Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Touch surface or go into detail?

Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    To reiterate, a bjj black belt with business savvy pulls every bit as much money in as a cma teacher with business savvy, despite the fact that the entirety of bjj is available in print. Open technique level analysis and discussion is common online and in print for bjj, muay thai, boxing, wrestling, judo, etc. This has been a boon to those arts, and mainly hurts the teachers teaching "mma" who do not have a real familiarity with mma, since those styles play so heavily into many people's mma.
    there is so much kung fu out there. I would love to see everything in print: forms, techniques, etc. but the fact is. there is probably 100x more stuff in kung fu then BJJ.

Sure most of it is garbage that you probably wouldn't be able to use. but there are already books out there of "Police kung fu", "effective and easy chin na", "combat kung fu" etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BakShaolinEC View Post
    there is so much kung fu out there. I would love to see everything in print: forms, techniques, etc. but the fact is. there is probably 100x more stuff in kung fu then BJJ.

Sure most of it is garbage that you probably wouldn't be able to use. but there are already books out there of "Police kung fu", "effective and easy chin na", "combat kung fu" etc.
    I think the differences between kung fu styles is overstated in most cases. The footwork is the same in the vast majority. Most of the hand techniques are merely variations of the same things. Technique level discussion of any kung fu style is effectively technique level discussion of most kung fu styles.

Hell, I'm the ONLY member on here who does my style, and I find most of the good discussions very applicable to what I do.

I think the differences between kung fu styles is overstated in most cases. The footwork is the same in the vast majority. Most of the hand techniques are merely variations of the same things. Technique level discussion of any kung fu style is effectively technique level discussion of most kung fu styles
    agreed. then lets not beat it to death again. its all the practitioner. not the style.

It is interesting because my base system of Pai Lum contains a mixture of Hawain Kempo, Goju-Ryu Karate, Hung Gar, Shaolin, Seven Star Mantis, and god knows what else. Pretty much anything Dan Pai learned he incorporated into the system as did his senior students, most of which were already accomplished martial artists. My teacher's teacher was an accompished Judoka.

And ironically enough, with all that mixture and mismatch, when done correctly it looks like pretty much all other martial arts.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

The reason I posted the link to that mag that I did is because I like the way they do things. Like they'd take one technique - they'd go into details about it, then do a section on drilling methods for that one technique. Plus they'd scratch on variations that you might see with that technique. Then - they'd do a video tie in on youtube

It's waayyy cool.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    The reason I posted the link to that mag that I did is because I like the way they do things. Like they'd take one technique - they'd go into details about it, then do a section on drilling methods for that one technique. Plus they'd scratch on variations that you might see with that technique. Then - they'd do a video tie in on youtube

It's waayyy cool.
    I agree. 98765

Blog Entries
    In online discussion, you may just touch the surface 1st. If people are

- interest in your subject, you may go a layer deeper.
    - not interest in your subject, the discussion could just end right there.

In a magazine, the amount of information is fixed. There will be no continuation after that.

SECRETS seem to only be for English speaking audiences!

The attitude we see in the U.S. that certain techniques, forms, etc. must be kept from the masses is definitely a phenomenon of our culture.

However, modern Chinese literature tells all.

For example, I do not know of a single book in the English language that deals with the Ba Zhou (eight elbows) form of Tanglangquan in depth. Yet, Chinese books and VCDs/DVDs cover this form in depth and in its entirety. Quanpu, how to and applications taught by respected masters are all open to the reader.

It is silly to pretend that certain things are still secret. Actually, you just have to know where to look.

Knowledge is power and some withhold knowledge to elevate themselves above others. As long as they can convince others that only they hold THE SECRET, they can keep their followers loyal to them.

One reason that I post my translations of Chinese texts on this forum rather than submitting them for publication in magazines or books is to make the information available to everyone. The cat has been out of the bag for years. Many have just been kept in the dark about the fact.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Blog Entries
    My concern is nobody forced you to write article in magazine. If you don't feel like to write, you don't have to. If you do feel like to write, why just release partial information (unless you don't know the rest)? I don't believe any professor would not teach his students all he knows in his class.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-11-2011 at 01:26 AM.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post

The attitude we see in the U.S. that certain techniques, forms, etc. must be kept from the masses is definitely a phenomenon of our culture.

For example, I do not know of a single book in the English language that deals with the Ba Zhou (eight elbows) form of Tanglangquan in depth. Yet, Chinese books and VCDs/DVDs cover this form in depth and in its entirety. Quanpu, how to and applications taught by respected masters are all open to the reader.

It is silly to pretend that certain things are still secret. Actually, you just have to know where to look.

Knowledge is power and some withhold knowledge to elevate themselves above others. As long as they can convince others that only they hold THE SECRET, they can keep their followers loyal to them.
    Good point. Years back, there were some people who, because they had various
    Kuen po translations, thought that they were the sheit, and made no bones about bringing it up at every opportunity-articles, online forums, etc.
    It turned out, that what they did NOT possess, was the hand, the real understanding of the technique, and the skill to use it.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Hell, I'm the ONLY member on here who does my style, and I find most of the good discussions very applicable to what I do.
    yep-same here.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Blog Entries
    In order to be able to pick up some useful information from any magazine article, you will need to have some basic TCMA knowledge. Here is one example:

A: How did you "inner hook" him?
    B: I fake him first.
    A: How did you fake him?
    B: I knee him.

If you don't understand the term "inner hook", or if you can't connect the fake "knee him" with "inner hook", the above discussion won't make any sense to you. In online discussion, you can ask someone to provide more detail. In a magazine article, you just don't have that luxury.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-11-2011 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    My concern is nobody forced you to write article in magazine. If you don't feel like to write, you don't have to. If you do feel like to write, why just release partial information (unless you don't know the rest)? I don't believe any professor would not teach his students all he knows in his class.
    This is spot on. Part of the problem is that the medium and the market often does not allow for it. Readers are not necessarily buying 1500 word articles that are dense with real content. So people write about rope darts, and it's like "They're deadly. They fit in your pants. They were in China." With about 1470 extra words, and some pictures.

One reason that I post my translations of Chinese texts on this forum rather than submitting them for publication in magazines or books is to make the information available to everyone. The cat has been out of the bag for years. Many have just been kept in the dark about the fact.
    Richard has toe kicked the correct in the crotch !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Blog Entries
    IMO, SECRET does exist. For example, How do you counter when your body is lifted in the air by your opponent's "leg lift (Uchi Mata)" throw?

http://www.judoinfo.com/images/anima...e/uchimata.htm

When someone tells you the answer, it won't worth a penny. But when you don't know, you just don't know.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-11-2011 at 12:54 PM.