Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: I will never understand China

tongue painting

What makes this worse is that the ink in traditional Chinese painting usually reeks. I can't imagine it tastes any better.

Artist has a taste for painting
    Updated: 2014-10-21 10:29 (chinadaily.com.cn)

Han Xiaoming takes the expression “a lick of paint” literally by using his tongue to produce works of art at a street booth in Hangzhou, East China's Zhejiang province, Oct 19, 2014. [Photo/IC]

Han Xiaoming takes the expression “a lick of paint” literally by using his tongue to produce works of art at a street booth in Hangzhou, East China's Zhejiang province, Oct 19, 2014. [Photo/IC]

The Chinese folk artist attracts a curious crowd as he works on his latest creation, Oct 19, 2014. [Photo/IC]

Artist Han displays an example of his work surrounded by interested onlookers, Oct 19, 2014. [Photo/IC]

Inquisitive youngsters take a closer look as Han coats his tongue with special ink before starting his latest work of art, Oct 19, 2014. [Photo/IC]
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Chinese not admitted. Staff excluded. IN CHINA!

Beijing store sparks racism row... by banning Chinese customers
    PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 26 November, 2014, 1:59pm
    UPDATED : Thursday, 27 November, 2014, 10:59am
    Andrea Chen andrea.chen@scmp.com

Sign reading “Chinese not admitted. Staff excluded” on a store in Beijing's Yabao Road has provoked outrage. Photo: Beijing Youth Daily

A clothing store in Beijing has sparked a bizarre race row by banning Chinese customers from the premises for being "too annoying".

The sign on the front door of the store on Yabao Road reading "Chinese not admitted - staff excluded" appeared more than a week ago, the Beijing Youth Daily reported yesterday after receiving complaints from residents.

"We didn't want to hang up the sign in the first place and lead people to think we Chinese look down upon ourselves. But some Chinese customers are too annoying," a salesperson told the paper, adding that the wholesale store mainly sells to foreigners.

The salesperson said the store had to pay a foreign customer US$5,000 last week to settle the theft of his wallet by a Chinese shopper.

"The surveillance camera footage showed a Chinese customer stole his wallet. But the foreign customer claimed that we [the shop and the Chinese customer] are a group of thieves. And Chinese women often try on lots of clothes but end up buying nothing," the salesperson added.

The sign, which is written in Chinese, was also aimed at preventing competitors from copying their designs, another salesperson said.

But mainland microbloggers were not impressed with the explanation, with many referring to a similar sign rumoured to have been at the entrance of Huangpu Park in the 1890s that said "No dogs or Chinese allowed". Although the park was indeed reserved for foreigners, there is no historical record the sign existed, but it nonetheless became a symbol of foreign repression on Chinese soil.

The story, carried by many influential mainland media outlets, became one of the most discussed topics yesterday, amassing more than a million views.

"Get out of China, please," many of the comments read.

Legal scholar Li Xiandong, of the China University of Political Science and Law, told the Beijing Youth Daily that while the sign was discriminatory, the mainland had not outlawed racial discrimination, so the sign was not breaking any laws.

Reminds me of that Bruce Lee movie...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More weird restaurant issues....

...for a moment, this made sense to me from a marketing standpoint. Then I realized it was just the hangover from a hard commute in the rain this Monday morning.

Restaurant Offers Discounts Based on Weight
    2014-12-10 16:59:17 CRIENGLISH.com Web Editor: Fei

A male diner wins a free meal at a restaurant in Chongqing on December 9, 2014. [Photo: qq.com]

Restaurants here in China have come up with fresh ideas to lure more diners.

A restaurant in Chongqing has started a promotion which entitles male diners over a certain weight to discounted food.

The discounts also apply to thin female consumers.

The policy says, for male diners, the more they weigh, the more discounts they are entitled to.

If a male customer weighs more than 140 kilograms, then the meal is free.

For female diners, things are a bit different.

The less they weigh, the more discounts they are offered.

If she weighs below 34.5 kilos, then she is exempt from paying for food.

Likewise, a restaurant in Shanghai is also offering similar promotions.

However, their campaign is focused on tall diners.

Diners with different heights can enjoy different discounts and a range of gift dishes.

And what sort of discounts can you get from these restaurants?

