Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bridging With a Striker?

Bridging With a Striker?

Is it possible to connect a bridge with a Muay Thai fighter or Boxer!!!!

If so what is purpose of establishing a bridge? How long can you use it?

Is bridging with a boxer a safe and good idea?
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post

Being a Muay Thai fighter or a Boxer does not really mean anything unless they are contenders for a title. A WC fighter is not likely to ever come up on another Wing Chun fighter anyway, and most people attempt to box you. Wing Chun is designed to fight these types of fighter. How else would you fight them with your Wing Chun? Stand and trade punches with them? Unless they were indeed contenders for a title of some sort you have as much chance of out punching them as they you. The average muay thai or boxer isn't any more to worry about than some other fighter.
    Of course you would attempt to bridge with them. That is what it is all about. That is what WC does. It only takes a second or 2 and it can be over with. You don't just pop him once or twice and retreat, you pop him and he will lose his ability to defend for a second or 2 and you just pound him good.
    Jackie Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Being a Muay Thai fighter or a Boxer does not really mean anything unless they are contenders for a title. A WC fighter is not likely to ever come up on another Wing Chun fighter anyway, and most people attempt to box you. Wing Chun is designed to fight these types of fighter. How else would you fight them with your Wing Chun? Stand and trade punches with them? Unless they were indeed contenders for a title of some sort you have as much chance of out punching them as they you. The average muay thai or boxer isn't any more to worry about than some other fighter.
    Of course you would attempt to bridge with them. That is what it is all about. That is what WC does. It only takes a second or 2 and it can be over with. You don't just pop him once or twice and retreat, you pop him and he will lose his ability to defend for a second or 2 and you just pound him good.
    ROTFLMAO!!

OK... can we have the next joke please

R

Blog Entries
    This should be a general TCMA question and not just a WC question.

To force a striker to play your grappling game, or to force a grappler to play your striking game is always a smart idea.

If you are a striker and if you can use your bridge to force your opponent's leading arm to jam his back arm, you still have one free arm to strike but both of your opponent's arms are not free, you will still have great advantage even if your opponent is also a striker.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-06-2011 at 03:03 AM.

good post...

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This should be a general TCMA question and not just a WC question.

To force a striker to play your grappling game, or to force a grappler to play your striking game is always a smart idea.

If you are a striker and if you can use your bridge to force your opponent's leading arm to jam his back arm, you still have one free arm to strike but both of your opponent's arms are not free, you will still have great advantage even if your opponent is also a striker.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A strange question! Anytime you connect-you have a bridge. How, when, how long-- depends on your game and your reading of your opponent.

Is there any video of Wing Chun or other Kung Fu systems useing Bridging in a real street fight against thaiboxing , boxing , streetfighters ,Thugs attacking someone ?

Quote Originally Posted by R View Post
    ROTFLMAO!!

OK... can we have the next joke please

R
    I am guessing you are a very young and inexperienced person if you find it that funny. I have learned this from experience, so feel I know what I am talking about here.
    Jackie Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Firehawk4 View Post
    Is there any video of Wing Chun or other Kung Fu systems useing Bridging in a real street fight against thaiboxing , boxing , streetfighters ,Thugs attacking someone ?

Probably not. You see, MMA fights are done in front of a camera most times, where street or bar room fighting is spontanious and most people would rather a camera not be looking at them anyway. If you went off looking for a fight I would gamble you would not run up on anyone that is a muay thai fighter or a decent boxer. Out of probably about 200 confrontations over about 30 years I have not met one boxer that was worth a flip and no muay thai fighers at all. A few that had a limited experience with karate maybe, and a little of this and a little of that, but I have yet to find anyone that was a real professional fighter. That is not to say however that there were many of them that would beat the hell out of you anyway. It is just silly to imagine that a person, simply because he has had a bit of boxing training or a bit of muay thai training is going to be hell to beat. Not so. As I have said before, the majority of people that will fight with you are going to attempt to box you. It is only natural. Not everyone that boxes is a champion.
    Jackie Lee

laughable?

I appreciate your experiences but I am sorry mine are different.

I roomed with one of those easily beatable boxers and tbh most of the time I would think a person should not take someone who had done a reasonable bit of training (not a contender.. just trained) lightly. They train to reflexively hit with power from any position, take a hit without getting flustered and are often in better condition than the average martial artist.

The few times I saw someone pick a fight someone who actually trained in boxing the challenger usually was beaten relatively easily. Heck I even remember someone trying it on in the loo with my mate whom they had taken exception to. He turned around and floored the guy while still ****ing mid-stream. That is focusing on the fight in a way few others are likely to do.

If you are trying to suggest that WC or similar arts will easily beat boxers then I suggest that you take some guys down to a local gym and have a go. I think that you will be unpleasantly surprised.

How did you know the guys you had all these experiences with were really boxers or thai boxers anyways? Most real fights don't start with introductions so is this just what you have concluded from the way they fought?

Oh and we are almost the same age. Not sure you can pull ''I'm older and know better'' as an argument with me.

FWIW

R

Oooft, can't believe you wrote that, it's so full of wrongness that it made the Baby Jesus cry.

Best advice, spar with a MT or Boxer, and post the results on Youtube.

. . .Out of probably about 200 confrontations over about 30 years I have not met one boxer that was worth a flip . . . .
    I'll be taking your posts less seriously from now on.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    I'll be taking your posts less seriously from now on.
    is that possible

If you're not going to bridge what are you going to do? call him names? Throw things at him? Maybe its a difference in our interpretation of to bridge, but to my mind any contact is a bridge. If my fist makes contact with a face I have a bridge. If my foot makes contact with a knee I have a bridge. Hell even shoulder to shoulder is a bridge. If you aren't making contact then you aren't fighting. So other than running away rapidly (which is often the wisest course of action and one has to assume unavailable as an option) there is no option but to bridge in some way.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Probably not. You see, MMA fights are done in front of a camera most times, where street or bar room fighting is spontanious and most people would rather a camera not be looking at them anyway. If you went off looking for a fight I would gamble you would not run up on anyone that is a muay thai fighter or a decent boxer. Out of probably about 200 confrontations over about 30 years I have not met one boxer that was worth a flip and no muay thai fighers at all. A few that had a limited experience with karate maybe, and a little of this and a little of that, but I have yet to find anyone that was a real professional fighter. That is not to say however that there were many of them that would beat the hell out of you anyway. It is just silly to imagine that a person, simply because he has had a bit of boxing training or a bit of muay thai training is going to be hell to beat. Not so. As I have said before, the majority of people that will fight with you are going to attempt to box you. It is only natural. Not everyone that boxes is a champion.
    Whilst I appreciate your point that it is unlikely in the street to be attacked by someone with a very high level of skill in either boxing or MT it could happen and there are enough average joe boxers and kick boxers out there who like a pint or two followed by a scrap to prove how hard they are. To be dismissive of any style is asking for trouble especially those styles who routinely test themselves in full contact sparring and dare I say it attract more than their fair share of society's naturally aggressive fighters. I also sympathise with the view that just because someone has been to the boxing gym a few times it doesn't make them a dangerous fighter as there are enough people out there who claim to box who actually just flail their arms around, but for the purposes of this thread I think the assumption was that the opponent is profficient in either discipline.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook