Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Qigong's Buddhist Origins

Hey Ghost,

Good post.

Of course we needn't mention the clearly supernatural elements of the legends. These are fascinating enough and worthy of exploration, but not at this time. Comparative mythology and psychological archetypes allow us to understand somewhat.

Secondly we can agree that the attribution of the Physical Martial Arts to Damo is a later idea that we need not bother with. In the more serious sects I have encountered Jinnaluo as the central figure anyway.

Thirdly the Idea that Chan was not created and passed by one person. Nothing is ever so simple, but never the less I think we can agree there are major advances in all things which do center around individuals.

The above defined I can move on. The Center of the argument has to be the Lineage of Damo, and Damos presence at the Shaolin Temple.

Lets start with Lineage. I don't believe in any of the presented facts there is any piece of evidence which precludes this lineage? When looking back at lineage a lot of people somehow think that each generation is like a wall, one generation cannot know the facts of the previous, only what they are told. However this assumption is false. There is never a clear generation gap. There is an even gradation of people of all ages. And when people take disciples they often have many, although we only hear about the powerful ones.

Let me take my master as an example; I decided to go find him because I already knew who his master was. I know this because in DengFeng we have an even range of Kung Fu masters with all possible age overlaps and i have been told by younger (but still old) masters. He is 90 and could tell me anything about the 1930's DengFeng Kung fu scene and I would have no choice but to believe him right? Not exactly. Because he has other students who are now in their 50's... when they were my age other students of my masters generation where still alive and so they know the facts.

My point is this, just because my master is 90 years old, he cannot just make up facts about the 30's because even though he is the oldest now, people younger than him now remember when people older than him lived, and their stories. So through the overlap of generations there is a limit to how much embellishment each generation can add to a story.

A similar thing would have happened with the early generations of Chan. One couldn't make up the facts of his predecessor because chances are he wasn't the only disciple and other people would remember the older disciples, especially in a closed temple environment. Even if the torch passes A-C-E-G-I The generation B would have been known to both A and C, the generation D would have been known to both C and E. And B knew D. If C teaches E then E has only a 2nd hand connection to B (through D as well as C). It is complicated but means that there is a limit to embellishment.

If we apply this to the early generations of Chan there is only 170 years (approx) between Damo and the Shaolin lineage record. This is a short time when you consider the overlap of generations. It doesn't make sense for it to be completely fabricated. Certainly legends can be born (especially in a time before clear science when the supernatural is believable and a way of life). But I do not believe the lineage could be so easily corrupted. Not only would they have had more records to work with in 710 but also the living memory of many old monks. When they wrote stuff down then, it would have had to already been reasonably well established.

So there is a limit to what people can make up. (i probably overdid that example a bit huh?).

Unless there is an alternative lineage presented in the evidence, we really have little evidence to say against this one. You may argue 'Why must there be a lineage at all, Chan is probably the collection of ideas of many over time?'. While this may be true I think in all things there are Major players. Einstein was not the first to write the equation E=MC^2, yet he is wholly credited with it, because he put it all together in a coherent way. Even though he stood on the shoulders of giants we recognise him as the 'Lineage holder'. And deservedly so.

There is a great deal about the human condition we can learn through myth and legend. I agree historical fact is paramount, but it must be researched with responsibility. In history such a great deal of opinion is present in analysis, its not like physics. It is not enough to say something is false, one has to find out both why it is false and what the actual truth was before it becomes useful to say it is false. In this case I think there is far too much conjecture. I realise I myself am conjecturing a great deal indeed, but I have records over 1000 years old which back up the Damo story to fall back on.
    Last edited by RenDaHai; 11-21-2011 at 05:09 AM.

In the 6th 7th and 8th centuries, Buddhism had only just been introduced into China. In the 20th century; over a thousand years. Point is the context of your assumption is all wrong, and that is only one small part of the context. You can't compare your experiences in 20th century Dengfeng to the 5th, 6th ,7th centuries.

Unless there is an alternative lineage presented in the evidence, we really have little evidence to say against this one.
    Why?

Evidence for or against is not dependent upon the existence of an alternative.

So Chan is basically just a glorified form of ancestor worship? Without a lineage it becomes meaningless?

It is not enough to say something is false, one has to find out both why it is false and what the actual truth was before it becomes useful to say it is false. In this case I think there is far too much conjecture.
    Actually, it is enough. The truth that replaces it can be nothing more than "this was false".
    Truth and meaning can be utterly superfluous. Who is to say what is or isn't useful and necessary? Falsehoods are not dependent upon some arbitrary definition of pragmatism.

It is not enough to say it is true, you have to have evidence. You have to be critical of your sources and mindful of assumptions.

Nice discussion here. Interesting points on all sides. Very polite debate by the usual standards here. Rendahai has been particularly valiant (and courteous) in his role as 'defender of tradition.'

As far as I can tell, all the evidence discussed leaves the question of Damo as pretty inconclusive. Seems to me like until further discoveries it is a matter of choice--whether we choose suspended belief or suspended disbelief.

My leanings are toward RenDaHai's arguments, but I believe that has more to do with my personal disposition than with evidence. My scholarly interests have always leaned toward story and its truths over history and its truths. While it would be nice to know what really happened, it would be a real tragedy to lose the legends. As long as the legends aren't confused for historical fact, I think we'll be okay. King Arthur and Camelot live on, despite the fact they certainly never were as we 'remember' them.

But yeah, for now it doesn't seem we can be certain of anything...except where tea comes from.

haha...wrote this while you were writing Ren...funny we both brought Arthur in.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    In the 6th 7th and 8th centuries, Buddhism had only just been introduced into China. In the 20th century; over a thousand years. Point is the context of your assumption is all wrong, and that is only one small part of the context. You can't compare your experiences in 20th century Dengfeng to the 5th, 6th ,7th centuries..
    The human condition has changed little in this time period. So yeah it is comparable since I was talking about the way humans age. Its not like we go into heat every 15 years and a new batch of humans is born. At the time the gradation of age would have been the same.... Perhaps the life expectancy a little lower.