The male diner enjoys the free meal with his friend at a restaurant in Chongqing on December 9, 2014. [Photo: qq.com]

A female diner weigns around 40 kilograms wins a discounted meal for her and her friends at a restaurant in Chongqing on December 9, 2014. [Photo: qq.com]
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Too little too late.....

Sad Story for the family.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/12...his-execution/

Chinese court clears teenager of rape and murder 18 years after his execution

Associated Press | December 15, 2014 | Last Updated: Dec 15 1:33 PM ET
    More from Associated Press
    The judge of the higher people's court delivers retrial files to the parents (centre) of a Chinese teenager who was executed after being convicted of murder and rape 18 years ago.

BEIJING — A court in northern China on Monday cleared a man of the rape and murder of a woman in a public toilet 18 years after he was executed for the crime.

The Inner Mongolia Higher People’s Court announced on its microblog that it had overturned the conviction of Huugjilt, who was 18 when he was sentenced to death and executed for the 1996 crime. Like many ethnic Mongolians, Huugjilt used only one name.

The deputy head of the court, Zhao Jianping, offered his “sincere apologies” to Huugjilt’s parents, China’s official Xinhua News Agency reported. The parents received 30,000 yuan ($5,630) as an expression of the court’s sympathy and were told they could claim an unspecified amount of compensation.

Chinese state media carried photos of a court official handing over the verdict to Huugjilt’s weeping parents at their home in Inner Mongolia’s regional capital of Hohhot.

State media had previously reported that a convicted serial rapist and killer confessed to the murder in 2005 after receiving a death sentence for other crimes, but was never tried for this killing and has still not been executed. Huugjilt’s retrial was held only last month.

Huugjilt had come to the attention of the police after reporting that he had found the woman’s body in a public toilet in Hohhot after hearing a cry for help.

China is believed to execute more people for crimes each year than the rest of the world combined, but keeps the data secret.

Huugjilt’s trial and execution came amid one of China’s periodic “strike hard” campaigns, during which police and courts were put under extra pressure to break cases and punish criminals.

China’s high court has since taken charge of reviewing all death sentences and has pledged to carry out executions for only the most heinous crimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    point sparring is a great way to train

Hand Job Angels

VICE is a great magazine.

These Volunteers Give Handjobs to the Severely Disabled
    February 4, 2015
    By Nelson Moura and Yun jie Zou

Hand Angels helping Andy from his wheelchair into bed. Photos courtesy of Hand Angel

This article originally appeared on VICE UK.

Andy is a muscular dystrophy patient who lives with his parents in southern Taiwan. Due to his severe physical disability, he was home-schooled and couldn't leave his house alone, so never really had the opportunity to develop either an active social life or a romantic relationship.

When the Taiwanese NGO Hand Angel—an organization promoting the sexual rights of disabled people—first spoke to Andy, they realized this situation meant he'd also never been able to have a frank conversation with anyone about his sexuality. And as a young gay man who didn't want to speak to his parents about his feelings, this wasn't exactly the healthiest situation to be in.

So, over the course of a few months, representatives from the NGO counseled Andy online, helping him to understand his own sexuality and place in the world. Next, they "smuggled" him out of his house and took him to a motel for a handjob.

Taiwan—officially known as the Republic of China—has one of the best health systems in the world; its million or so disabled citizens receive some of the most thorough medical attention you'll find, including everything from long-term care to traditional herbal medicine. What they don't receive from this system, however, is any kind of aid when it comes to slightly more intimate issues, namely: orgasms.

It was for this reason that a group of social campaigners and volunteers took it upon themselves to create Hand Angel, an NGO whose main service is giving handjobs to the severely disabled. Members say that their work raises awareness of the fact that disabled people are often depicted as desexualized—as well as having their sexuality constantly neglected—despite the fact they share exactly the same desires as anybody else.

In the Netherlands, the national health system provides a grant scheme for people with disabilities to receive public money to pay for sexual services up to 12 times a year. In Taiwan, sex remains a taboo, and some Buddhists—the sovereign state's primary religion—believe that someone suffering from a disability means they're paying for bad deeds in a past life. So not the best mix for those like Andy, really.

"I can't tell my parents that I also have sexual desires, and I can't come out of the closet in front them," he told me. "My family's care puts lots of pressure [on me] and sabotages me from normal romantic relations."

