Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Guillotines

Heavy drama, light action

I hear ya, HH. If I want heavy drama, light action, I'll watch Jane Austen flicks.
    "The Guillotines": Heavy on drama, light on wu xia action
    By Han Wei Chou | Posted: 31 December 2012 1245 hrs

"The Guillotines" promotional poster.

SINGAPORE: Contrary to what its trailer makes it out to be, "The Guillotines" is not exactly a kung-fu film.

It is actually more of a drama with a dash of action in it.

Set during the Qing Dynasty, The film revolves around The Guillotines, a secretive band of assassins that do the Emperor's dirty work, and hunt the enemies of the Chinese imperial court.

They use a special weapon that is thrown at their victims and quickly decapitates them, the Flying Guillotine.

Leng (Ethan Ruan), who commands a detachment of these assassins, is tasked with the capture of Wolf (Huang Xiaoming), the leader of a rebel faction.

But he soon finds himself embroiled in a deadly web of intrigue that involves his childhood friend Haidu (Shawn Yue), who leads the rifle squad that threatens to replace The Guillotines, the enigmatic Wolf, and the Emperor himself.

The main focus of the (rather lengthy) 113-minute film seems to be Leng's inner conflicts.

He repeatedly finds himself in situations that force him to consider where his loyalties lie.

Quite a lot of attention has also been paid to the conflict between old and new, as Haidu's rifle team gradually makes The Guillotines irrelevant, when it comes to eliminating the Emperor's enemies.

While these facets of the story are interesting, developing them takes up a very large chunk of the film, and leaves very little space for the action, most of which does not even feature the Flying Guillotine.

Even the big finale consists of only guns and explosions, with the Flying Guillotine, one of the most famous weapons in wu xia lore, nowhere to be seen.

That said, though fans of the wu xia film genre may feel a little disappointed by the lack of Flying Guillotine action, "The Guillotines" is still quite an engaging film, and will appeal to those who enjoy intricate storylines with thought-provoking plot twists.

Directed by Andrew Lau and produced by Peter Chan, "The Guillotines" has much in common with Lau's police thriller "Infernal Affairs" as well as Chan's gritty film war film "The Warlords" – both pretty good films.

"The Guillotines" just feels like it has some trouble deciding what sort of film it wants to be – a thriller, a war epic, or an all-out kung fu flick - and ends up spreading itself too thin trying to cover all the bases.

On a final note, those who want to catch "The Guillotines" may wish to watch the standard version of it instead of the 3D one, as there are precious few (and mostly inconsequential) 3D scenes in it.

3/5 stars.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

US theatrical release

Looks like Well Go USA was working on getting this into US theaters for a limited release on June 14 2013. There are no theaters listed yet.

VOD and iTunes releases today.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Limited US theatrical release this Friday

The Guillotines - On VOD 5/14, in theaters 6/14

USA Jun 14, 2013
    NYC
    IFC Center
    323 Avenue of the Americas
    New York, NY 10014

LOS ANGELES / SAN DIEGO
    Laemmle Theatres
    9036 Wilshire Blvd
    Beverly Hills, CA 90211

Laemmle's Playhouse 7 - Laemmle Theatres
    673 E Colorado Blvd
    Pasadena, CA 91101

SAN FRANCISCO / BAY AREA
    4 Star Theatre
    2200 Clement St
    San Francisco, CA 94121

Presidio Theater
    2340 Chestnut St,
    San Francisco, CA 94123

PORTLAND
    Hollywood Theater
    4122 NE Sandy Blvd
    Portland, OR 97212

SEATTLE
    SIFF Cinema
    511 Queen Anne Ave N
    Seattle, WA 98109

PHOENIX
    FilmBar
    815 N 2nd St
    Phoenix, AZ 85004

DENVER
    SIE Film Center
    2510 East Colfax,
    Denver, CO 80204

The Back Space Theatre
    1120 Main Ave # 2,
    Durango, CO 81301
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I watched this on XBOX's early sneak release. This feature is really cool, pretty much every kungfu movie that makes it to a theatrical release in america is available first through xbox. Thats how I've seen them all the past couple years.

Anyhow, I enjoyed the movie for the most part. I like the changes they made to the guillotine weapon itself, it got all fancy and cool, yet at the same time paying homage to the original. Some pretty slick movies in the movie.

One thing that kind of irked me:

Minor Spoiler:

The guillotine's were all pretty freaking bad ass at the beginning, and then later on in the film when they're on the defense/run they all become little bitches. just kind of irked me, i mean its like 'wait i thought you guys were bad ass kungfu masters trained to kill your entire lives, when did you forget how to fight or use your super wujia moves?'

just kind of annoying but otherwise, it was a great production i think. I'd give it like 3-3.5 stars out of 5.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Sweepstakes double-header

DOUBLE SWEEPSTAKES! Enter to win THE GUILLOTINES on DVD and G.I.JOE: RETALIATION Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack! Both contests end 6:00 p.m. PST on 08/22/13. Good luck everyone!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our winners are announced

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Good luck to me!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Who's really the winner here?

My condolences to anyone who 'won' this contest...I highly recommend you use this DVD for something other than viewing purposes. A paper weight? Something to throw at your kids? A door stop? Or sell it on the black market for it's plastic content. You've been warned.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

The DVD can be a flying guillotine!

The original Flying Guillotine is super cheesey, but to the point of being entertaining. It's a classic of director Ho Menghua's style to be sure. Note that there is often confusion between the original with Chen Koon Tai and the U.S. released sequel, Master of the Flying Guillotine, which is absurdly crazy. This new one is based on the original, although mostly thematically, as it goes a very different direction. I watched the original on iTunes again right after watching this new one, and it makes a fascinating double feature, although not one I'd recommend to anyone who isn't a major fan of the genre.

This new one has a lot of scenic panoramas, gratuitous slo mo, lackluster CGI blood, bullets, arrows, cannonballs, explosions and flying guillotines - flying in yo face cuz it's 3D, and grandiose underlying patriotism. It might have been better in 3D as it has some spectacle. Lots of sword fights. Overdone in every way. If the 3D was good, it would have been a better film. I can watch a lot of 3D explosions.

Was that Yu Zhenhua in one scene? That would be weird.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips