Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Po Pai drill clip

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Imagine the 5 petals on a Plum Flower. You have your right palm on the upper right petal and your left palm on the lower left petal. That's Po Pai, holding the board, placard, license, sign etc. Butterfly
    Palm is Woo Dip Jang. Po Pai and Woo Dip are completely different characters and they mean different things. (please excuse my iPhone typing).*
    Po pai is 3 elbow positions, the hands correspond to the elbows....3 elbows ~ 3 palms. We have dummy sections with all 3 being worked too .

I just found these characters so know I'm not sure which are the correct ones for the Po Pai palm.
    泼皮掌
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

I just found these characters so know I'm not sure which are the correct ones for the Po Pai palm.
    泼皮掌
    Hi, see here:

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/foru...=1#post1142758

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Not Ving Tsun method ....no....
    why do you say its not a wing chun method...i got it from wing chun site?

non-yip man but still wing chun!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Po pai is 3 elbow positions, the hands correspond to the elbows....3 elbows ~ 3 palms. We have dummy sections with all 3 being worked too .
    I'll show you how we do them when we meet in Chinatown tomorrow.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    why do you say its not a wing chun method...i got it from wing chun site?

non-yip man but still wing chun!
    Okay its not YM > WSL > PB VT you got me there.

I'll show you how we do them when we meet in Chinatown tomorrow.
    Daddy day care again... maybe meet up during week ?

While in Chinatown today (Kevin)..,
    I showed the characters I had to a few Chinese martial artists that I know including a White Crane Sifu who is well versed in other Southern Chinese martial arts. They all agreed that the characters below are the ones used for Po Pai. And they ALL said that it means carrying the sign. When I mentioned the reference to carrying the name of the deceased in a funeral he also agreed. The only difference is some of the Sifus used hand instead of palm in their systems.

抱牌掌 Po Pai Palm

抱牌手 Po Pai Hand
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 11-12-2011 at 07:07 PM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

While in Chinatown today (Kevin)..,
    I showed the characters I had to a few Chinese martial artists that I know including a White Crane Sifu who is well versed in other Southern Chinese martial arts. They all agreed that the characters below are the ones used for Po Pai. And they ALL said that it means carrying the sign. When I mentioned the reference to carrying the name of the deceased in a funeral he also agreed. The only difference is some of the Sifus used hand instead of palm in their systems.

抱牌掌 Po Pai Palm

抱牌手 Po Pai Hand
    Did they reference the elbows by any chance ? I'm not disputing what a character can mean or that it means placard only its relationship to VT and our elbow thinking...

Did they reference the elbows by any chance ? I'm not disputing what a character can mean or that it means placard only its relationship to VT and our elbow thinking...
    When you come to visit us I can show you how we use it. I don't know what "elbow thinking" means to you. Can you elaborate?
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Not Ving Tsun method ....no....
    I think the next time I'm in Chinatown I'm going to show the characters for Wing Chun to some Cantonese speakers, ask them to pronounce them and video their replies. I might as well show them the characters for Yip Man while I'm at it.
    I guarantee you won't hear a "V" sound in Wing Chun and you will hear the "Y" in Yip.
    Wait a minute. Kev, you're in NY. You can do that yourself.
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 11-12-2011 at 08:48 PM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

When you come to visit us I can show you how we use it. I don't know what "elbow thinking" means to you. Can you elaborate?
    Thats my point, the terms dont cover the SLT technical positions of the elbows that coincide with our tan sao "dispersing elbow" strike and our Jum sao "inward elbow" strike.

I will show you , thats really why I want to meet , so you can see it rather than try understand the words that I typo

Thats my point, the terms dont cover the SLT technical positions of the elbows that coincide with our tan sao "dispersing elbow" strike and our Jum sao "inward elbow" strike.

I will show you , thats really why I want to meet , so you can see it rather than try understand the words that I typo
    SLT doesn't cover elbow strikes, kicks, footwork, etc., but these things do exist in WC.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Jum sao I think you mean Chum Sao. Chum can mean to search/seek or sink. Chum/Jum sao is "sinking arm" not inward elbow strike. In fact the word elbow, Jang/Jeung isn't even including in the terms. That's like some people saying Tan Sao means palm up block.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr