop the weight, you let it go. You don't resist.

Just keep that in mind. Don't bring a muscle head mentality to class. Try not to overpower your classmates when drilling. Use technique.

Then when you face someone for real you have power AND technique.... though power is good to have.

Quote Originally Posted by ray pina View Post
    if you can separate the lifting from the martial arts i think it's great.

My point, in lifting you resist and fight the weight. You struggle against it. In fighting you drop the weight, you let it go. You don't resist.

Just keep that in mind. Don't bring a muscle head mentality to class. Try not to overpower your classmates when drilling. Use technique.

Then when you face someone for real you have power and technique.... Though power is good to have.
    wut?

The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

abandon all notions of weightlifting to supplement your kungfu. Added bulk only makes you slow and inflexible, thus counterproductive to good kung fu.

Quote Originally Posted by Brule View Post
    abandon all notions of weightlifting to supplement your kungfu. Added bulk only makes you slow and inflexible, thus counterproductive to good kung fu.
    what? Yer trolling dude. lol.

Resistance training is key to building strength, strength is key to having kung fu. Many, many, many of the great kung fu men did resistance training or lifting.

even today weight is used by scores of kung fu players, myself included.

I don't body build, but weight is key to maintaining this adonis like shape I got going on!

For instance, this man in this picture is Chiu Wai, Older son of Chiu Kao and older brother of Chiu Chi Ling. Look at what lays resting on the floor to the right of this pic. :-)
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 11-03-2011 at 01:32 PM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.