Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Qigong's Buddhist Origins

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    You have clearly missed the point, YOU are the pompous parrot here!

AND not too bright either!
    Hey, he asked a bunch of good questions!

Was it that previously Buddhism was focused on the non-physical and unphysical?
    I believe there's definitely a more ascetic side within Buddhism that urges monks to be willing to discard the body for the sake of Dharma. So sometimes, under some teachers, they would be malnourished, or not exercise with the intention of strengthening the body and so on.

Perhaps this is good in small doses to help counteract attachment to the body as self. But there's precedent going all the way back to the Buddha that too much of this is an obstacle to practice.

The story of Damo seems to indicate that he found those monks at that time too feeble to meditate intensively and applied a corrective. I wouldn't draw the conclusion that Buddhism in general had been one way or another before that. Just that Damo was reacting to the local situation he faced.

Quote Originally Posted by Foiling Fist View Post
    Some will focus on the details of the dates and names. The difference in the opinions of this crowd, are who is the better parrot, or who is a flunky of a better source; since nobody was there, who is writing history now.
    I disagree. Historical research is about a lot more than just parroting. Like archaeology or paleontology it's about taking incontrovertible facts, the remnants or traces of the past as they are, and seeking to find the best possible explanation of them. That requires much more effort than just being a parrot.

What is the relevance of the historical background and origins of a system?

Some will focus on the details of the dates and names. The difference in the opinions of this crowd, are who is the better parrot, or who is a flunky of a better source; since nobody was there, who is writing history now.

Understanding the patterns of history reveals more about the how and why of a new development. This will help an independent thinker to learn core fundamentals, interrelationships, inner-dependencies, enabling a new consciousness.

Parrots only repeat.
    Whereas you make it all up as you go along.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Whereas you make it all up as you go along.
    Don't you know? It's clearly the better way to do it, that way you really live in a kung fu movie!

Quote Originally Posted by rett View Post
    Hey, he asked a bunch of good questions!
    I suppose if you ask questions that you THINK you already know the answers too, in order to show off that you already know the answers, that could be considered a good, FOR YOU, in your own eyes!

But then he just looks foolish with his canned comments based upon his narrow scope of knowledge. And so far he doesn't appear to be educate-able!

Yi Jin Jing (Qi Gung): muscle and tendon washing forms originate with the Buddhist Da Mo in 527 A.D., when Emperor Liang Wu Di invited him.

Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming also makes note of the Buddhist origins of Martial Arts.

Hsing-i and Tai Chi use Qigong as their foundation.

We are not sure if Da mo actually created the yi jing jn and Xie Sui jing.

However we have solid evidence of qigong practice from 550 era. There is a buddhist book title 小止觀by天台智者大師 or simplified meditation by the wisdom master of tian tai school of the Chinese Buddhism.

In the book different qi gung technics have been reveal. Both the Chinese qigong such as the six healing sound and Indian breathing methods are in there.

As an example,

The following is a part of the book in ancient Chinese writing.

it said,"one inch under the belly button , this location is named as yutona, here (this place , china? )called Dan tian."

脐下一寸,名忧陀那,此云「丹 田」

the name yutona is certainly Indian Buddhism related.

So, for me, this tell us, in 550, there are both Indian Buddhism and daoism qigong within the Buddhist community.

Here is the book
    http://www.utdallas.edu/~edsha/Buddhism/TiantaiMed.pdf

Last edited by Hendrik; 12-24-2011 at 04:59 PM.