Thread: Qigong

Qigong

I was looking for some help in studying Qigong. I live in an area where there are no schools or training opportunities. I was wondering if anyone could recomend good books or other study materials to help me. I also am interested in chinese medicine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

learning a pattern like a set is one thing, but when we are talking about energetics and manipulation, self study shouldn't be a route you take these days.

If you really want these things, leave where you are and go to them. You will not benefit much from books and the like in these areas because they pretty much demand time, practice and discussion to grasp with depth of understanding.

this is not just my opinion, but I would think that anyone who has made the effort to learn these things in a functional and useful way has invested much time, effort and money into acquiring these skills.

Also, in regards to TCM or Qigong, the available material that isn't simply reference for the already versed is extremely thin and much is questionable and none can be taken at face value.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Thank you for the advice. I completely understand what your saying. The problem is job and family. If I were single I would have no problem searching it out. In fact, I probably would go to China to learn. Such is not the case and I am going to have to try to learn from someone in the immediate area.

I believe it would be totally okay to travel over a weekend for lessons with someone very good, go home practice by yourself for a few weeks/months, then travel back over another weekend for follow up lessons. Rinse and repeat.

I don't really think you have to go to China initally. There are a few good books out there to start. One key is meditation and lots of meditation. I mean hours of meditation. The meditation practice takes months, years to truly master. That is absolutely your first step to Qigong practice.