Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Chinese Military Kung Fu

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    I'm not sure this is a fair assessment especially when it's compared to other military combatives.
    First, the video you posted has to do with combat methods from nearly a hundred years ago, and has since evolved. Secondly, I'd rather do the Army's combatives from early 1900's then do what HW108 posted, if I had to make such a silly choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Fa Xing View Post
    It's sad and funny, because it's probably true.

A lot of the guys footwork in those forms were terrible, clearly leaving the groin open and other vital areas you would not see so exposed in a Military training program.

FWIW, it looks pretty.
    I didn't even think it looked pretty.

Apparently, sometimes all you have to do is speak Chinese and do "swoosh-swoosh" moves while wearing a Chinese uniform, against what might as well be a mannequin, and you end up duping all the white folks who love Jackie Chan movies.

I prefer US Army combatives. Introduced to resisting opponents early on, adding slaps early in the game just to show you where you'd get knocked upside the head. They do start with the ground game, but the higher levels are very stand-up intensive.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    I didn't even think it looked pretty.

Apparently, sometimes all you have to do is speak Chinese and do "swoosh-swoosh" moves while wearing a Chinese uniform, against what might as well be a mannequin, and you end up duping all the white folks who love Jackie Chan movies.

I prefer US Army combatives. Introduced to resisting opponents early on, adding slaps early in the game just to show you where you'd get knocked upside the head. They do start with the ground game, but the higher levels are very stand-up intensive.
    Sounds good to me, my brother is going into the Army in January, and I'm trying to encourage him to study combatives so that he can show me what he learns.

i forget what episode of deadliest warrior but there was an army ranger in that episode and the hand to hand system (forget its name, maybe drake can tell us) they used is 2legit2quit.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

We use a huge mish mash of stuff. It's all lumped into the "Modern Army Combatives" title...
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

i'll need to find that episode on netflix, the ranger gave it some name.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    i'll need to find that episode on netflix, the ranger gave it some name.
    Are you talking about the Fairbairn-Sykes methods?

Modern army combatives have a lot of GJJ in the manual, because that's who helped develop the manual. lol

Here's the combatives manual. I think this is in use now since US mil adopted GJJ as their foundation. http://www.selfdefenseresource.com/c...m-3-25.150.php

Is that wrong Drake?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

its funny but as soon as this cip was posted you could probably say which posters would like it and think it was good, and which would call it something else

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    its funny but as soon as this cip was posted you could probably say which posters would like it and think it was good, and which would call it something else
    I felt the same way, but I didin't want to be "that guy"
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Are you talking about the Fairbairn-Sykes methods?

Modern army combatives have a lot of GJJ in the manual, because that's who helped develop the manual. lol

Here's the combatives manual. I think this is in use now since US mil adopted GJJ as their foundation. http://www.selfdefenseresource.com/c...m-3-25.150.php

Is that wrong Drake?
    Nope, that's true. GJJ had a pretty significant impact on modern combatives.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

Chinese Military Wushu

You read that right. Actually it's sanda, which a lot of westerners fail to categorize as wushu. Nice photo ops at least.

30 wushu masters join PLA Marine Corps
    (China Military Online) 10:04, December 21, 2012

30 newly-recruited members of the Marine Corps under the Navy of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) became beautiful scenery on their way to Zhanjiang of south China's Guangdong province on the morning of December 19, 2012, because all of them are wushu (Chinese martial arts) masters and some of them were even world champions.

Yan Kangli, 20 years old, was a world Sanshou (free sparring) champion. He was admitted to a wushu school at the age of 16. During the Wushu Sanshou Championship of the 9th Hong Kong Wushu International Championship, he won 6 matches successively against top Sanshou practitioners from 16 countries and was finally awarded the first place of Male 60kg Sanshou.

He Mingjun, 24 years old, was a wushu coach. He was obsessed with military affairs. He won the championship of Male 56kg Sanshou of central China’s Henan province.

Zhu Hongzhen was born into a wushu family. He began to practice wushu after his father when he was five years old. He won many championships in Chinese boxing, swordsmanship and pair exercise, etc.

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Blog Entries
    Don't be fooled by those clips. In military, police force, president body guard, ... you won't be able to find any good fighter. A friend of mine is teaching the president body guard in Taiwan. He told me that his students are more interesting in drinking with him than training with him. I taught the police department before. Those cops were so out of shape that I could out run any of them.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Slightly OT...

Afghan troops using 'Wushu Shaolin'

Physical fitness an important part of Afghan army training
    Story by Sgt. Aaron RiccaSmall RSS IconSubscriptions Icon Subscribe To This Journalist

PAKTYA PROVINCE, Afghanistan — Despite an icy breeze blowing across a dirt field, Afghan linguists squared off against Afghan National Army soldiers in a season-ending championship game of cricket, an Afghan pastime. A few weeks later, a post-duty day soccer match took place on the same -and recently snow covered- field.

At a gym a few blocks away, a group of about 20 enlisted ANA soldiers take turns practicing jump kicks during a martial arts class, while other troops lift weights and jump rope.

“We encourage soldiers to exercise in different ways according to their interests,” said 203rd Thunder Corps Garrison ANA Sgt. Maj. Sheengul Saadat.

Running, wrestling, weightlifting, soccer and cricket are some of the choices soldiers at the Afghan National Army’s 203rd Thunder Corps Headquarters on Forward Operating Base Thunder, have when it comes to staying in peak mental and physical shape.

“Every Wednesday, we gather our company and platoon sergeants in a meeting for physical training and sports,” Saadat said.

The ANA physical training program at FOB Thunder isn’t as structured or developed as an American fitness program. Depending on the facilities and equipment available to the brigades, PT programs are only as successful as the soldiers who help develop and participate in the activities.

