Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Qigong's Buddhist Origins

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    Well, a fair point. Very well then.

I'm not so emotionally invested, I would change my mind in light of facts which show to the contrary. But as to conjecture, it doesn't sway me as much as I have plenty enough of my own along with experience of living in this culture for a long time.

It is theorised that humans evolved greater reasoning ability simply to argue more.... Enhancing survival by making better group decisions and off course to enhance ones dominance in a group . This is more why I am arguing I think! :-) I blame nature.

In closing then, Even if we look at recent events such as 911 where we have a great number of facts, there are still conflicting ideas as to what happened. If you ask me I'd say it was because of a bunch of p*ssed off muslims, but ask the rest of the world and:

So how much hope do we have of really knowing what happened 1000 years ago? How will people see us in 1000 years time? I think a spirited argument is about the best we can do.
    What is an attacl? And that guy needs a friggin' Powerpoint class. His pie graph looks horrific.

First things you always ask. Who was polled (demographics, etc)? When were they polled? And who crunched the data?

You can twist your sampling to make it look like 90% of people think eskimos did it. To invoke a famous Mark Twain quote... "There are three kinds of lies: lies, **** lies, and statistics..."
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by rett View Post
    It feels to me like Buddhism is about 1 second old right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Chinese Buddhism in general was unique because it was Mahayana and not Theravada in scope. Compounded to that unique vibe in Buddhism was the Ch'an which was seeded by the lanka vatara sutra (the lanka) and is now known as zen more widely, which was a Shaolin innovation and contribution to Buddhism.

This is one of the three treasures of Shaolin. (Ch'an/zen).

What is Buddhism? It is seeking the potential within yourself (the Tathāgata womb)to end your own suffering in life and to give you the strength of compassion to asist others in ending theirs.
    Man, buddhists are fucking smug.

Yeah, but if you get all enlightened and stuff, you'll actually get to hear Kurt Cobain play again!
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Alaska. http://jadedragonalaska.yolasite.com/

Smile Source not complete

Apparently I was in error in relying on Dr. Yang.

You are correct. The Shaolin Temple existed 122 years before Dat Mor (Damo) arrived. According to history, in the book The Travels of Wen Hsiang, Emperor Su Wen of the Wei of Northern Dynasty ordered the erection of the Shaolin Temple in honor of Buddhist Master Bhadra in 495 AD. This is also record in the book, The History of the Wei Dynasty, Chapter of Annals of Buddhism and Taoism,

Anyway when Bhadra died, Master Chou Kung succeeded as Head master..etc

What Damo did when he got to Shaolin 122 years later was that he popularized the doctrine of Zen Buddhism.
    Quote Originally Posted by extrajoseph View Post
    FF,

Try reading this:

Circulating Qi Inscription
    Xingqi ming 行氣銘 (475 B.C. – 206 B.C.), scholars consider this text to be from the earlier Warring States Period. This is the earliest available text on the meditative practice solely. It appears to be an esoteric text, short but complete. According to Li Ling’s study, the text is identified as a complete “Rendu Channeling Micro-orbit Qi Gong 任督二脈小周天氣功,” and the much later concept of upper and lower dantian 丹田 was also indicated in the text. (Li, 342-346)

From this internet source: http://literati-tradition.com/qi_gong_text_sources.html

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Everyone is smug! Even you! So get over it!

Smug is nothing but a distinction. It isn't so much that others are smug, it is that you "see" others as being smug!

The action is inside you, not others!!

What's buddhism?
    Hey, capitalize that, buddy!

Can ya blame 'em?

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    What is an attacl? And that guy needs a friggin' Powerpoint class. His pie graph looks horrific.

First things you always ask. Who was polled (demographics, etc)? When were they polled? And who crunched the data?

You can twist your sampling to make it look like 90% of people think eskimos did it. To invoke a famous Mark Twain quote... "There are three kinds of lies: lies, **** lies, and statistics..."
    Yeah, hehe. I wasn't posting it as a serious statistic, just to show that peoples opinions on things differ vastly, even when they only happened a few years ago. So if we talk about something that happened 1500 years ago we can't really form strong opinions of what happened because there is too much uncertainty. I have no idea if the above stat is completely made up or not. But it doesn't much matter for my point.

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    So if we talk about something that happened 1500 years ago we can't really form strong opinions of what happened because there is too much uncertainty.
    Stop repudiating yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Smug is nothing but a distinction. It isn't so much that others are smug, it is that you "see" others as being smug!

The action is inside you, not others!!
    Surely you have more bromides with which I may wash this self satisfaction down.

I'm telling ya, the whole subtext of taking refuge and the precepts is that a teetotaling vegetarian who can zuochan in full lotus is a straight up license to act like a self satisfied prick.

Of course, all this only so that others may achieve supremely unexcelled self satisfaction without remainder.

Jesus loves you!

lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

"When I was a Buddhist, it drove my parents and friends crazy, but when I am a buddha, nobody is upset at all." - Anonymous
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Jesus loves you!

lol

Surely you have more bromides with which I may wash this self satisfaction down.

I'm telling ya, the whole subtext of taking refuge and the precepts is that a teetotaling vegetarian who can zuochan in full lotus is a straight up license to act like a self satisfied prick.

Of course, all this only so that others may achieve supremely unexcelled self satisfaction without remainder.
    Once again, the interpretation you force onto the intentions of others is more a reflection of your own state of mind rather than theirs.
    _
    The sanctimony, the self-satisfaction you perceive in others originates within you own mind.

Like a tongue planted firmly in cheek . . .

. . or you will miss all that heavy handed irony.