Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Touch surface or go into detail?

Blog Entries

Touch surface or go into detail?

Just talked to a Kung Fu Magazine editor on the phone. He asked my opinion about his magazine. I told him that I feel most of the articles just don't have enough detail in it. He said when most people wrote their articles, they didn't like to give away all the detail. It might be hard for them to obtain such information, it makes no sense to give away to the public for free.

My concern is, if you don't give enough detail, how will people be able to tell whether you try to hide information, or you just don't know? This also apply to our online discussion.

In all discussions, if you just

- touch the surafce, people will say that you don't know anything.
    - go into detail, people will say that you try to show off, and shove your idea into other's throat.

What's your opinion on this?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-09-2011 at 02:06 PM.

I don't understand the whole thing about not giving it away for free thing. Kung fu is about working hard at obtaining a skill and that skill can't be passed from one person to another by words, it's done by feel. Sure words can add to the transmission, but only to a certain extent.

Blog Entries
    Is it "stupid" to give information away for free?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-09-2011 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Is it "stupid" to give information away for free?
    its "stupid" only if you're giving it to the "stupid"

I doubt there's a technique left on this planet that you can't Google.

Being vague only opens yourself up for criticism. We are steadily leaving the world where just because you have silk pajamas, a gi with a billion patches, or developed "TEH DEADLIEZ" fighting art based on your three year enlistment in the Army, doesn't mean people are going to listen to you?

Grandmaster? Black Belt? So what? Show me the money!

It's a cynical outlook, but it's true.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

[QUOTE=Drake;1142248]I doubt there's a technique left on this planet that you can't Google.
    QUOTE]

while this may be true, there are some people who can perform a technique with a lot less effort than most.

in kung fu, there is an expression, "touch hands". refinements in certain techniques hard to described in words or even on video. often times it has to be felt. and usually, you show it when the students ready.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    I doubt there's a technique left on this planet that you can't Google.
    IMO, the technique is important but how to set it up is even more important. To use a hook punch to set up a turn back/hook kick is an excellent idea. Not everybody know that combo.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/2...1092556new.gif
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-09-2011 at 03:28 PM.

back on topic, i say "go into detail". it may or may not sink in, depending on the student's development & understanding. it may even help some get over a hurdle in their development.

we no longer need to hide pugilistic elements from other people for self preservations sake. martial techniques are no longer sensitive information. this is an old mindset and tactic, carried on by traditionalists for no other reason besides that was how things were done when not letting your enemies know the methods by which you train to kill was important.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    it's already been done somewhere at sometime and is probably on the net. What's the use of hiding anything? Put it out there to be crit. and expand on the information given. This is the problem I see with TCMA, they try to state that things are "hidden" and can only be got through some mystical connection. Bullsh!t. Nothing that can't be explained through modern means, if your afraid to put it out there because of people tearing it appart, then it must not be a very effective thing then therefore not worth the time.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

i think since we are able to reverse map the universe to point of origin and understand the complex process in which things have come into being, then i think trying to hide your martial art methods or techniques is irrelevant. we are so far past that.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Just talked to a Kung Fu Magazine editor on the phone. He asked my opinion about his magazine. I told him that I feel most of the articles just don't have enough detail in it. He said when most people wrote their articles, they didn't like to give away all the detail. It might be hard for them to obtain such information, it makes no sense to give away to the public for free.

My concern is, if you don't give enough detail, how will people be able to tell whether you try to hide information, or you just don't know? This also apply to our online discussion.

In all discussions, if you just

- touch the surafce, people will say that you don't know anything.
    - go into detail, people will say that you try to show off, and shove your idea into other's throat.

100% Agree with you. I have no interest in articles that talk about "the deadly digits of Wudang" that talk about interesting looking things in zero detail.

Sadly, if I want to become familiar with techniques or a style of kung fu, I always watch youtube clips of SJ or sanshou or, depending on the source, push hands. Almost all articles are for beginners, and not beginners of that style, but people with no possibility of ever practicing whatever the article is about. I have two articles I wrote a little while back that I've just basically shelved because I find that, given the limitations of the medium, either lack the space to cover anything meaningful other than pointlessly introducing the style, which no one is likely to find a teacher of anyway, or arguing a practice that is useful, but frankly, shouldn't need arguing, and is probably better argued by results.
    Last edited by Taixuquan99; 11-09-2011 at 05:05 PM.

secrets were important in old times when people used to compete on lei tai for money. today its used to control your students and feed your ego.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

John,
    Excellent post topic!

Just talked to a Kung Fu Magazine editor on the phone. He asked my opinion about his magazine. I told him that I feel most of the articles just don't have enough detail in it. He said when most people wrote their articles, they didn't like to give away all the detail.
    This is why I do not subscribe to any MA magazines. Most articles seem to be fluff or deal with issues I care nothing about.
    I may purchase a magazine at the local bookstore if I see something of interest in it. But I probably buy only one or two issues a year.

In all discussions, if you... go into detail, people will say that you try to show off, and shove your idea into other's throat.
    It amazes me when peeps get ****ed because someone is sharing things that are perceived as "teh secret" or "teh deadly". This is usually a sign that someone feels another is getting in the way of their own self-promotion.

Put up, or shut up! Less fluff, more stuff! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    secrets were important in old times when people used to compete on lei tai for money. today its used to control your students and feed your ego.
    Sometimes Bawang is a GENIUS!!!
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 11-09-2011 at 06:21 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Good points. I stopped subscribing to MA mags as well, due to the fact that one, they only scratched the surface, or showed fluff, two; the techniques shown were mostly crap applications, or three: they were articles on bullsh1t made up styles, just to fill the rag.

I would subscribe again in a heartbeat, if the articles were well written, and presented good material, good techniques, methods, and more in depth.
    But, I can't single-handedly write every issue...
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.