Thread: Russian Strength Training Methods

Russian Strength Training Methods

This vid is from the 80's of Russian Greco-Roman wrestlers and their strenght training. Many of the methods they used are applied today and can be very beneficial for one's Shuai Jiao and grappling training. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN0f9...ayer_embedded#!

Take note about twenty seconds in to the footwork and "rooting" applied by the wrestlers and how that compares to stance and foot work rooting found in TCMA.
    Last edited by Iron_Eagle_76; 11-03-2011 at 06:15 AM.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

nice find speaking to some guys that trained out in russia what surprised them was how much time they spent on technical work, and how little S and C external work they did, conditioning was build by doing hours and hours of technical reps, not endless sprints ...and strength was build grappling not doing too much weights

Good stuff.
    A good balance of sport specific Strength and sport specific conditioning with general S&C is vital in my opinion.
    You can have a great DL but it won't lend itself 100% to nailing someone with a suplex and you cna have a great suplex but i t won't lend itself to moving a fridge up some stairs.
    Know what I mean?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Interesting stuff, but it seems that at least some of the wrestlers we saw were Armenian, not Russian.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    nice vid. I've done the lifting bar drill where you post it in a corner and swing it back and forth. I like the spotlight on the footwork used. wrestling def. stresses foot work and positioning. someone posted the vid of the SJ guys throwing the stone blocks and it's interesting to see some of the same concepts used with the kettle bell here.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    nice vid. I've done the lifting bar drill where you post it in a corner and swing it back and forth.
    Full contact twists?

I thought I read somewhere that those were bad for you, although I can't remember why.

I've done them in the past and I remember my obliques being sore.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Full contact twists?
    I guess that's what they are called. not sure. yeah they make you sore as hell. I've never heard they were bad for you though. I don't do them on a regular basis, just every once and awhile i'll throw them into a regiment for lifting.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

my wife enjoyed watching this - it reminded here of what she used to see her father do when she was growing up in Latvia (he was a former Soviet Air Force colonel, as well as SAMBO practitioner)

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    Interesting stuff, but it seems that at least some of the wrestlers we saw were Armenian, not Russian.
    yes, my wife said the locale looked like the Crimea (cyprus trees r the giveaway), and that it seemed to be Armenians

Greetings,

What I enjoyed was how the function of the exercise was demonstrated in the wrestling.

What I did not like was the music. I am use to seeing a man and a woman or a woman and a woman while listening to music like that. I had to mute it.

mickey

My high school buddy was half Armenian, of course his father was full Armenian. Those guys are not hairy enough to be Armenian. I am guessing possibly Turkic.

Armenians are almost as hairy as bears.....believe me.......take the hairiest guy you have ever seen and double it, then you will have an Armenian!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    My high school buddy was half Armenian, of course his father was full Armenian. Those guys are not hairy enough to be Armenian. I am guessing possibly Turkic.

Armenians are almost as hairy as bears.....believe me.......take the hairiest guy you have ever seen and double it, then you will have an Armenian!
    Easy there tiger, my wife is Armenian...

It's true though, and some of the women are almost as bad too. You wouldn't believe how popular laser hair removal is here in Glendale, CA. They didn't look Armenian to me, facial structure is a bit different.

Anyways, I love this classic stuff, when I am lifting at the local gym here, many of the Armenians often comment on my blend of Olympic lifting and powerlifting, and ask me if I am Russian. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Fa Xing View Post
    Easy there tiger, my wife is Armenian...

It's true though, and some of the women are almost as bad too. You wouldn't believe how popular laser hair removal is here in Glendale, CA. They didn't look Armenian to me, facial structure is a bit different.

Anyways, I love this classic stuff, when I am lifting at the local gym here, many of the Armenians often comment on my blend of Olympic lifting and powerlifting, and ask me if I am Russian. lol.
    Ha!! I almost added a line about their women too, I also knew my buddy's grandmother, but I decided that would be going to far!!

Interesting story....his grandfather was surrounded by a pack of wolves in Armenia. When the Alpha male lunged at him, having no weapon available, he jammed his fist down the wolves mouth and killed it. The rest of the pack ran off. The guys I knew were gentle giants, but they can also be tough as nails!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Ha!! I almost added a line about their women too, I also knew my buddy's grandmother, but I decided that would be going to far!!

Interesting story....his grandfather was surrounded by a pack of wolves in Armenia. When the Alpha male lunged at him, having no weapon available, he jammed his fist down the wolves mouth and killed it. The rest of the pack ran off. The guys I knew were gentle giants, but they can also be tough as nails!
    lol, cool story. You'd be surprising how many of them just love fighting, and how willing they trade and spar just to explore.