Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Name of this form?

Hi Steve (18 Elders),
    Where is that video of you and John doing the two man of this at Nick Scrima's tourny?
    Kevin

video

there used to be a link of it on here from yao sing( i believe) but last time i tried to find it, the link was gone

so, that video is gone forever?

This is interesting because when it is played out at this speed with the certain pauses thrown in, it changes a lot of the application compared to the way I learned it.

codeboy, can you explian? the aplication does not change due to the speed, pauses or empahsis
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

video

somewhere i have the vhs of it, just hope i can find it. some of my tapes got damaged and i had to toss them so hopefully it wasn't one of those.

LOL VHS, your dating yourself steve..... but if it helps you feel better I have some on 8mm
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by 18elders View Post
    somewhere i have the vhs of it, just hope i can find it. some of my tapes got damaged and i had to toss them so hopefully it wasn't one of those.
    Quick word of advice to anyone that still has stuff archived on VHS... after about 10 years, the recording medium on the tape starts to deteriorate, so transfer your footage to something better like DVD or better yet, a hard drive as soon as possible. You can buy VHS to DVD recorders for under $50 at places like Target. It's worth the investment.

vhs

I have just started the process of changing them to dvd. will probably take me a while.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Quick word of advice to anyone that still has stuff archived on VHS... after about 10 years, the recording medium on the tape starts to deteriorate, so transfer your footage to something better like DVD or better yet, a hard drive as soon as possible. You can buy VHS to DVD recorders for under $50 at places like Target. It's worth the investment.
    Thanks for reminding me on this. I'll do this ASAP. I have so many tournaments tape that I don't want to lose it.

[QUOTE=mooyingmantis;1141701]Here is a good rendition of the form, though again done at teaching speed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEJT6...eature=related

This is also a bad example of performing northern mantis with taichi favour.

One is too rigid. The other, too soft.

This is starting to sound like Goldilocks and the 3 bears.

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    codeboy, can you explian? the aplication does not change due to the speed, pauses or empahsis
    I don't mean to say that the application changes when the speed does. I mean to say that when I see the pauses and at this speed that I am more able to see the differences in the application compared to how I learned the form and the application that I learned. Does that make more sense?

ahh yeah that makes more sense, thats was I asked you to explian, sometimes the smaller things are broken down the eaiser it is to see the subtlies. for yers in our chi sao form i never saw the spiraling movemnet of my teachers fist, then when he broke it dowen in slow motion i was missing a whole cyntrifical movement and force which I had never known estisted
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Yep, no problem. I suppose a specific example would always help too, eh?

So, when he does his sembo (at 1:00 and 1:03) for example, he really drops his arm and scoops as if blocking a kick. The way I learned the application it was always more of a tiu sao clear type of motion. MightyB, you have any thoughts?