Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To Choke, Strangle or Twist?

To Choke, Strangle or Twist?

Ok,

So you have an easy opening to apply some kind of head grasping technique, what in your experience causes the most and fastest discomfort and most difficulty for him to counter? Using any type of hold do you;

Focus on crushing the wind pipe?

Focus on strangling the arteries?

Focus on twisting the neck using some kind of pivot like the chin or a fishhook or facelock e.t.c?

Some kind of combination of any of the above?

Something else entirely?

I always find I am made most uncomfortable with neck twisting, but I rarely use it myself as I am rather squeamish about applying it in sparring.

If I can grab the head for me the most discomfort is causes by ramming it into a brick wall, or clinching it and kneeing it off lol

I always find I am made most uncomfortable with neck twisting, but I rarely use it myself as I am rather squeamish about applying it in sparring.

Neck twisting is hard to pull off in a live environment, as are certain facelock (gromit etc) they look good in demos but are easy to slip out of when sweaty or just simple resist or counter, now the crossface does work and is a form of twisting, but its normally a last resort when they are close in and on your hips/legs and not a go to move

As for grabbing the chin well grab my chin with one hand and the back of the head with the other, and what do you think im going to do? Personally ill suplex your a$$ for being that close and giving me access to your body

Choke wise crushing the winfpipe (as in the gulitione I am weary of, it’s a pain move and can cause damage if applied too hard, I prefer chokes that attack the blood supply to the brain, hard to resist and work on everyone (well apart from Rickson

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    For pain the Vegas nerve choke. Harder to get and harder to maintain but if set right hurts like your neck is being snapped.

Old reliable the RNC is still one of the most effective in terms of percentage.

Of the three differing types of chokes, air, blood, pain, a combination is always your best bet.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

These all depend on the situation. All techniques that "kill" are different from techniques that "subdue" or submit and these are different than techniques that "control".

Crushing the Wind Pipe = Kill

Strangling the Artery = Subdue

Twist the Neck = Control

I would really have to in a dire situation to kill someone. Subdue and Control just will depend on each situation.

ginosifu

Cool posts, cheers guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    As for grabbing the chin well grab my chin with one hand and the back of the head with the other, and what do you think im going to do? Personally ill suplex your a$$ for being that close and giving me access to your body
    I think I see what you mean, but with the chin I was thinking kind of from a standard front headlock, my torso against the back of your head, me somewhat sprawled. Then keeping pressure against your head with my body, twisting your chin to one side and up, if you see what I mean?
    Last edited by RenDaHai; 11-09-2011 at 06:56 AM.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    I'm not real reliant on the front head lock. Someone with there arms down by your legs gives them to much advantage in my opinion. Easy for them to counter.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    Ok,

So you have an easy opening to apply some kind of head grasping technique, what in your experience causes the most and fastest discomfort and most difficulty for him to counter? Using any type of hold do you;

Focus on crushing the wind pipe?

Focus on strangling the arteries?

Focus on twisting the neck using some kind of pivot like the chin or a fishhook or facelock e.t.c?

Some kind of combination of any of the above?

Something else entirely?

1. I like to place my hand or arm on the back of the opponent's neck to throw him.

It is easy to push his neck joint down from the back.

2. I also like to do a spine lock or arm around his waist and push his neck joint up and back as if removing his eyebrows or wa mei. It can be a throw or restrain.

safer for you and the opponent.

and not easy for the opponent to counter. that is.

Problem with crushing the windpipe is that you now have someone who has a solid 1-1.5 minutes of "I am in mortal danger, possibly/probably mortally injured, and must do anything and everything I can do to survive". Have fun with THAT Tazmanian devil...
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Problem with crushing the windpipe is that you now have someone who has a solid 1-1.5 minutes of "I am in mortal danger, possibly/probably mortally injured, and must do anything and everything I can do to survive". Have fun with THAT Tazmanian devil...
    Good point...

Say guys, does anyone know how difficult it is to actually break someones neck?

Just out of curiosity.... Jack bower makes it look easy.

Pretty freaking difficult...

Unless you are Andre the Giant, then perhaps...
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    my chiropractor cranks me pretty hard.
    I'm still here.

..unless I'm a zombie.....
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Cool posts, cheers guys!

I think I see what you mean, but with the chin I was thinking kind of from a standard front headlock, my torso against the back of your head, me somewhat sprawled. Then keeping pressure against your head with my body, twisting your chin to one side and up, if you see what I mean?
    For me the front head lock works best when they are turtled (quarter position for you wrestlers) then I can keep my legs away, and they twisting the head can work, normally used to take the back or turn them over rather than submit

Standing I like the guillotine, and the arm in choke first is quick and second keeps them off my legs

As for breaking the neck, ive been thrown so hard on my head ive had what they term a stinger more than onc and it was not nice, but nothing broke, onle ever seen one persons neck broke and that was a lift and dump of a head outside single with there full bodyweight landing on the neck, see the thread about braulio estima I started for a video of this

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I am with Frost- from the rear, rnc, (seatbelt to bring'em down, then snake in the rnc.)from the front, guillotine. When I do a guillotine, I try to use a figure-4 lock, and then if I need to, rotate my wrist into the trachea. They always tap.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

To snap and break the neck you will need an acute angle and Fa Jing (explosive power). Look at my clip to see how to turn the neck and sit him on the ground and then turn their head sideways and snap downward:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj4D7BtOMzA

ginosifu