In order to make sure his soldiers are satisfied with the options, Saadat oversees the program and on a daily basis, asks which soldiers are interested in both teaching and participating in a sport.

“I see soldiers who are interested and introduce them to a coach,” Saadat said. “We are helping them 100 percent.”

ANA Master Sgt. Mustafa Mushtaq is the noncommissioned officer in charge of the physical fitness program. He organizes most of the sports while also trying his best to procure uniforms and equipment.

“I have a special interest in sports and I accepted this position,” said Mushtaq, a seven- year ANA veteran, who previously served as a teacher at the Afghan Ministry of Education.

Standards throughout the entire ANA have not been clearly defined, and the regional commands have different stages of implementing and developing routines for their soldiers. Funding for uniforms and equipment has been a challenge. Logistical issues like weather and operational requirements also hinder the effectiveness of the program.

“We can follow nearly half of the standards,” Mushtaq said. “In the future, we will try to follow them 100 percent.”

Like their American counterparts, Afghan troops are required to do what’s necessary to be combat effective and are willing to do whatever it takes to make the best of their situation.

ANA 2nd Lt. Abdul Wahid Janbez, deputy of information officer at the corps communication branch, started teaching Wushu Shaolin, a Chinese martial art more commonly known as Kung Fu, to ANA soldiers four months ago.

“The motive I had to start this class was because it is very useful to our personnel,” he said.

Janbaz has been practicing Wushu for 13 years. He has competed in numerous championship matches, with a large list of achievements under his belts. Due to lack of funding, he paid for uniforms, gloves and punching bags himself.

“We are in extraordinary circumstances,” he said. “Every soldier should be in peak physical shape, regardless if they are in the infantry or in an administrative job.”

His students are appreciative of the effort.

“It prepares us to do our duty 24-hours a day in a proper way,” said ANA Sgt. Hesamuden Sharifi, one of nearly 40 Wushu students. ”It is also very useful for my physical and mental health.”

The 203rd Corps keeps close ties with the Ministry of Defense and the other corps to compare development of different fitness programs around the country.

“These programs are based off of corps leadership,” Mushtag said. “We have communication and we have the same ideas based on the ministries’ plan.”

Every 15 days, Saadat meets with the platoon and company level sergeants and the coaches from various sporting activities to gauge the progress of the Soldiers throughout the program. In some cases, the Soldiers are required to take a diagnostic exam that is supervised by the senior noncommissioned officers and coaches. Test or not, the soldiers are glad they have the opportunities.

“Our soldiers enjoy the sports, especially Wushu,” Saadat said. “When I go to the gym, I can observe the healthy and athletic soldiers. When we give them the duty to accomplish, they do not make any excuses why they can’t do their jobs. To them, health is happiness.”

For the morning PT formations—much like their American counterparts—the ANA soldiers wake up early. One major difference is that the predominantly Muslim ANA troops are allotted time for ablution, the period of washing hands, feet and face before the ten minute prayer time. The morning formation includes a brief preventative health message. Troops are urged to avoid tobacco, alcohol and hashish, one of the more prevalent substances abused by ANA soldiers.

“We always explain to the soldiers in the morning formation to avoid using narcotics,” Saadat said. “Especially hashish.”

Following the formalities is one hour of exercise, about another hour to shower and eat breakfast, and then the workday begins. Later in the afternoon, many of the soldiers return to the gym, soccer field or attend the Wushu class, where they can work out at their own pace.

Soldiers from the brigades outside of corps headquarters do not have the same opportunities for exercise.

“I am living with an infantry kandak (battalion),” said ANA Sgt. Nasratullah Khaksar, regarding the transient nature of his unit. Khaksar is from 1st Kandak, 203rd Thunder Corps and temporarily training at FOB Thunder. “We do not have taekwondo, sport equipment or a recreation room.”

“When we do not have these facilities, it has a bad effect on our personnel,” said 1st Lt. Esmatullah Azizi, 1st Brigade Liaison Officer at the 203rd Thunder Corps Headquarters. “When we have these facilities, soldiers spend time here and away from narcotics.”

The availability of these facilities is a positive asset to the base.

“When the gyms and recreation room opened, nearly 80 percent of the base started coming to these facilities,” Azizi said.

At the end of the duty day, troops fall back to a recreation room to play foosball, snooker and Ping-Pong. The hall is a place for everyone to let loose, chat, and clear their heads of the days tasks.

“In our free time, we come to the recreation room to keep our minds normal while we are away from our families,” said Khaksar. “We are putting our minds at comfort here.”
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by Fa Xing View Post
    First, the video you posted has to do with combat methods from nearly a hundred years ago, and has since evolved. Secondly, I'd rather do the Army's combatives from early 1900's then do what HW108 posted, if I had to make such a silly choice.
    Like this one? U.S. Army's Basic Hand To Hand Fighting of World War 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga4zLsMmkE0

Combat: "Kill Or Be Killed" 1943 War Department World War II US Army Training
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4_VqgqBk7E

Because it looks pretty similar if you ask me...lol
    Last edited by pateticorecords; 01-08-2013 at 10:53 AM.
    Tom
    Integrated Kung Fu Academy
    Kung Fu - Kickboxing - MMA -Self Defense
    Media, PA -Delaware County

My nephew did some boxing training at Air Force Academy. It was stripped down compared to his kungfu training.

He was trained to attack from any position and used left lead and right lead interchangeably. But they wouldn't let him do that when he boxed. Only left lead. Also didn't allow simultaneous parry and attack. Only coverup, then attack.

People telegraphed like crazy too.