Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Right Dominant or Both Left and Right

Right Dominant or Both Left and Right

How does you guys train? Do you practice techniques only on your dominant side? Do you practice only the Right side? Do you practice techniques on both sides equally?

What are the ins and outs to training the different ways. I have seen many Northern Shaolin forms that are right hand dominant. Hung Gar forms are mostly ambidexterous. Which method do everyone preffer?

ginosifu

Blog Entries
    I prefer to focus on both left and right to have a good balance. plus, when one side gets tired you can use the other side just as effectively.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Blog Entries
    I like to train different moves for different sides. This way, I can train twice as many moves than trying to train the same move on both sides. You may train "general" moves on both sides but you should only train your "door gurding" moves on one side only. If you look at the following picture, there is a mark on his right foot that you don't see that on his left foot. You can tell that there are certain skills that he only trains on his right leg but not on his left leg.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/7986/changbite1.jpg

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/7640/changbite.jpg
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-07-2011 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I like to train different moves for different sides. This way, I can train twice as many moves than trying to train the same move on both sides.
    +1

Different moves, methods, strategies, and even systems. And be able to switch and integrate them.

Blog Entries
    I believe a person should feel comfortable in either side dominant forward.

But you know it's funny when this happens right???

When your fighting a guy and give him a good round kick to the thigh (for example)

* then, as NonChalant as he can... He now turns his UNINJURED SIDE to the forward position. Ala his injured leg to the rear.

* It's at that point you usually say to yourself "Hah, I know your hurting!"

"O"
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

Traditional Song Shan Shaolin favours striking from the front hand, so switches sides frequently in order to use both hands. Some shaolin styles of the traditional Sanshou footwork are closer to natural walking than to modern sanda and switches with every step.

In more modern schools the traditional technique is combined with Sanda footwork and tends to favour 1 side.

I favour left hand forward but have recently begun to adjust my training to use both sides more equally.
    Last edited by RenDaHai; 11-08-2011 at 03:01 AM.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    I switch back and forth. I train both sides. You should be able to perform the same actions from either side.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

I have always practiced everything both left and right. However, do you do everything left and right?

Drills - Left and Right?

Self Defense - Left and Right?

Throws - Left and Right?

Sparring - Left and Right?

Have you ever taken a Right Hand dominant form and turned around and practice it the complete opposite? Or even should you do this?

ginosifu

I think if you are good at being ambidextrous then your sparring will naturally cover both sides.

In shaolin its a good show of skill to 'flip' a form and do it the other way round. Amazing show of co-ordination if you get it right the first time you try. I would still master it one side and play it on the other though. Often the important moves are done on both sides anyway. Most often the Drills are structured to contain both sides and methods of switching.

Its only really the more difficult kicks that I train one sided, but this is because I almost never actually use them in sparring. And if I do, I certainly choose my best side. These tend to only appear one sided in forms.

I train both sides, however, prefer to keep an orthodox stance which sets up stronger boxing techniques due to me being right handed. This allows good hand set ups and power roundhouse kicks with the right leg, my more powerful leg, and also allows me to set up my side thrust and front thrust kicks from the front leg, making them quicker and harder to see coming.

In Pai Lum we would often fight with our strong leg in front, which would put me in Southpaw stance with the right leg forward, which is good for strong side kicks, quick roundhouses, hooks, crescent, and ax kick.

I always balance the two when sparring, the key is to know when to switch stance and not do it at close range where it will be easier for your opponent to catch you off guard with a strike or clinch. This is the one critisism I have of some combat sport styles who advocate never switching stance. If done correctly it can mix up your techniques and keep your opponent unknown of what you will throw next. The key is learning how to properly transition between the two.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

seeing that 86% of people in the world are right handed, we train for real life application so therefore mostly train from the right punch, but we do switch up sometimes, but we feel its better to train realistically.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Most of the Kung fu I've been taught and have learned has both sides being worked in an even manner.

weak on one side? Train it more than the good side until you are at least on par.

BSL is however right dominant and that is expressed in sets and especially in the weapons sets.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Which hand do you guys iron palm with the best? I will look to avoid that side in combat.

Both, but depends on what I'm doing. For instance I like to train a new throw on my dominant side until I get it down, then start training my weaker half. This way I have a point of reference to use to teach my weak half to the same standard.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Both sides always... When I studied under Ruan Dong in Fuzhou I would also be made to learn forms backwards... that was hard LOL !.
    A few years ago I decided to bite the bullet and start using my left hand for numcucks... that was much more difficult than I had thought it would be, but kinda opened the door for me to use two chain whips and daos etc. without killing myself.