Why?

So Chan is basically just a glorified form of ancestor worship? Without a lineage it becomes meaningless?
    What I meant here is that if in the evidence presented there existed an alternative lineage, then that would be good evidence against the current story. Since no alternative exists in the evidence, then the evidence is pretty weak. For example if a text said it was actually King Arthur who started Zen, then that is an argument. But in the evidence there is not an actual conflict. No alternative means no conflict.

Actually, it is enough. The truth that replaces it can be nothing more than "this was false".
    Truth and meaning can be utterly superfluous. Who is to say what is or isn't useful and necessary? Falsehoods are not dependent upon some arbitrary definition of pragmatism.

It is not enough to say it is true, you have to have evidence. You have to be critical of your sources and mindful of assumptions.
    In science what you say is true. if something isn't true and doesn't work then just call it false and get rid of it. But history is not like science. History is part of our very identity. True or false it is useful to us.

Since true or false history is still useful, then without presenting an alternative you are making it less useful because you are effectively taking away information. Even if the current version is wrong it may contain elements of truth, in which case it truer than nothing at all.

Okay...? I'm not psychic...5 minutes ago the last post came before mine, now it moved...that was weird.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDan View Post
    Nice discussion here. Interesting points on all sides. Very polite debate by the usual standards here. Rendahai has been particularly valiant (and courteous) in his role as 'defender of tradition.'

As far as I can tell, all the evidence discussed leaves the question of Damo as pretty inconclusive. Seems to me like until further discoveries it is a matter of choice--whether we choose suspended belief or suspended disbelief.

My leanings are toward RenDaHai's arguments, but I believe that has more to do with my personal disposition than with evidence. My scholarly interests have always leaned toward story and its truths over history and its truths. While it would be nice to know what really happened, it would be a real tragedy to lose the legends. As long as the legends aren't confused for historical fact, I think we'll be okay. King Arthur and Camelot live on, despite the fact they certainly never were as we 'remember' them.

But yeah, for now it doesn't seem we can be certain of anything...except where tea comes from.
    Thanks for that. Yeah, strange we both thought of Arthur.. hehe. One of the coolest legends. I just figured the time period was about the same.

I am a believer in the power of stories and how they shape our lives. So if a story and history coincide that very satisfying for me. I want to be absolutely sure before I change my opinion. Although I am probably over defending a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDan View Post
    Okay...? I'm not psychic...5 minutes ago the last post came before mine, now it moved...that was weird.
    Yeah it was, I edited out some spelling errors, that was strange

No one in Deng Feng has lied about lineage in the last one hundred years? That's quaint bordering on naive. This is China we are talking about right? They invented graft.

All it takes is one person. The reasons are immaterial.

Usefulness is an interpretation, history is indifferent.

The legends are in no danger of dying out because of some critical scholarship, but if your faith is so easily shaken. . .

No one in Deng Feng has lied about lineage in the last one hundred years? That's quaint bordering on naive. This is China we are talking about right? They invented graft.
    I don't think I said anything quite resembling this statement. In my particular lineage I am pretty certain of the last few masters because of multiple sources and first hand info.

All it takes is one person. The reasons are immaterial.

Usefulness is an interpretation, history is indifferent.

The legends are in no danger of dying out because of some critical scholarship, but if your faith is so easily shaken. . .
    I think through my arguments on this topic I have proved my faith is most certainly not easily shaken. I believe there is some danger in legends dying out when people think too factually. But perhaps I am over sensitive on this one topic, it being so close to home. I must also learn to be more objective.
    Last edited by RenDaHai; 11-21-2011 at 10:45 AM.

While I can appreciate an interest in the foundations of Ch'an, what is important is not the origins, but does it work.

If it works for you, the origins are immaterial and frankly I think Bodhidharma would agree!

At least Master Yuan, Hui-neng, and Huang Po would!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    While I can appreciate an interest in the foundations of Ch'an, what is important is not the origins, but does it work.

If it works for you, the origins are immaterial and frankly I think Bodhidharma would agree!

At least Master Yuan, Hui-neng, and Huang Po would!
    oh, go play with your Wang...

Alaska. http://jadedragonalaska.yolasite.com/
    In the 6th 7th and 8th centuries, Buddhism had only just been introduced into China. In the 20th century; over a thousand years. Point is the context of your assumption is all wrong, and that is only one small part of the context. You can't compare your experiences in 20th century Dengfeng to the 5th, 6th ,7th centuries.

Why?

Good logic, thanks.

Alaska. http://jadedragonalaska.yolasite.com/

Where is the Ancient Taoist Qigong Detailed; NOWHERE

Regarding:
    'Below shows the archaic writing carved on the jade piece mentioned and my rough translation:

"To move the Qi, breathe in deeply to store, to store is to elongate, to elongate is to sink, to sink is to consolidate, to consolidate is to breath out (like young shoots), to breath out is to grow, to grow is to "retreat" (to repeat), to retreat is heavenly, Heaven is above and Earth is below, (therefore) to go with is to live, to go against is to die."

"To go with", is to breathe naturally and deeply, to follow the forces of nature (e.g. gravity), the time of the day and the seasons, is to live a long life, to go against them is to die early.'

This could describe flute playing or mere breath control.

This is not Qigong, if you claim it is; produce a training manual comparable to Da Mo's bone washing and show your lineage's foundation on its unique properties.
    Last edited by Foiling Fist; 11-23-2011 at 09:58 AM.