Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Eight Kicks of Wing Chun

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    personally I love chi gerk. It is a drill and when you really start working the legs as part of the arsenal its purpose becomes abundantly clear. The ability to flow from tan gerk or bong gerk into a kick to the supporting leg only comes from practice. The same thing can of course be trained other ways but it makes me smile when people dismiss chi gerk.
    I trained chi gerk for years when I was in the Ip Chun lineage. I left....you do the math.

GH

Quote Originally Posted by couch View Post
    I personally see value in Chi Gerk as well. The way I was taught it and the way I practice it has helped me ingrain the maxim, "Hand blocks hand, foot blocks foot; there is no unstoppable technique."

Chi Gerk, when done correctly wires the brain so that when an opponent lifts their leg to kick, I do too (among a couple of other things depending on lineage).

Chi Gerk also helps to program 'taking' the centre when the foot is placed down on the floor.
    IMO................more wing chun nonsense.

GH

I would say their are two kicks, one with the toes pointed in and one with the toes pointing out. How you use them are varied. I only tend to use them when I can't get in range and while I am attacking with them the idea is more as a block to their low kicks until I van get in. Or to slow people down or just to get them looking for the kick.
    I don't use the real close stuff when with shooters or mma guys as it increases the change if close like a clinch to get taken down.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Responding to a 'kick' by lifting yours is a bad habit....What do you lose by standing on one leg ? mobility.
    MT fighters the world over would beg to differ
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

We arent MT fighters We dont take/accept hits on the lead leg by a different way of thinking and standing. Why do you think we adopt a side stance in a face off and not a lead leg stance ?
    Or let me rephrase that, why do you think I dont stand in a lead leg stance facing a guy who does MT leg kicks or shoots for single leg take downs ?

You leave it out there and use it to do your chi-gerk mate, not my concern.
    Last edited by k gledhill; 11-11-2011 at 06:31 AM.

Man, Kev you play a hard game when you start describing what it is you DO do

So, with respect, read through your own post and see where I have switched words around because the way you approach your chisau training soould be the same way you approach your chigerk training.

Makes sense to me...

On the 'sticky leg' issue... dan chi-gerk is not to develop sensitivity or feeling, it is to introduce the knees as a means to combine both striking and deflecting ability on the outside gate and inside gate of the leading attacking leg. This is further to our fighting idea of man gerk ~ wu gerk ...as each leg cycles it has to have the capacity to maintain both attacking alignment to the center [1cm death] AND defensive gate protection to our centers.

Never are we encouraged to stick to and follow a leg, we do lat sao chit cheung drills to ensure when the foot is free it shoots forwards [knee centered] and hits.
    Catch my drift???

I will ask you one question, because you mention sacrificing your mobility by being on one leg.

How do you move dude??? How can you be mobile with both feet firmly on the floor?

I'm getting images of you sliding evenly across the room like a Vampire on a skateboard because you refuse to lift a foot off the ground to walk!!!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

MT fighters fight in a ring with a referees and rules. Ving Tsun has a different idea to MT so why make comparisons?

I have seen an MT fighter have a brawl outside a club. There wasn't much MT going on thats for sure.

Ving Tsun's idea is to render the opponent unable to continue by the quickest means. Neck punching and chopping, eye gouging and kicks to the groin are not allowed in the ring. These methods I would rely on to win the fight. Once you add restrictions, padding to your limbs and timed rounds you are taking away the things Ving Tsun utilizes.

I won't be standing on one leg trying to kick a guy to death. Maybe a kick to divert attention or bring the hands down but most of the time stopping him in his tracks. If that is not possible then run for your life. If you can't escape then a short stay in hospital may be on the cards.

..............in short don't make comparisons to MMA, MT, or any other style that has rules.

Leave the kick boxing wing chun to the kick boxers. LOL

GH

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Man, Kev you play a hard game when you start describing what it is you DO do

So, with respect, read through your own post and see where I have switched words around because the way you approach your chisau training soould be the same way you approach your chigerk training.

Makes sense to me...

Catch my drift???

I will ask you one question, because you mention sacrificing your mobility by being on one leg.

How do you move dude??? How can you be mobile with both feet firmly on the floor?

I'm getting images of you sliding evenly across the room like a Vampire on a skateboard because you refuse to lift a foot off the ground to walk!!!
    Whatever floats your boat, if you think I am going to change your thinking to make me happy forget it you do your sticky leg, sticky pole, sticky knife, sticky dummy.....center that knee infront of you in a lead leg stance and charge in with an eggbeater punch

Whatever floats your boat, if you think I am going to change your thinking to make me happy forget it you do your sticky leg, sticky pole, sticky knife, sticky dummy.....center that knee infront of you in a lead leg stance and charge in with an eggbeater punch
    Ah! Of course, I forgot I was an eggbeater

If you can't make any sense of your own words I can't change your thinking either! And BTW, you should know that I'm not trying to change your thinking.

You're a grown boy now and should be capable of that yourself...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Ah! Of course, I forgot I was an eggbeater

If you can't make any sense of your own words I can't change your thinking either! And BTW, you should know that I'm not trying to change your thinking.

You're a grown boy now and should be capable of that yourself...
    Waste of time....

Waste of time....
    I know you have dude!

You should be an expert at 'change' by now One more time aint gonna kill ya!!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

I know you have dude!

You should be an expert at 'change' by now One more time aint gonna kill ya!!
    You are clueless....

You are clueless....
    We can all throw the insults Kev, but as I'm trying to be more peaceful I will accept yours and move on happy
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    It's an english slng term for rubbishness!

I cringe at every Yoshi post.

Each to their own.

G
    when i posted about the eight kicks....why cringe...

Thats not even my opinion...Its a Qoute

I purposely qouted someone else so no one could talk sheesh!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

On the 'sticky leg' issue... dan chi-sao is not to develop sensitivity or feeling, it is to introduce the elbows as a means to combine both striking and deflecting ability on the outside gate and inside gate of the leading attacking arm...
    If you apply this logic to legs, the knee is analogous to the elbow. Good leg-work, by any name, should accomplish the same things you mentioned. The knee should protect your center, and wedge forward deflecting attacks to the inside and outside gates of your leading leg. Very simple and effective.

Never are we encouraged to stick to and follow an arm, we do lat sao chit cheung drills to ensure when the hand is free it shoots forwards [elbow centered] and hits... If the arm on being freed, follows the other partners arm its a MISTAKE we deliberately weed out with each other.
    Likewise, good leg-work should never follow or chase legs. Cover center, and shoot forward when the way is free.

As far as mobility goes, if you keep in mind the saying, "Every step a kick, and every kick a step", there is no reason to sacrifice mobility for kicking. Now if you try to play overly complicated chi-gherk games, that's another thing. In short, Kevin, I think we mostly agree... if that's possible coming from different WC branches. Hmmmm.
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/