Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Chinese Military Kung Fu

Thumbs up Excellent

Real nice, thank you.

The Military and the Police are the correct places to find true Martial Arts.

Strong Kung Fu, well performed.
    Visit the past in order to discover something new.

[url]http://wahquekungfu.proboards100.com

It's just forms and compliant partner drills. Obvious Larpers. If the Chinese Military Police are so good, why aren't they winning in the mma?

I was doing that kind of thing in a police uniform 36 years ago. It looked even funnier in those silly big hats we had to wear in the UK police, and funnier still as none of my mates on the job had a clue what I was doing. The advice we were given about street fighting was "Grab his bollocks and hang on till he gives up". I did actually did take that advice and in court the yob in question pointed at me and said "That ******* grabbed me sack!" I'd kicked him in it first, and then grabbed it before running him into the ground. Then I was kicked in the head, my radio and handcuffs were snatched and all hell broke loose. First of many, many times...

Quote Originally Posted by Indrafist View Post
    I actually did take that advice and in court the yob in question pointed at me and said "That ******* grabbed me sack!" I'd kicked him in it first, and then grabbed it before running him into the ground. Then I was kicked in the head, my radio and handcuffs were snatched and all hell broke loose. First of many, many times...
    A little bit of "meat" softenning is always recommended before a viscious grab - it is kind of like cooking......

Just as a point on law enforcement and sport fighting. I totally lacked the motivaton to get involved with competition martial arts, at any time, in my police career - which ran from the ages of 18 to 30. It (sport fighting) is a valid pressure testing medium, but, it isn't the only one. Neither, for that matter (of course) is the police. I didn't however, lack the motivation to test myself across the board. physicall, mentally, emotionally, ethically and morally as a young rookie cop. The point should be, that we should choose our pressure testing environment, and then go at it, according to whatever 'rules' or tolerances operate. The main thing, surely, is to test yourself, and that doesn't have to be athletic competition. If I've learned one thing in the 45 years I've been training, it's that the martial arts don't so much change people, as act as a medium to express who and what they are. If someone has psychopathic tendencies, then it'll likely just amplify them. If they have religious inclinations, then likewise too.
    I would never have made a combat sports athlete - whether I'd gone into the police or not. Point is, I was inclined to do just that, and that became where I was tested - at least in my youth. Later, I found other areas of life within which I'd be tested, and I'd be found wanting in those too. The journey was far from over, I was still a work in progress, and this was (and is) reflected in my martial arts today. One last thing, about 'form' etc and real sudden out of the blue fight for your life struggling. I never expected the abstraction of form to translate across point for point (isomorphically) it never ocurred to me that it did or should. A fight breaks everything down (the best laid plains of form and intention) - but - one of the many values of forms training, if you know how, is how to maintain a high standard of structural integrity under extreme pressure. If your 'form' is crap, then it'll collapse under the adrenalin and pain of sudden violence. If its pretty good, then it might just degrade a little less, and give you some time to survive those vital first few seconds, and fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by Indrafist View Post
    Just as a point on law enforcement and sport fighting. I totally lacked the motivaton to get involved with competition martial arts, at any time, in my police career - which ran from the ages of 18 to 30. It (sport fighting) is a valid pressure testing medium, but, it isn't the only one. Neither, for that matter (of course) is the police. I didn't however, lack the motivation to test myself across the board. physicall, mentally, emotionally, ethically and morally as a young rookie cop. The point should be, that we should choose our pressure testing environment, and then go at it, according to whatever 'rules' or tolerances operate. The main thing, surely, is to test yourself, and that doesn't have to be athletic competition. If I've learned one thing in the 45 years I've been training, it's that the martial arts don't so much change people, as act as a medium to express who and what they are. If someone has psychopathic tendencies, then it'll likely just amplify them. If they have religious inclinations, then likewise too.
    I would never have made a combat sports athlete - whether I'd gone into the police or not. Point is, I was inclined to do just that, and that became where I was tested - at least in my youth. Later, I found other areas of life within which I'd be tested, and I'd be found wanting in those too. The journey was far from over, I was still a work in progress, and this was (and is) reflected in my martial arts today. One last thing, about 'form' etc and real sudden out of the blue fight for your life struggling. I never expected the abstraction of form to translate across point for point (isomorphically) it never ocurred to me that it did or should. A fight breaks everything down (the best laid plains of form and intention) - but - one of the many values of forms training, if you know how, is how to maintain a high standard of structural integrity under extreme pressure. If your 'form' is crap, then it'll collapse under the adrenalin and pain of sudden violence. If its pretty good, then it might just degrade a little less, and give you some time to survive those vital first few seconds, and fight back.
    Really well stated.

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Ever been there? To any of these countries? Know anyone from there? How many Afghans do you know? Speak Pashto? Dari?
    Makes little difference. I think you know what he's getting at. This was about a Chinese military unit training some very practical kung fu - not about the morals and ethics of various world military units - LIBRARIES could be filled on that sh**, from every time in history to every country in the world. It doesn't in any way shape or form address their tactical training. Sheesh...
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    This is an interesting Video Clip of Chinese Military Kung Fu applications. The video's title describes this as "Arrest Boxing", but it looks more like "Meet your maker boxing", as some of the techniques look pretty lethal.

Notice that even what is presumably a functionally oriented military force, is using kung fu forms in its training methodology.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuhGa...eature=related

It looks very Shaolin, although IMO with a much greater emphasis on displaying the power in the moves.

That was pathetic and weak.
    FYI: the chinese military and police train the military and poilice version of sanshou, which as we know is a combination of TCMA with MT, western boxing and BJJ.
    What this video showed were unrealistic and ineffective techniques to be used in unrealitic situations VS untrained people.
    Having seen how the chinese police and military ACTUALLY train, I cna say that THIS is not it,
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Haha sr just call out Chinese military! Wtfpwnd
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

this is one of those dvd scams trying to sell chinese nerds "elite military kung fu"

i have one called "commando taekwondo"

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    this is one of those dvd scams trying to sell chinese nerds "elite military kung fu"

i have one called "commando taekwondo"
    It's sad and funny, because it's probably true.

A lot of the guys footwork in those forms were terrible, clearly leaving the groin open and other vital areas you would not see so exposed in a Military training program.

FWIW, it looks pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    That was pathetic and weak.
    FYI: the chinese military and police train the military and poilice version of sanshou, which as we know is a combination of TCMA with MT, western boxing and BJJ.
    What this video showed were unrealistic and ineffective techniques to be used in unrealitic situations VS untrained people.
    Having seen how the chinese police and military ACTUALLY train, I cna say that THIS is not it,
    I'm not sure this is a fair assessment especially when it's compared to other military combatives.

H2H?

Police could use it. Military?

the military in 50 years will be ex-gamers flying drones and running robots into villages and wiping them out....

H2H will be unknown to military training by then.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    H2H?

Police could use it. Military?

the military in 50 years will be ex-gamers flying drones and running robots into villages and wiping them out....

H2H will be unknown to military training by then.
    No, because robots will become self aware and take over much sooner than 50 years