Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Chinese Military Kung Fu

The Marine Corps Martial Arts Program is an attempt to codify pervious learnings from applicable systems into a cohesive body of knowledge.

WARNING
    Keep in mind that Marines DO NOT LEARN this and then go out weaponless onto the battlefield. It is one part of all round training +PFT and general conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Afghan troops using 'Wushu Shaolin'
    This doesn't surprise me at all. Remember Ehsan Shafiq? The Afghan Shaolin fighter.
    Last edited by MightyB; 01-10-2013 at 07:36 AM.

Now here's a cop that could use some kung fu training...or a treadmill...or to just lay off the donuts for a year.

sadly...I can find dozens of examples of this sort of fitness level in western police organizations.

standards are important.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Is that Carl Winslow?

More PLA wushu marines

I had to c&p all of these. They are too precious.
    Wushu masters' life in PLA Marine Corps
    peopledaily.com.cn | 2013-1-5 16:21:43
    By Agencies

The photo shows the life of 30 Wushu masters in barrack as the newly-recruited members of the Marine Corps under the Navy of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA). Photo: navy.81.cn
    Love that drunken style!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Now here's a cop that could use some kung fu training...or a treadmill...or to just lay off the donuts for a year.

sadly...I can find dozens of examples of this sort of fitness level in western police organizations.

standards are important.
    That guy would be so screwed in a real fight or any sort of endurance situation. A foot chase is just out of the question.

This is unacceptable in ANY able bodied human. If it's an injury, you have some excuse. But most are injured cause they are fat and outta shape, not the other way around. We should not reward this with blanket acceptance. It's wrong and it hurts the species as a whole.

Yes I said it. Obese people with no reasonable excuse are weakening the species. Even if you can move well now. You are fucked later. And then you pass that shit on yo your kids genetically and behaviourally. It's weak and sad. Not to say I am mean to obese people. I just really don't approve. Not that they really care. If they don't care enough to help themselves, then why care what anyone else thinks about it.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    This doesn't surprise me at all. Remember Ehsan Shafiq? The Afghan Shaolin fighter.
    I like that guy...he's not afraid to throw some cool moves in a fight. You can say what you want about the opponents he fought, but he was doing full contact in places where there probably wasn't a lot of people doing it, at times when there probably wasn't a lot of options for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    We use a huge mish mash of stuff. It's all lumped into the "Modern Army Combatives" title...
    I've seen a lot of great military combatives. I've seen a few I question tho. Remember Defendu. Some of that stuff was ridiculous.

Afghan troops using 'Wushu Shaolin'
    There is a wrestling tradition among the Uzbek and Hazara and some Tajik groups. I observed a few of them play wrestling while on lunch break doing crossing gusrad duty in Afghanistan. Even the Turks have a strong traditional game with the other steppe peoples.

theres no such thing as military kung fu. ALL kung fu came from the military.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

wacky bawang reasoning

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    That's the same as saying 'theres no such thing as chicken and egg. ALL chicken came from the egg.' And all kung fu didn't come from military origins. In fact, kung fu has the least military influence of almost any major Asian martial art. IMO, the most interesting kung fu is coming out of the folk styles.

BTW, been meaning to link this archived thread to here: Chinese Military Kung Fu Sets
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    Hmmmn.

Kung Fu is spawned by the necessity of universal reality.
    It is a requirement here in this world to be a complete being.

Kung Fu is not just fighting but cultivating an aware being.
    If you want to just fight, that's fine, but it is only one aspect of Kung Fu overall.

FWIW, there were people outside of military organizations that organized defensive fighting and offensive fighting training and techniques that were later adopted by the military. For instance, Karate. adopted by the US air force in 1954!

Song dynasty seems to have a lot of records of non military kung fu being practiced around China.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Yeah, I believe that many styles came about by intelligent people that had a need for exercise and/or defense. Living in the boons means having to fend for yourself sometimes. It's just common sense that individuals and local civilian village militias would create their own styles. Some based on earlier style that may or may not have military origins and some pretty much made up. Trial and error.

I also believe that some styles would have been created in direct response to military aggression to civilian populations.
    Last edited by Syn7; 01-14-2013 at 06:55 PM.

That's the same as saying 'theres no such thing as chicken and egg. ALL chicken came from the egg.' And all kung fu didn't come from military origins. In fact, kung fu has the least military influence of almost any major Asian martial art. IMO, the most interesting kung fu is coming out of the folk styles.

BTW, been meaning to link this archived thread to here: Chinese Military Kung Fu Sets
    ALL chickens came from the egg.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    I also believe that some styles would have been created in direct response to military aggression to civilian populations.
    the ancient chinese military spawned the militia system. over time the militia styles became the folk styles. every few decades during war the military strips the fancy parts away from the folk styles to train for combat again.

over time northern kung fu forms have become modular. fancy movements are marked in teachings and manuals, and degree of exaggeration is separated into big and small frames.
    Last edited by bawang; 01-14-2013 at 07:18 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

I am aware that what is known, per the nomenclature of 'Chinese military kungfu' is gleamed from bajiquan, shuaijiao and hsingi (hsingyi). It follows the same progression of US Military Combatives, where select training elements (grappling) coupled with striking, BJJ inclusion and jujitsu, form the syntheses of these arts.
    Each man bring his own level of experience and conditioning to the programme.

Since I am more familiar with MCMAP (Marine Corps Martial Arts Program) I will add the below: When I was in, it was not as 'standarzided as it is now. There are even belt levels for levels of proficiency!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOunJJm-0vc

This is soemwhat theatrical, at least for me) but it gives basic stuff
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOedpqdj0gI

HumanWeapon Segment