Vincent, the 50-year-old founder of Hand Angel, lost his legs to polio and says his disability allows him to better empathize with applicants' needs, without any of the patronization disabled people can sometimes face. He emphasized that "disabled people share the same physical and emotional needs as any others, and therefore should have the right to pursue them."

In order to decide who's entitled to use their services, Hand Angel first assess an applicant's level of disability. The person has to be recognized by the government as having a serious physical impairment, but can't be mentally disabled. Once they're cleared, the service is totally free, but each applicant can only receive three bouts of sexual stimulation.

Volunteers—the group of 10 people actually giving the handjobs—come from varied backgrounds; some are gay, some are straight, some are disabled, some are PhD students, some are social campaigners and some work in the media. It's made very clear to me that these volunteers only use their hands for second-base kind of stuff—that hugging, caressing, and kissing on the face are all fine, but anything penetrative (fingering, oral sex, vaginal sex, and anal sex) is not.

The hands of Hand Angel volunteers

When Hand Angel took Andy to the motel, the volunteer caressed him thoroughly and gave him a handjob. He described the intimacy being so intense that, for a minute, he believed he was in love. He knew it was only temporary, of course, but the experience provided him with an emotional connection he'd never felt before.

This is part of Hand Angel's mission: not just providing a sexual service, but also bringing forth an emotional and social transformation in applicants.

"[Andy] was very introverted before, and didn't really know how to interact with people," said Vincent. "However, through months of talking online, I discovered something changed inside him. When our group was reported by the media and got lots of criticism, I saw Andy joined the public debate and argued with those [critical] internet users, trying to illustrate his opinions."

In Taiwan, where a discussion of sexuality is restrained by strict moral codes, there was also plenty of mockery leveled at Hand Angel. Internet users starting posting comments like: "Do they also offer 'Mouth Angels?'"; "I'm retarded; can I apply for Hand Angel service, too?"; and "Only three times in a lifetime?"

There even appeared to be negativity on an official level. The executive secretary of the Taipei United Social Wealth Alliance, Yi-Ting Hu, commented on the NGO, saying: "Speaking from personal opinion, I don't think we need to bring up disabled people's sexuality as an independent issue. There are more important and urgent problems we need to deal with. Don't you think if you advocate their sexual rights, it is like another form of discrimination?"

Of course, he seemed to only be proving Hand Angels' point; to suggest that advocating a disabled person's sexual rights is a form of discrimination is, first, patronizing in itself, and secondly, just completely bizarre—how is consensually receiving a handjob in any way discriminatory?

Andy summed it up: "I didn't feel I was the target of pity. The whole process was full of respect and equality. This might be deemed as controversial by society, but as long as you're willing to look into it, what we desire is no different from others. Just ask yourself: do you need to consult your parents before having sex?"
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I have this rather embarrassing photo of our previous editor straddling a giant cigarette-in-an-ashtray sculpture. She told me never to show it to anyone. It wasn't a promise, but I still haven't done so. I imagine I'm saving it for just the right occasion.
    if its on purpose, i think its has subtle political meaning.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

7. overexposed sexual related stuffs don't make you feel enough
    but it definitely make me feel disgusted

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    What makes this worse is that the ink in traditional Chinese painting usually reeks. I can't imagine it tastes any better.

not only that, but all his art looks like rice paper that someone has licked while their tongue was covered in ink.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

How China goes 'green'...

...I can't even think of what to say about this...

Look: Jilin goes 'green'...by planting plastic greenery

Jilin city, Jilin province has decided to hop on the "go green" bandwagon...by planting more than 30 plastic plants in the city centre. Residents there were initially attracted to the plants until realizing that the greenery is in fact fake. This led to many residents criticizing the local government for wasting resources rather than actually contributing to the environment.

Sadly, it looks like the people of Jilin will still have to head to the market for their greens.

By Freya Twigden

[Images via NetEase]
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Dog wedding

The fundamentalists were right - first gays, then beasts.

China's first mass dog wedding held for 21 canine 'couples' in Beijing

A total of 21 dog "couples" walked down the aisle in a mass pet wedding held in Beijing on Sunday, because the world is a strange, strange place. (But it's god****ed cute, so just go with it.)

Note: For the sake of not wanting to over-use quotation marks, we are just going to omit them for the rest of the article while remaining fully aware that the concept of animal "couples" getting "married" is completely absurd.

