Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Right Dominant or Both Left and Right

GETHIN
    please be advised there called Nunchaku, not numcucks. If you are going to use this primitive farming tool for MA you should at least know how to pronunce and spell it. just an FYI
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I like to train different moves for different sides. This way, I can train twice as many moves than trying to train the same move on both sides. You may train "general" moves on both sides but you should only train your "door gurding" moves on one side only. If you look at the following picture, there is a mark on his right foot that you don't see that on his left foot. You can tell that there are certain skills that he only trains on his right leg but not on his left leg.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/7986/changbite1.jpg

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/7640/changbite.jpg
    I agree with YKW here, this is definitely a training philosophy that I use for myself. I tend to prefer my right lead forward but can go left lead forward and have an entire different style.

Quote Originally Posted by RWilson View Post
    Which hand do you guys iron palm with the best? I will look to avoid that side in combat.
    what you want to watch for is the jab that sets up the cross that KTFOs you. lol

Iron palm is old school hand conditioning.

You haven't been pimp slapped until you've been Iron Palm pimp slapped.

After that, you will never tuck another Benjamin in your bra to hide it from Your mac daddy!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    How does you guys train? Do you practice techniques only on your dominant side? Do you practice only the Right side? Do you practice techniques on both sides equally?

What are the ins and outs to training the different ways. I have seen many Northern Shaolin forms that are right hand dominant. Hung Gar forms are mostly ambidexterous. Which method do everyone preffer?

ginosifu
    Our stance is left foot forward, but we are encouraged to practice most things on both sides. One of our senior instructors took our Grandmasters instruction to always practice everything on both sides to the extreme by practicing all of our sets on both sides.

Our Grandmaster responded by saying "well that's very impressive but why have you done that?" He didn't mean the set work apparantly..

We are usually shown techniques in our normal stance and then expected to practice on both sides on our own.

What stance do you guys use, left or right foot forward?

Kev
    This is my Dad, he works in an abattoir...

Blog Entries
    What stance do you guys use, left or right foot forward?
    Choy Lee Fut usually favors the right side over the left. What side you use during a fight depends on the person. some people are unorthodox stance while others are orthodox. but when you start learning double weapons you begin to become more aware of your weak less favored side and work to strengthen it for a good balance.

I've done a minute about of fencing (i prefer escrima) but i'm a left handed person but i fight orthodox. when i picked up a foil i discovered my right hand was all about power, my left hand rarely ever used was clearly smoother, more precise, and less power focused. Since i've learned to work both sides, it lends an advantage IMHO
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 11-08-2011 at 10:27 AM.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    Traditional Song Shan Shaolin favours striking from the front hand, so switches sides frequently in order to use both hands.
    The Chinese throwing art also use

- "front hand" to control your opponent's neck or waist, and
    - "back hand" to control your opponent's arm.
    - "front leg" as the door.
    - "back leg" as the axis of the door.

If your body parts are used to do certain jobs, you don't want to switch.

If you train your hand gun, you can train one hand with 100% accuracy. You can also train both hands with 50% accuracy (because you have to divide your training time in 1/2). During a life a death situation, you may only have one chance to shot. Do you want to have 100% accuracy or 50% accuracy (even if you can shot with both hands)?

The same analogy, if you train "head lock" on one side, you can make it 100% strong. If you train it on both sides, you will make your both arms 50% equally strong. Since you may only have chance to use your head lock once in combat, it's better to have a 100% strong head lock than to have 50% strong head lock (even if you can apply it on both sides).
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-08-2011 at 10:59 AM.

Earth Dragon

Ouote:
    EarthDragon
    GETHIN
    please be advised there called Nunchaku, not numcucks. If you are going to use this primitive farming tool for MA you should at least know how to pronunce and spell it. just an FYI
    Unquote.
    .................................................. .................................................. ............................
    Thanks Earth Dragon, ... I've called them 'Shaung jie gun' here for so long I didn't think many people would recognize that.
    As for primitive farming - that's all I've ever seen in China... kinda goes well with my HD's then !

We train both sides initially for any and all drills with an emphasis on discovery of any weakness to which we then advocate trying to bring the weak side up to a level of competency.

Both the Hsing I (xingyi) and the Pa Kua (bagua) we practice does most things bilaterally to develop the ability to switch guard, footchange and/or "pyan" shift offline in relation to the attack in order to attain flank advantage, etc.

But as one progresses and discovers the inevitable, which is in agreement with YKW, we will tend to "specialize" this or that skillset to the more comfortable side of the body.

So after awhile, we all find our preferences and that begins to shape the remainder of our continued training. Essentially, once enough experience is gained, we yield to individuality dictated by both the body and mind of the practitioner.

Hsu Hong Chi (Xu Hong Ji) used to like to say; "Not everyone is a size nine shoe."
    One of these days the world is going to become so politically correct that it will scare itself out of existence.

MP 2007

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I like to train different moves for different sides. This way, I can train twice as many moves than trying to train the same move on both sides. You may train "general" moves on both sides but you should only train your "door gurding" moves on one side only. If you look at the following picture, there is a mark on his right foot that you don't see that on his left foot. You can tell that there are certain skills that he only trains on his right leg but not on his left leg.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/7986/changbite1.jpg

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/7640/changbite.jpg
    what is that from?

Training to fight from either side so to speak is a battle field inovation. If you are fighting a single opponent, you can afford to put your best foot forward, but when you are in a situation where you may be faced with many, and from different directions, you really need to be able to respond from either side equally. It is a simple matter of survival on the battle field. In todays world, and especially if you train a martial art simply for the novelty or fun of it, there is no immediate need to train both sides equally, but it would not be a bad thing.
    Having said that, I personally trained harder from the left side because my right was dominent. I want equal use from both sides, but even after years of left on training I am still right dominent to the greater extent.
    Jackie Lee

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diego View Post
    what is that from?
    A SC master taught his student how to "bite" in ground game. The old man trained "head lock" and "leg twist" on his right side only.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-08-2011 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    How does you guys train? Do you practice techniques only on your dominant side? Do you practice only the Right side? Do you practice techniques on both sides equally?

What are the ins and outs to training the different ways. I have seen many Northern Shaolin forms that are right hand dominant. Hung Gar forms are mostly ambidexterous. Which method do everyone preffer?

ginosifu
    Train both sides for sure. There's a pretty decent tactical advantage to being able to easily switch between the two.

I find that I'm just a different fighter using one lead than the other, different moves are most natural, etc. It's been interesting to me how that developed.

On another note, I think that one should develop both leads. You never know when you go in to do a throw that's a step through, the other guy manages a good escape, and suddenly, your other lead is in there.