Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: I will never understand China

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBrain View Post
    Hahahaha! Like a pet rock on a leash. Bizar.
    Or my old cat when I tried to leash train her as a kitten. As soon as I started to tug, she would just fall over and give me the stink eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Or my old cat when I tried to leash train her as a kitten. As soon as I started to tug, she would just fall over and give me the stink eye.
    We have a dog and a cat. The dog understands over 250 words and has probably 70 working commands. The cat, impossible to train. We tried to leash train the cat with the exact same result as you got. Love/hate relationship I have with that cute furry little satan spawn.

In my experience, cats in general are more like wild animals than pets (true housecats excepted). When I was a kid, we had a cat that definitely was not a housecat; she only came around to eat and drink, and occasionally hang around. She was mostly my older sister's cat, though. They can survive very well on their own, if necessary.

Later we had a dog, and her personality was pretty much the opposite of the cat.

Sorry Gene, but I am hijacking this thread a bit in order to further this dog vs. cat thing.

This is why I'm more of a dog person.

Peaches with panties

Peaches packaged in pairs of panties provoke protests in PRC
    Master Blaster Jul 31, 2014

It’s summer which means it’s the season for peaches! These sweet and juicy fruits are believed to have originated in China and thrive there to this day, with the Asian nation producing over half of the world’s supply. But inside the People’s Republic, this level of familiarity has locals disinterested, inspiring growers to look for ways to spice things up between consumers and peaches. And so, to reignite people’s passion for the fuzzy fruits, they slipped on pairs of sheer panties.

Yes, this season get your peaches in a satin-lined box, with each fruit presenting itself in a rainbow selection of cuts and fabrics.

Surprisingly, online reaction hasn’t been overwhelmingly positive. It would seem some people are put off by clearly suggestive imagery of the cleft fruit peaking through their undergarments.

Perhaps people’s appetites were killed off by the occasional poor positioning of the peaches, which reveals the gaping, cavernous hole of their central column underneath the panties.

But for those undeterred by the presentation, a nine-pack of pantied-peaches reportedly sell for around US$80 in Nanjing City. It’s uncertain if they’re also available in fur-free nectarines for folks who are turned on by that kind of thing.

$80USD for a nine-pack?! Holy cats!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Tsagaan Khass (White Swastika)

Mongolian neo-Nazis: Anti-Chinese sentiment fuels rise of ultra-nationalism
    Alarm sounds over rise of extreme groups such as Tsagaan Khass who respect Hitler and reject foreign influence
    Tania Branigan in Ulan Bator
    The Guardian, Monday 2 August 2010 11.13 EDT

Mongolian neo-Nazi group the Tsagaan Khas ('White Swastika') salute on the streets of the capital Ulan Bator Photograph: Dan Chung for the Guardian

Their right hands rise to black-clad chests and flash out in salute to their nation: "Sieg heil!" They praise Hitler's devotion to ethnic purity.

But with their high cheekbones, dark eyes and brown skin, they are hardly the Third Reich's Aryan ideal. A new strain of Nazism has found an unlikely home: Mongolia.

Once again, ultra-nationalists have emerged from an impoverished economy and turned upon outsiders. This time the main targets come from China, the rising power to the south.

Groups such as Tsagaan Khass, or White Swastika, portray themselves as patriots standing up for ordinary citizens in the face of foreign crime, rampant inequality, political indifference and corruption.

But critics say they scapegoat and attack the innocent. The US state department has warned travellers of increased assaults on inter-racial couples in recent years – including organised violence by ultra-nationalist groups.

Dayar Mongol threatened to shave the heads of women who sleep with Chinese men. Three years ago, the leader of Blue Mongol was convicted of murdering his daughter's boyfriend, reportedly because the young man had studied in China.

Though Tsagaan Khass leaders say they do not support violence, they are self-proclaimed Nazis. "Adolf Hitler was someone we respect. He taught us how to preserve national identity," said the 41-year-old co-founder, who calls himself Big Brother.