Carrying on.

China's first-ever canine wedding kicked off at around 10:00 a.m. at a Beijing park decorated with flower arches and banquet tables, on which the animals displayed their matching tuxes and wedding dresses.

Pets and their owners pulled up to the ceremony in a stretch Hummer and BMW convertibles, according to Sina News. Ahem.

The grooms and their *****es were led down a rose petal-scattered aisle by their owners, occasionally wandering off to sniff flowers and scratch themselves because they're dogs. They received their marriage licenses from Shi Kangning, the secretary general of the Committee of Wedding Service Industries, who presided over the ceremony.

Watch the video of the pet wedding here, unless you're single. In that case, weep because these dogs found true love before you and because you might not end up getting married until you're 86.

[Images via Weibo]
    Contact the author of this article or email tips@shanghaiist.com with further questions, comments or tips.
    By Katie Nelson in News on Apr 13, 2015 11:59 PM
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Apparently they don't support mixed marriage...
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Quote Originally Posted by TaichiMantis View Post
    Apparently they don't support mixed marriage...
    the girls do the men don't

Seaweed man

...the stuff of Chinese nightmares.

What’s the best way to market sea food? Why, dress a mannequin in it, of course!
    Meg Murphy
    20 hours ago

Advertising is a big part of any business. In order to sell your product, you have to make it look appealing to customers in order to tempt them into making a purchase, and thinking of new, creative ways to advertise your goods can get pretty tricky.

However, we’re quite torn over whether this Seaweed Man – discovered at a grocery store in China – is a stroke of advertising genius, or just a creepy, half-assed attempt at it.

This mannequin was found the other day, lurking in the fresh fish department of a grocery store in China. From the back, it looks like it might be related to the creature from the black lagoon… Seaweed loin cloth, seaweed shawl-like top, and even a tangle-y mess of seaweed hair upon its head.

Things get even weirder (and smellier) upon closer inspection.

Seaweed Man has… a rather effeminate face.

Perhaps this was an idea that came to one of the store workers as a way to boost their seaweed sales (as various types of seaweeds are regularly consumed in parts of Asia). But no matter which way we look at it, we’re not sure how much Seaweed Man here would be able to drives sales up…

Thaaat’s alright, Seaweed Man, you can keep your clothes. I think I’ll go get my seaweed elsewhere.

Source and images: Narinari
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Who the frack needs a female escort to play online games?

Some Chinese online gamers apparently...

Female escorts for online gamers in vogue in China
    Chuang Shu-chung and Staff Reporter 2015-04-21 08:57 (GMT+8)

Escorts with online gamers at an internet cafe. (Photo courtesy of Sina Weibo)

Chinese online gamers tired of playing games online by themselves can now pay between 20-100 yuan (US$3.20-$16) an hour for a female online "escort" to play with them.

More advanced services offer a female gamecaster who will explain and demonstrate games to the players via face-to-face online chat.

"If a woman has a sweet voice, this will be even more popular than any gaming skills she might have," one escort brokerage firm said. He said that those seeking female "escorts" are usually white-collar workers living in coastal areas who are willing to spend money on online games.

A lot of female college students and office ladies moonlight as these female "escorts" for online gamers as a source of income. Supply and demand are equally hot, the firm said.

"It is common for an experienced female escort to make 3,000 yuan (US$485) a month," one firm said. Top female "escorts" can make up to 8,000 yuan (US$1,300) per month, and the commissions paid to the firm are usually between 5% and 10%.

In addition to honing the skills of online players, the women who serve as gamecasters see it as a money-making venture.

One Hong Kong media outlet stated that the trade in "gamecasters" has been going on for some time, with some women who have won online game competitions able to command annual salaries that could start at 10 million yuan (US$1.6 million).

The brokerage firms say the market potential for female "escorts" and gamecasters is big, but added that a lack of effective regulation often leads to disputes or even fraud.

Some players are quite blunt in saying that they want to see their female "escorts" offline for sex, which leads to the question of whether this line of work is merely another front for prostitution.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Couldn't think of a better place for this and a new thread didn't seem appropriate.

China’s Ingenious Online Dating Scams Put Ours To Shame

http://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbernst...ame#.ilNal7yYX

Such a douchebag move. Wish I thought of it, lol.