Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No Ground Fighting in Wing Chun!!!

No Ground Fighting in Wing Chun!!!

Wing Chun Doesn't have ground fighting!!!

Atleast Wing Chun prior to the year 2001 doesnt have ground fighting in.

There is Kuit Kuen or sayings in WC that speaks on ground techniques like rolling, armbar, and other various techniques done on the ground....

WC is inclose upright fighting style...WC is No more a ground fighting System than Boxing or Muay Thai is...

Those who have added Ground work to their wing chun are MMAist.

Its all good adding some Ground and pound to your Chun...But there is no form, san shou or WC sayings that deal with fighting on the ground in the rear gaurd or otherwise!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Oh boy, here we go again........LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    Oh boy, here we go again........LOL!
    ------------------------------------------------
    Yoshiyahu brings up the same old things again and again. Cheers and bye on this thread.

I f you dont have a wc person to show you- go do something else. And be honest and dont call it wc!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ------------------------------------------------
    Yoshiyahu brings up the same old things again and again. Cheers and bye on this thread.

I f you dont have a wc person to show you- go do something else. And be honest and dont call it wc!!
    u dont like my topic?
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post

There is Kuit Kuen or sayings in WC that speaks on ground techniques like rolling, armbar, and other various techniques done on the ground....

WC is inclose upright fighting style...WC is No more a ground fighting System than Boxing or Muay Thai is...

Its all good adding some Ground and pound to your Chun...But there is no form, san shou or WC sayings that deal with fighting on the ground in the rear gaurd or otherwise!
    Ground fighting is not all about grappling. If by ground fighting you mean arm bars, kimoras and chokes then I would agree but you should be able to use your Wing Chun standing, sitting or from the ground. You don't need to add to the system, just explore and train your techniques in different scenarios. Boxers and MT sylists don't do it because their sport has rules, street application doesn't.
    You can either train hard with your Wing chun on the floor or you can go and learn jiu jitsu or some other art looking for a miracle answer but badly trained grappling is no better than badly trained Wing Chun. And never lose sight of the fact that the goal of ground fighting int he street should be to get back to the feet as quickly as possible
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

have you tested your WC ground fighting against non-competiton ground fighters!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    Ground fighting is not all about grappling. If by ground fighting you mean arm bars, kimoras and chokes then I would agree but you should be able to use your Wing Chun standing, sitting or from the ground. You don't need to add to the system, just explore and train your techniques in different scenarios. Boxers and MT sylists don't do it because their sport has rules, street application doesn't.
    You can either train hard with your Wing chun on the floor or you can go and learn jiu jitsu or some other art looking for a miracle answer but badly trained grappling is no better than badly trained Wing Chun. And never lose sight of the fact that the goal of ground fighting int he street should be to get back to the feet as quickly as possible

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    Well said! As far as this topic goes, I agree with pretty much everything in this post
    Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die...

have you tested your WC ground fighting against non-competiton ground fighters!!!
    There are no non-competition ground fighters. The sport of fighting depends on submissions and knockouts to win a fight, but submissions are out when you are actually fighting on the street. No one on the street wants to go to the ground and stay there because it is extremely dangerous for them. Only a fool would deliberately do that. In fact, most systems do not develop a strong ground fighting ability unless they are sport oriented. Wing Chun is not the only one.
    If I were out with friends and one of them got into a row with someone and the guy took him to the ground and began to choke him, I would simply kick his head for him and that would be that. I can not speak of recent times or all the other WC lineages, but I learned how to get back to my feet from a take down. I have several methods of doing so, and it always works perfectly the first time It is done to someone. Like everything else, the second time is not as easy because the guy is wise to it. No matter what system of fighting you choose to learn, it is always to your benefit to learn how to use it in every situation. If you don't, then you are likely to one day wish you had.
    Jackie Lee

How effective is ground fighting against multiple opponents? Maybe that is why WC was not designed for rolling around on the ground as its main focus.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonmarcelino View Post
    How effective is ground fighting against multiple opponents? Maybe that is why WC was not designed for rolling around on the ground as its main focus.
    Um good point, I was raised in London , guys chase you down in gangs and treat you like a soccer ball, you learn to not ground fight.
    I was taught to get up asap.
    Last edited by k gledhill; 11-06-2011 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Um good point, I was raised in London , guys chase you down in gangs and treat you like a soccer ball, you learn to not ground fight.
    I was taught to get up asap.
    Oh yes, the famous London Fist style, where out of no where you would hear someone shouting, "I challenge you to a fight and you must wait for me outside my local pub where my friends are, but give us time to have numerous pints of beer first, to build our "chi" enough for it to sink to our b@lls, before I (we) fight you". Additional comments might include, "I remind you that we are humans and we have rights, so if you hurt us, we will sue you, as attacking you was not our faults, it was all that beer, you see"....LOL!
    Last edited by Hardwork108; 11-06-2011 at 02:46 PM.

Oh yes, the famous London Fist style, where out of no where you would hear someone shouting, "I challenge you to a fight and you must wait for me outside my local pub where my friends are, but give us time to have numerous pints of beer first, to build our "chi" enough for it to sink to our b@lls, before I (we) fight you". Additional comments might include, "I remind you that we are humans and we have rights, so if you hurt us, we will sue you, as attacking you was not our faults, it was all that beer, you see"....LOL!
    So you know the "way of the beer fist" London lads dont do 'sue you' they 'do you' na wot I meen guv ?

Yoshi, where do you come up with the date 2001? Wing Chun has always had strategies to apply if you get taken to the ground, like Jackie, and WC Ian pointed out. I can remember in being instructed in ways to apply WC from the ground by my old Chinese sifu way back in the early 80's.

As far as integrating more and more ground-based training, you are right. After the inglorious Emin Boztepe-William Cheung fight went to the ground, I met Emin (then a member of the EWTO) when he first visited the States, and he told me he was working hard on improving his ground game. Later in the 90s with the rise of MMA, I believe a lot of other WC/VT/WT groups started paying attention to ground fighting as well. Hence the rise of "anti-grappling". From my own perspective, "anti-grappling" is widely misperceived as a poor copy of the grappler's art. In my opinion it is, or at least, should be a set of techniques for recovering from a grappling situation, take-down or what have you... a means for getting back into your WC range, so the other guy has to play on your terms. In other words, what Ian, Jackie, and even Kevin ("I was taught to get up asap") already said.
    Last edited by Grumblegeezer; 11-06-2011 at 03:34 PM.
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    So you know the "way of the beer fist" London lads dont do 'sue you' they 'do you' na wot I meen guv ?
    You should meet the Colombian Lads where I live - the realities of is considered as "tough" or "hard" in Europe is very different to that of Colombia....

You should meet the Colombian Lads where I live - the realities of is considered as "tough" or "hard" in Europe is very different to that of Colombia....
    I would feel okay with my CZ-75 in my shoulder holster a great leveler of hard and tough, I may be outnumbered but never outgunned