Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: kung fu baseball bats

kung fu baseball bats

Looks like the kung fu weapon of choice back in the Motherland of Kung Fu is----baseball bats. They are popular in Taiwan too.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,6271961.story

Tiger Claw should start carrying a line.

take care,
    Brian

they're all filled with cork. they must be the sammy sosa limited edition.

Any bat forms to post?
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Slightly OT...

Props to Master Chen Sitan for such a high profile demo.
    Chinese Kungfu kicks off New York Mets
    Updated: 2013-09-15 05:30
    By Hu Haidan and Amy He (chinadaily.com.cn)

The 5th annual An Evening of Chinese Culture hit Citi Field, the home of the New York Mets baseball team, on the evening of a game against the Miami Marlins on Friday.

The event featured kungfu and taichi performances from over 200 participants, led by 2-time world champion winner SitanChan and Chinese ribbon dance.

An Evening of Chinese Culture was sponsored by the Sino-American Friendship Association and the Sino-American Culture and Arts Foundation, created to give baseball fans insight into China through the country’s traditional cultural forms.

Among the dignitaries present were Sun Guoxiang, Chinese Consul General in New York, Peter Koo, Council Member of Queens, Margaret Lam, board of director of the New Jersey Chinese-American Chamber of Commerce, LuoDePaoli, executive vice president of the Mets, Xu Yaping, Director of China National Tourist Office in New York, Peter Zhang, President of Sino-American Friendship Association and Li Li, executive vice president of Sino-American Friendship Association and president of Sino-American Culture & Arts Foundation.

Sun threw the ceremonial first pitch for the game.

"I think a Chinese culture night will facilitate a culturalexchange between Chinese and Americans," said Sun. "Having a kungfu performance before the game is a wonderful way to promote Chinese culture," he added.

Li Li, executive vice president of Sino-American Friendship Association and president of Sino-American Culture & Arts Foundation, said it is a wonderful night for Chinese culture meets Western sport.

"I believe that language can be a barrier, but music and culture can meet and communicate without barrier and beyond boarders," Li said.

Koo, council member of Queens also attended the culture night.

"Flushing has the highest concentration of Asian-Americans in New York, so here is a great place to host culture event like this," he said.

The China National Tourism Office (CNTO) has been supporting the An Evening of Chinese Culture for three years.

Throughout the game, a video provided by the CNTO featuring China’s natural landscapes was shown throughout the stadium.

The event was hosted to coincide with Mid-Autumn Festival, which takes place on the 15th day of the eighth-month on the Chinese lunar calendar. It is one of the most important holidays in Chinese culture when family members gather for celebrations that include carrying lanterns, performing dances and eating pastries named moon cakes.

Many US officials sent congratulatory letters to support the event, including ones from mayor Bloomberg ofNew York, governor Chris Christie of New Jersey, and governor Dannel Malloy of Connecticut, among others.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Using a club is pretty standard form throughout time. A Baseball bat is a ready made easy to get club.

Like a machete is a ready made, easy to get broadsword...

If impromptu conflict is upon you, it's likely you won't have time to pick up your antique weapons...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

You mean you don't carry a guandao around with you? You're just not taking this seriously.

Blog Entries
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

A bat is actually a crappy weapon

Bats are top heavy, designed for one blow, like an executioner's sword. If you swing and strike, it's difficult to follow up.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Bats are top heavy, designed for one blow, like an executioner's sword. If you swing and strike, it's difficult to follow up.
    Keep swinging!

Figure 8s!

Also, you can poke with them like you poke with a staff or spear.
    It hurts.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

That's the spirit, DJ!

Do you prefer hardwood or alloy? Have you advanced to twin bat yet?

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

i just thought i would do my civic duty and let you guys know about these things called batons. they are like bats, but they dont suck.

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    i just thought i would do my civic duty and let you guys know about these things called batons. they are like bats, but they dont suck.

Unfortunately, those collapsible batons are very illegal, at least where I am. In the home, I'd probably prefer a good ball peen hammer.

well sheet if we're going illegal just carry a machete understrapped to your back!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Do you prefer hardwood or alloy? Have you advanced to twin bat yet?

Hardwood. I have an awesome little league louisville. Perfect. Heavy enough, but light enough.

Lucas, I have a few of those extendable batons. They are cool in some situations, horrible in others. Not the most structurally sound club out there. So if you wanna walk on somebody and take out their legs, maybe a quick swipe to the head, they work great. More than that, not so reliable. I found out the hard way. Shoulda known.

Jimbo, They aren't illegal in Canada, so it surprises me that they are in the US. You can have an AR but not a piece of shit baton? What if it doesn't collapse? Maybe it's illegal for the same reasons butterfly knives are illegal in canada... none of which make much sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    well sheet if we're going illegal just carry a machete understrapped to your back!
    Or you can just carry a sidearm.