"We don't agree with his extremism and starting the second world war. We are against all those killings, but we support his ideology. We support nationalism rather than fascism."

It is, by any standards, an extraordinary choice. Under Hitler, Soviet prisoners of war who appeared Mongolian were singled out for execution. More recently, far-right groups in Europe have attacked Mongolian migrants.

Not all ultra-nationalists use this iconography; and widespread ignorance about the Holocaust and other atrocities may help to explain why some do.

Tsagaan Khass points out that the swastika is an ancient Asian symbol – which is true, but does not explain the group's use of Nazi colours, the Nazi eagle and the Nazi salute; or the large picture of the Führer on Big Brother's cigarette case.

Nor does it seem greatly relevant, given their unabashed admiration for Hitler's racial beliefs.

"We have to make sure that as a nation our blood is pure. That's about our independence," said 23-year-old Battur, pointing out that the population is under three million.

"If we start mixing with Chinese, they will slowly swallow us up. Mongolian society is not very rich. Foreigners come with a lot of money and might start taking our women."

Big Brother acknowledges he discovered such ideas through the nationalist groups that emerged in Russia after the Soviet Union's fall; Mongolia had been a satellite state. But the anti-Chinese tinge is distinct and increasingly popular.

"While most people feel far-right discourse is too extreme, there seems to be a consensus that China is imperialistic, 'evil' and intent on taking Mongolia," said Franck Billé of Cambridge University, who is researching representations of Chinese people in Mongolia.

Hip hop tracks such as Don't Go Too Far, You *****s by 4 Züg – chorus: "shoot them all, all, all" – have been widely played in bars and clubs. Urban myths abound; some believe Beijing has a secret policy of encouraging men to have sex with Mongolian women.

Yet Tsagaan Khass claims it welcomes law-abiding visitors of all races, and Big Brother can certainly be hospitable.

Enthusiastically shaking hands, he says: "Even though you are a British citizen, you are still Asian, and that makes you very cool."

He says the younger members have taught him to be less extreme and the group appears to be reshaping itself – expelling "criminal elements" and insisting on a good education as a prerequisite for membership. One of the leaders is an interior designer.

But critics fear ultra-nationalists are simply becoming more sophisticated and, quietly, more powerful. Tsagaan Khass say it "works closely" with other organisations and is now discussing a merger.

"Some people are in complete denial … [but] we can no longer deny this is a problem," said Anaraa Nyamdorj, of Mongolia's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Centre.

The US state department has noted increased reports of xenophobic attacks since the spring. The UN country review cites a recent vicious assault on three young transgender women. When one of the victims publicly blamed an ultra-nationalist group – not Tsagaan Khass – death threats quickly followed.

"They are getting more support from the public," added Enkhjargal Davaasuren, director of the National Centre Against Violence, who fears that ultra-nationalists are growing more confident and victims too scared to come forward. She pointed to a YouTube video posted last year, showing a man roughly shaving a woman's long hair. The victim's face is buried in her hands, but her hunched body reeks of fear.

Others in Ulan Bator suggest the movement is waning and suspect the groups' menacing stance and claims of 3,000 members are bluster. Billé thinks there is "a lot of posturing".

"We have heard of instances [of violence]. They are not necessarily all right or all wrong," said Javkhlan, a Tsagaan Khass leader. But the group is simply a "law enforcement" body, he maintained: "We do checks; we go to hotels and restaurants to make sure Mongolian girls don't do prostitution and foreigners don't break the laws.

"We don't go through and beat the **** out of everyone. We check our information and make sure it's true."

They rely on police and media pressure to reform such businesses, he added. And if that failed? "We try to avoid using power," he said. "That would be our very last resort."
    I can't even wrap my head around what is happening in Mongolia now.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

who the hell cares? mongolia has like 2 cities lol

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

jail-themed restaurant

Actually, I do kinda understand this. By that I mean that I would eat here.

