Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: I will never understand China

hot pot toothpaste

i can't even...

Hot pot flavored toothpaste goes on sale in China!
    Unfortunately, it was just a limited-edition run
    by Alex Linder May 10, 2019

Want to preserve that spicy tingle from eating hot pot even after brushing? Have we got just the product for you!

A Chinese toothpaste company named Leng Suan Ling (冷酸灵) has partnered with hot pot chain Xiao Long Kan (小龙坎) to release a line of limited-edition hot pot-flavored toothpastes which come in three flavors: “medium-spicy,” “Sichuan-spicy,” and “absurdly-spicy.”

Unfortunately, you won’t be able to find these products at your local FamilyMart.

Over the first two or three days after they went on sale, 3,957 sets were reportedly sold online. There were then advertised to be a mere 300 left which appear to have now been quickly bought up for prices as low as 30 yuan ($4.40).

Alas, it appears that this revolution in toothpaste flavoring was essentially an effort at cross-promotional hype. Suppose we’ll have to stick to our traditional Chinese-made toothpastes flavored with tea and poison.
    THREADS
    I will never understand China
    Hot Sauce!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

wait... wth?

srsly....wtH?!?

Picture of ‘giant dragon that caused Yibin earthquake’ lands Chinese man in detention
    Suspect says manipulated image of snake was intended as ‘a bit of fun’, but police in city where tremor killed 13 people last month weren’t laughing
    Man said on social media that a ‘120-metre-long giant dragon with a diameter of 1.5 meters jumped out of the water’
    Jane Zhang
    Published: 7:14pm, 5 Jul, 2019

A man has been detained for suggesting a giant dragon might have caused last month’s earthquake in Sichuan. Photo: Shutterstock

A man from southwest China has been detained for spreading rumours after he posted a badly manipulated image of a snake on social media and claimed it was a dragon that might have caused last month’s deadly earthquake in Sichuan province.
    Police in Yibin, where 13 people were killed by a magnitude 6 quake that struck on June 17, said the 50-year-old suspect, identified only as Zhang, was taken into custody on Wednesday in Chongqing, which neighbours Sichuan.
    His detention, the term of which was not specified, came after a task force was set up to investigate the rumour that had “drawn much attention and caused huge panic”, police said in a statement on Weibo, China’s Twitter-like platform.
    Zhang uploaded the image, which appears to show a huge snake emerging from a hillside, as hundreds of people casually look on, to Weibo last week.

Police set up a task force to track Zhang down after he posted this image on social media. Photo: Weibo

The caption with the image read: “A 120-metre [390-foot] giant dragon with a diameter of 1.5 metres jumped out of the water this afternoon, attracting thousands of people.
    “Experts have flown here and it’s said the dragon had something to do with the earthquake.”
    Despite the poor quality of the digital manipulation, Zhang managed to upset at least one woman, who was convinced the serpent was real after being shown the doctored image by her granddaughter.
    “I told her it’s fake,” the younger woman said on Weibo. “But she got mad at me, saying that I was fooling her.”
    Police said Zhang had apologised for any upset caused and said he came up with the “dragon” idea after finding an already manipulated image of a snake online. It was “only meant to be a bit of fun”, he was quoted as saying.
    While the image might have fooled one elderly lady, few others were taken in.
    “I think the man misunderstands what a dragon should look like,” said a Weibo user.
    “This isn’t really a rumour. This is an IQ test,” said another.

This article appeared in the South China Morning Post print edition as: Arrest after rumours link ‘giant dragon’ to quake
    THREADS
    aye, here there be Dragons...
    I will never understand China
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This year's facekinis

Facekini needs an indie thread.

Poached the posts above off our I will never understand China thread.

New facekini designs hit the beaches of Qingdao
    Looking to turn heads this summer?
    by Alex Linder August 6, 2019 in Gallery

To help women look their best this summer at the beach while also keeping their skin safe from the sun’s harmful rays, the latest line of “facekinis” have been unveiled.

Zhang Shifan designed the first facekini more than a decade ago. The unusual piece of swimwear caught on in the coastal city of Qingdao and Zhang has been rolling out new, colorful iterations each year which do much more than just cover the face.

There are six new designs for this year. Two of them are completely new and are inspired by the fashions of the Silk Road.

The other four are new takes on Zhang’s endangered animal designs from 2016, which now hide the animals’ modesty with bikini patterns.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips