Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bridging With a Striker?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    any contact is a bridge.
    Agree 100% there. None TCMA guys may ask, "What's the usage for bridge?"

When your

- leg touches your opponent's leg, you can sense your opponent's leg intention.
    - arm touches your opponent's arm, you can sense your opponent's arm intention.
    - chest touches your opponent's chest, you can sense your opponent's heart beat.
    - lips touches your opponent's lips, you can sense your opponent's love.

TCMA guys like to call this Tinjing. None TCMA guy may call this whatever that they like. It's just as simple as to touch your hand on your girl's body. How hard can that be?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-09-2011 at 08:23 PM.

Thanks for sharing...thats very interesting and enlighting!!!

If you're not going to bridge what are you going to do? call him names? Throw things at him? Maybe its a difference in our interpretation of to bridge, but to my mind any contact is a bridge. If my fist makes contact with a face I have a bridge. If my foot makes contact with a knee I have a bridge. Hell even shoulder to shoulder is a bridge. If you aren't making contact then you aren't fighting. So other than running away rapidly (which is often the wisest course of action and one has to assume unavailable as an option) there is no option but to bridge in some way.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

If you're not going to bridge what are you going to do? call him names? Throw things at him? Maybe its a difference in our interpretation of to bridge, but to my mind any contact is a bridge. If my fist makes contact with a face I have a bridge. If my foot makes contact with a knee I have a bridge. Hell even shoulder to shoulder is a bridge. If you aren't making contact then you aren't fighting. So other than running away rapidly (which is often the wisest course of action and one has to assume unavailable as an option) there is no option but to bridge in some way.
    Perhaps there is a distinction between a bridge and a strike. There are old sayings that amount to things like make a bridge, cross it or let him create a bridge then smash it..

So I would interpret bridging as the attempt to engage an opponent to allow me to move to striking or applying chin na or whatever else one might want to do.

Certainly if things are ''bridges'' they must be ways of allowing you to bridge the gap and make contact with the opponent. Yes any contact is a bridge of sorts but this isn't quite what I would take as the meaning of the term in TCMA. Just my take on it. A strike is only a bridge if it is being used to set up another technique and not as an end of things in itself. E.G. one wants an opponent to tie up his hands. If you throw a strike and the person grabs your wrist and then you grab his other hand as it moves forward then the first strike is a bridge that allows the hands to be locked and creates an opening for you to continue with your attack. If on the other hand you punch with the intent to knock him down and it works then you aren't really using the punch as a bridge but really as an end purpose itself.

Does this make any sense? What do you think of this interpretation?

R
    Last edited by R; 11-07-2011 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A strange question! Anytime you connect-you have a bridge. How, when, how long-- depends on your game and your reading of your opponent.
    I like your post...Very True indeed.

There is much wisdom in what you say.

it all depends on how skilled you are. An how skilled your opponent is
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

The other day someone called me a "Stand-up shooter." In a way, he was kind of right. It's like shooting for the opponent's elbows, instead of knees/legs.

Break it down. Simplify.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Of course you would attempt to bridge with them. That is what it is all about. That is what WC does.
    I tend to disagree. Focus on hitting someone, and you will get just that, hitting him. Focus on bridging and you will get just that too. But your purpose is not to hit him or bridge him. The purpose is to annihalate him. Bridging and/or hitting is just tools for the job.

Mentally, focus on your purpose. Your habits and attribute will carry you through. The rest will fall into place.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    I tend to disagree. Focus on hitting someone, and you will get just that, hitting him. Focus on bridging and you will get just that too. But your purpose is not to hit him or bridge him. The purpose is to annihalate him. Bridging and/or hitting is just tools for the job.

Mentally, focus on your purpose. Your habits and attribute will carry you through. The rest will fall into place.
    This is awesome.

----------

On another note, it's interesting to see people coming back to, "How would Chun deal with boxing, Muay Thai?"

Why are a lot of us nervous about this? I feel that if we look to the heart of that matter, everything gets better.

I can't sit here all day and chat with my 'peers' on how to deal with these types of attackers. Instead, I have to talk, drill and spar with these types of attackers.

It's the simplest solution, but perhaps because it's such a personal one, it's the hardest road to travel. Perhaps in some of our heads we think, "How can I beat a boxer, while sitting here on the internet and without getting hit?" Negative feedback works and it works well.

After the personal journey has begun, it's like the sky opens up and the sun starts shining.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

good post...each fighter is different...the best way to learn is by fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by couch View Post
    This is awesome.

----------

On another note, it's interesting to see people coming back to, "How would Chun deal with boxing, Muay Thai?"

Why are a lot of us nervous about this? I feel that if we look to the heart of that matter, everything gets better.

I can't sit here all day and chat with my 'peers' on how to deal with these types of attackers. Instead, I have to talk, drill and spar with these types of attackers.

It's the simplest solution, but perhaps because it's such a personal one, it's the hardest road to travel. Perhaps in some of our heads we think, "How can I beat a boxer, while sitting here on the internet and without getting hit?" Negative feedback works and it works well.

After the personal journey has begun, it's like the sky opens up and the sun starts shining.

Bridging With a Striker

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Is it possible to connect a bridge with a Muay Thai fighter or Boxer!!!!

If so what is purpose of establishing a bridge? How long can you use it?

Is bridging with a boxer a safe and good idea?
    Yoshiyahu , yes , it ' s possible , if I was fighting a muay thai guy he ' s probably going to be throwing a elbow or any type of punches at me , anyway , anytime you make contact with your opponents' leading hand with your leading hand that ' s what they call a bridge right there . Depending on how you want to stop your opponents' attack . I would simply waste no time the minute he throws a straight right at my face area , I would simply use a left cross pak sao and a right punch to his face area . While I ' m doing a technique on him , I would follow up with 2 more techniques to finnish him off .

Bridge is simply to close the opening or gap between you and your opponent , because if you don ' t bridge or close that gap you simply going be facing your opponent and this will go on and on . Unless one of you really decides to close the gap on your opponent and it ' s done with already . It ' s either you or your opponent who can close that gap it can be used anytime . The boxer going be punching and trying to knock you to the ground , so when you have a good chance close the gap and finnish the opponent off . Since WC uses simultaneous defense and attack theory the WC person has the advantage over the boxer .
    Unless the boxer decides to really move around and make it harder for the WC man to bridge the gap on him .

great post i love what i wrote you too!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    Yoshiyahu , yes , it ' s possible , if I was fighting a muay thai guy he ' s probably going to be throwing a elbow or any type of punches at me , anyway , anytime you make contact with your opponents' leading hand with your leading hand that ' s what they call a bridge right there . Depending on how you want to stop your opponents' attack . I would simply waste no time the minute he throws a straight right at my face area , I would simply use a left cross pak sao and a right punch to his face area . While I ' m doing a technique on him , I would follow up with 2 more techniques to finnish him off .

Bridge is simply to close the opening or gap between you and your opponent , because if you don ' t bridge or close that gap you simply going be facing your opponent and this will go on and on . Unless one of you really decides to close the gap on your opponent and it ' s done with already . It ' s either you or your opponent who can close that gap it can be used anytime . The boxer going be punching and trying to knock you to the ground , so when you have a good chance close the gap and finnish the opponent off . Since WC uses simultaneous defense and attack theory the WC person has the advantage over the boxer .
    Unless the boxer decides to really move around and make it harder for the WC man to bridge the gap on him .