New jail-themed restaurant opens in Tianjin

In Taiwan, sex restaurants and toilet-inspired eateries are all the rage. Tianjin's idea of themed restaurant fun is slightly more dispiriting. This past weekend, the city opened its first-ever jail-themed restaurant, which the owner said he'd created so that diners could cherish their own freedom, according to Tencent News. Enlightening.

Each eating room is its own separate "cell" made from iron caging. The interior resembles a water dungeon or themed prison, and cells vary in size depending on the number of customers in a party.

Customers are seen eating in the "jail".

Naturally, web users had something to say on this matter.

One netizen guessed: "The boss must have stayed in jail before. He has different perception on this after he came out."

Others agreed: "It'll be too depressing to eat."

We just hope it doesn't inspire more incidents like this. Would you eat at a jail-themed restaurant?

By Lucy Liu
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

As long as they don't serve jail food. Been there, done that too many times in my past lives.

I don't really understand some of these. The vacation ones are super weird. Like how you can go stay in a fake African shanty town. Kind of messed up. People talk about "the experience" but that is complete bullshit. It's all aesthetic. You want shanty town experience? Then make them walk an hour to get to clean water and then carry it back for another hour. You want a prison experience, then lock the door behind them. In a country with shocking abuse in that area, it's actually pretty disrespectful. Not as bad as the shanty town, but getting there.

Horrifingly Beautiful Photos Show The Human Cost Of China's Massive Pollution Problem
    more photos are on the linked article above.

Gritty, detailed scenes from some of China's most polluted places will make you grateful for the air you breathe.
    Headlines about China's record-breaking pollution are usually accompanied by hazy photos of the Beijing skyline and statistics so large they seem abstract: 1.2 million Chinese people die because of air pollution each year, and water pollution kills another 70,000 people.

In a new series, U.K. photographer Souvid Datta takes a different perspective on the problem, telling the everyday story of the people living with the pollution and showing detailed shots of murky water or air rather than distant cityscapes.
    Name:  3035080-inline-i-1-these-photos-show-the-human-cost-of-chinas.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  97.2 KB
    "At the core was my aversion to the pruned, cliched, and general stories of China and its environmental crises that we are most commonly exposed to: the 'smog apocalypse,' 'emerging-market' arguments and statistics, or photos of pedestrian crowds donning air-filter masks," says Datta.

"These only served to distance and over-simplify a nuanced reality, and the last thing I wanted to do was add to that narrative. The work had to evoke a sense of genuine empathy and curiosity in readers, something that could nudge them towards productive awareness."

For four weeks, Datta traveled to some of the most polluted places in Tianjin, Heibei, Jiangsu, and Zheijang provinces, along with mega-cities like Beijing and Shanghai. Inspired by the loss of a friend's younger brother to lung cancer in Beijing, he wanted to document how decades of corruption and censorship had worsened pollution and affected millions.

He also wanted to show the current state of pollution in China as things slowly begin to change--in the last couple of years, the government has finally started to acknowledge the extent of the challenge and taken some first steps in response, like allowing lawsuits against companies that pollute.

The changes have been driven by public anger at the situation. "2013 saw protests against pollution multiply as people have become more concerned about the heavy ecological cost of economic development," Datta says. "And where once the firm hand of the Chinese communist party effectively controlled public conversations and restricted opposition, young people are now aware that the fight against pollution is a personal right."

In the future, Datta will return again to document more. "China’s environmental crises definitely arise on a scale as epic and sweeping as the country itself," he says. "Four weeks was nowhere near enough."

Photos: Souvid Datta

I can only imagine....

...that this is what bawang sees in his head when someone mentions kentucky fried...

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...that this is what bawang sees in his head when someone mentions kentucky fried...
    Is that supposed to be the Chinese Katy Perry??

It's Old MacDonald Had a Farm Meets Lady Gaga...
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Quote Originally Posted by TaichiMantis View Post
    It's Old MacDonald Had a Farm Meets Lady Gaga...
    Gaga-esque for sure.