Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No Ground Fighting in Wing Chun!!!

do u think wc was originally designed with ground fighting in mind?
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Wing Chun was originally designed with fighting in mind. Any kind of fighting will have various ranges. The ground is just one of those ranges. Many TCMA deal with the ground in various ways.

However, in today's world of Mcdojo's and/or incomplete TCMA tuition, many people who should know better have publicly stated that the TCMAs, not just Wing Chun, do not address the ground scenario.

They are WRONG, as this is not a matter of my "opinion" vs their "opinion", it is a matter of FACT, referred to by the likes of sifu Mike Patterson and others.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    No- but wing chun was designed to train individuals for training themselves to play their own game with what they have and adapt themselves to circumstances in a martial way. Good wing chun training can result in versatility of body and mind. I have found it to be so. I can't speak for others.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    I would feel okay with my CZ-75 in my shoulder holster a great leveler of hard and tough, I may be outnumbered but never outgunned
    This is Colombia. You may not be outnumbered here, but you will be out gunned sooner or later...

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    This is Colombia. You may not be outnumbered here, but you will be out gunned sooner or later...
    Columbia does strike me as having the potential for this happening

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Columbia does strike me as having the potential for this happening
    The good news about Colombia is that if you don't look for trouble, then it will rarely find you, hence you can take advantages of the distinct beauty and culture of this country.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    No- but wing chun was designed to train individuals for training themselves to play their own game with what they have and adapt themselves to circumstances in a martial way. Good wing chun training can result in versatility of body and mind. I have found it to be so. I can't speak for others.
    I am assuming that a long time ago a master in my Mainland Chinese lineage formulated a ground fighting methodolgy based on Wing Chun's concepts and principles, which was not trimmed out of the style in later years.
    Last edited by Hardwork108; 11-07-2011 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post

Im simply saying that WC is designed to specifically a ground fighting art...But it is essential designed to combat upright assualts. NE way if your WC is ground based i would love to see it in action!!!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Looks like even boxers go to the ground.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RmtOnbt3cM
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

No, there is no ground fighting in WC. I can't believe this actually needs to be said really. Yes there are different ranges of combat,no, before the year 2000 WC would probably never have been practiced regularly on the ground.

I know this because:

Pure WC practitioners have no idea what positions you end up in when you are on the ground.

I have studied WC, and I've never been on the ground with it.

Thanks for your post!

Quote Originally Posted by Chadderz View Post
    No, there is no ground fighting in WC. I can't believe this actually needs to be said really. Yes there are different ranges of combat,no, before the year 2000 WC would probably never have been practiced regularly on the ground.

I know this because:

Pure WC practitioners have no idea what positions you end up in when you are on the ground.

I know this because:

LOL.
    Actually you only "know" what you have been taught or experienced and unless you have trained under every lineage and every sifu within each, or maybe learnt personally from Ip Man or one of his peers on the mainland then you can only assert that there is no ground fighting in the WC that you have learnt.
    As for not knowing what positions you end up in on the ground, how many different ways can you position two human bodies? Just because the gracies stuck some labels on them doesn't make positions like mount, side mount etc suddenly mysterious and unknown. Go to any playground anywhere in the world and watch kids playfighting / fighting and you'll see all the same positions.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    LOL.
    Actually you only "know" what you have been taught or experienced and unless you have trained under every lineage and every sifu within each, or maybe learnt personally from Ip Man or one of his peers on the mainland then you can only assert that there is no ground fighting in the WC that you have learnt.
    As for not knowing what positions you end up in on the ground, how many different ways can you position two human bodies? Just because the gracies stuck some labels on them doesn't make positions like mount, side mount etc suddenly mysterious and unknown. Go to any playground anywhere in the world and watch kids playfighting / fighting and you'll see all the same positions.
    Oh cool, you're disagreeing with me. So I assume you have something constructive to add? Maybe some proof that WC is used on the ground, or practiced regularly? And if it is, how effective is it compared to other arts, SAMBO for instance.

However if you have an opinion with nothing to back it up, keep your posts to yourself. (:

Oh cool, you're disagreeing with me. So I assume you have something constructive to add? Maybe some proof that WC is used on the ground, or practiced regularly? And if it is, how effective is it compared to other arts, SAMBO for instance.

However if you have an opinion with nothing to back it up, keep your posts to yourself. (:
    For my opinion etc see the thread above before your own post. As for how effective WC is versus other arts, there is no art or style that is superior to any other only better exponents and circumstances. In terms of backing it up, I train regularly with guys who have spent years grappling in arts like wrestling, judo and jiu jitsu and I do perfectly okay thanks and they seem to like what I do because they continue to indulge me and add bits and pieces to their own training.
    FYI this is a forum, if you don't want others to respond to your posts then don't post.

Also after reading my previous post and realising that you are new to the forum, no offence was intended by the LOL in the post. It is however extremely irritating when posters claim that their view of Wing Chun is the only one inferring that all others are wrong.
    Last edited by wingchunIan; 11-10-2011 at 08:28 AM. Reason: reflection that previous post may have been overly abrasive to a new poster
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    For my opinion etc see the thread above before your own post. As for how effective WC is versus other arts, there is no art or style that is superior to any other only better exponents and circumstances. In terms of backing it up, I train regularly with guys who have spent years grappling in arts like wrestling, judo and jiu jitsu and I do perfectly okay thanks and they seem to like what I do because they continue to indulge me and add bits and pieces to their own training.
    FYI this is a forum, if you don't want others to respond to your posts then don't post.

Also after reading my previous post and realising that you are new to the forum, no offence was intended by the LOL in the post. It is however extremely irritating when posters claim that their view of Wing Chun is the only one inferring that all others are wrong.
    So you cross train? That's fine, but as I said, the Wing Chun system has never had a groundfighting element. That is YOU incorporating it yourself.

And none taken with the "LOL" thing (: