Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Qigong's Buddhist Origins

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Like a tongue planted firmly in cheek . . .

. . or you will miss all that heavy handed irony.
    That presumes there is something to miss, which once again, is just another artificially contrived creation of the mind.

You get out of it what you contrive.

You only miss what you allow others to contrive for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    You only miss what you allow others to contrive for you.
    I miss those special times we had together, me at home in my Scooby-Doo boxers, you across the street in a tree w your night scope and high powered rifle...

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    I miss those special times we had together, me at home in my Scooby-Doo boxers, you across the street in a tree w your night scope and high powered rifle...
    Yeah..writing bromides on the bullets just to send you a pithy message you will never read with your dying breath.

Those were the good ole days!!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post

I'm telling ya, the whole subtext of taking refuge and the precepts is that a teetotaling vegetarian who can zuochan in full lotus is a straight up license to act like a self satisfied prick.
    YOu mean as opposed to how considerate and relaxed drinking, meat-eating never-meditating artists, authors, scientists, politicians, etc are? Bunch o happy non-self-obsessing people that never act like self-serving pr1cks. Don't get me started on actors and martial artists and academics.

All we can do is try to do our best.
    Last edited by rett; 12-03-2011 at 04:51 AM.

Originally Posted by wenshu

I'm telling ya, the whole subtext of taking refuge and the precepts is that a teetotaling vegetarian who can zuochan in full lotus is a straight up license to act like a self satisfied *****.
    well, the thing is the one who takes the posture of seated meditation, adheres to the precepts and follows the 8 fold path is unlikely to behave in a self satisfied manner at all nor do they assume there is any license for it.

More likely they could give a flying f^%k about the petty consternation of others.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I think the point is, Buddhism isn't ****ty.

There are just a lot of ****ty Buddhists.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post

Like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    I think the point is, Buddhism isn't ****ty.

I can't figure out why they word-filter blocks the string "pret"

Quote Originally Posted by rett View Post
    I can't figure out why they word-filter blocks the string "pret"
    ---------------------------------------

because of "sh.."

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ---------------------------------------

because of "sh.."
    This is you not getting that joke.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Alaska. http://jadedragonalaska.yolasite.com/

Historical Patterns of Origin

Whatever Kalari's influence was in the martial arts, it is pretty much independent in their stances, forms, animal interpretation, and the delivery of internal martial force.

I will have to research the common 108, and what is intrinsic to the system.

As far as Chakras/Meridians, although similar, they are not identical: Chakras being more nerve based whereas meridians are more complete systems that have flows independent of the nervous system.

It has been a while, but I had noticed other differences in the flow also.

Whether Qigong was based on Chinese Buddhism before Da Mo, or Chinese Taoism before Da Mo; it is a Chinese developed system that Shaolin is founded on. Qigong bone washing existed before Ba Dir, and is well documented; but Taoist claims going back further have no training manual to verify their claim.

Many religions and martial arts have concepts in common, that is part of the human consciousness and experience. To say they are dependant on one another, is another

Before Da Mo and Shaolin, many sects would strive for spiritual and/or high levels of consciousness by denial of the body; in order to be free of life’s mortal limitations. This is a fundamental difference.

My training is meditation and physically based Shaolin Buddhism; some of the concepts are detailed at: http://www.jadedragonalaska.com/budd...l-concepts.php
    These have nothing to do with Taoism, Hinduism or Kalari; although they may have arrived at similar conclusion through a different path.

What is the significance of the 2006 discovery?

'In the year 2006, an anonymous collector of ancient Chinese artifacts called the administration of the China Henan Wushu festival, which is held every two years, saying that they had a very interesting piece in their collection; a stone tablet which could shed light on several unanswered questions concerning Chinese history.

A group of scholars went to examine the stone tablet, which turned out to be genuine and had been erected to commemorate the eminent monk Huiguang. To everyone's great surprise, the tablet revealed the actual construction date of the Shaolin monastery, which scholars had previously thought to be 494 or 495 C.E. to be the year 479 C.E., earlier than thought of until the discovery. The tablet also gave valuable information verifying certain lineages, confirming Xuanzang's connection to Huiguang.'

Last edited by Foiling Fist; 12-13-2011 at 04:29 PM.

Boy!!! You REALLY don't know what you are talking about, do you?

You have either been poorly educated or simply make assumptions based upon poor research!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Boy!!! You REALLY don't know what you are talking about, do you?

You have either been poorly educated or simply make assumptions based upon poor research!
    Everybody is allowed to make their own mistakes.

This is an all too common case of the untaught wanting to teach for egotistical benefit of some construct or other.

I do concur with your observation and acknowledge that my own knowledge is incomplete though...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Alaska. http://jadedragonalaska.yolasite.com/

Pompous Parrots

What is the relevance of the historical background and origins of a system?

Some will focus on the details of the dates and names. The difference in the opinions of this crowd, are who is the better parrot, or who is a flunky of a better source; since nobody was there, who is writing history now.

Understanding the patterns of history reveals more about the how and why of a new development. This will help an independent thinker to learn core fundamentals, interrelationships, inner-dependencies, enabling a new consciousness.

Parrots only repeat.

Why did Da Mo find the monks at Shaolin frail if bone washing was already developed?

Was it that previously Buddhism was focused on the non-physical and unphysical?

Were Shaolin monks into other physical exercises or primarily fasting and meditation?

Could it be that the mechanics of Qigong at the time did not have corresponding movement of the limbs as Da Mo’s; and concentrated on leading Qi with the meditative mind?

Since martial arts were banned by both Mao and the Taiwan bound Chang Kai Check (1928), and Buddhism was outlawed by Mao; government accounts cannot be relied on.

For most modern students of Kung Fu, the only thing Buddhist or meditative: is sitting cross-legged or kneeling with eyes closed.

When asked, what is Buddhist about Shaolin, few know.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Everybody is allowed to make their own mistakes.

This is an all too common case of the untaught wanting to teach for egotistical benefit of some construct or other.

I do concur with your observation and acknowledge that my own knowledge is incomplete though...
    Last edited by Foiling Fist; 12-13-2011 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Whose dummy are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Foiling Fist View Post
    What is the relevance of the historical background and origins of a system?

Some will focus on the details of the dates and names. The difference in the opinions of this crowd, are who is the better parrot, or who is a flunky of a better source; since nobody was there, who is writing history now.

Understanding the patterns of history reveals more about the how and why of a new development. This will help an independent thinker to learn core fundamentals, interrelationships, inner-dependencies, enabling a new consciousness.

Parrots only repeat.

Why did Da Mo find the monks at Shaolin frail if bone washing was already developed?

Was it that previously Buddhism was focused on the non-physical and unphysical?

Were Shaolin monks into other physical exercises or primarily fasting and meditation?

Could it be that the mechanics of Qigong at the time did not have corresponding movement of the limbs as Da Mo’s; and concentrated on leading Qi with the meditative mind?

Since martial arts were banned by both Mao and the Taiwan bound Chang Kai Check (1928), and Buddhism was outlawed by Mao; government accounts cannot be relied on.

For most modern students of Kung Fu, the only thing Buddhist or meditative: is sitting cross-legged or kneeling with eyes closed.

When asked, what is Buddhist about Shaolin, few know.

You have clearly missed the point, YOU are the pompous parrot here!

AND not too bright either!